Purdue's Pegram to Transfer - Full DRC Story

Harry

One of the first families of North Texas football is sending another one of its top talents to Denton.

Reggie Pegram, a former Dallas Madison standout who spent the first two seasons of his career at Purdue, confirmed Tuesday afternoon that he will enroll at UNT.

The 5-foot-9, 210-pound running back is a cousin of both UNT Athletic Hall of Fame running back Erric Pegram and Brandon Kennedy, a two-time Sun Belt Conference Player of the Year who has a good case to be enshrined in the next few years.

Reggie Pegram visited UNT during spring practice and was at UNT’s spring game.

“The coaching staff and the stadium convinced me,” Pegram said of why he decided to enroll at UNT. “Coach Mac [uNT head coach Dan McCarney] is a good coach and a great man. He showed that he wanted me. We had a man-to-man talk. We understood each other. I know what I have to do to be on the team and do great things.”

Pegram will have two years of eligibility remaining at UNT. What has yet to be determined is when he will begin his career with the Mean Green.

Pegram said that he will apply for a hardship waiver from the NCAA that would give him immediate eligibility on the basis of the health of his mother, who has a heart condition and lives in the area. Pegram said he will join the team in July.

When he is given a scholarship will depend on if his appeal is granted. Pegram said he could be put on scholarship right away if his appeal goes through. If that appeal is denied, he could have to wait until after the fall semester.

Pegram will extend a decorated history for his family at UNT when he does become eligible.

Erric Pegram led UNT in rushing in 1989 and 1990 before going on to an eight-year career in the NFL with the New York Giants, San Diego Chargers, Pittsburgh Steelers and Atlanta Falcons.

Erric Pegram rushed for 1,185 yards with the Falcons in 1993 and finished with 3,398 career rushing yards. He was inducted into the UNT Athletic Hall of Fame in 1999.

Kennedy was the Sun Belt Player of the Year 2002 and 2003 and posted 61 tackles for loss in his career.

Reggie Pegram and Kennedy play basketball on a regular basis.

“North Texas got a steal,” Erric Pegram said. “He was highly recruited and is a Division I running back for sure. He has a great attitude. I talk with his father all the time. I told him that North Texas would be a good fit for him. It will be a fresh start. They have a new coach and a new stadium.”

Read more: http://www.dentonrc.com/sports/colleges/north-texas-headlines/20120516-unt-notebook-purdues-pegram-to-transfer.ece