Tuesday Coaches Caravan

JRock

Seriously.....the Dallas location has to change and someone has to take ownership of it. We had less than 20 fans (I counted)... the rest was staff and a couple of bartenders. I am jealous of all those that got to go tonight.

I went to Dallas location last year and there was a bad turnout then. I feel like the Plano and Dallas caravans are too close geographically. Maybe if it was somewhere near 75 and 635 you could catch our alum in east Dallas and those that live in Richardson/Allen/McKinney on their way home from work.

• Upvote 1

I went to Dallas location last year and there was a bad turnout then. I feel like the Plano and Dallas caravans are too close geographically. Maybe if it was somewhere near 75 and 635 you could catch our alum in east Dallas and those that live in Richardson/Allen/McKinney on their way home from work.

that is where I disagree...where it is held is just 3 miles from that intersection. I feel that somewhere near downtown would be more preferable.... catch those that live in all of Dallas and not just the north end. The fact is that we should never use the Hilton for that again since it has failed twice.

that is where I disagree...where it is held is just 3 miles from that intersection. I feel that somewhere near downtown would be more preferable.... catch those that live in all of Dallas and not just the north end. The fact is that we should never use the Hilton for that again since it has failed twice.

I just don't know how many working downtown/uptown are UNT alum, and south Dallas has zero UNT alum. I live/work down here but I can't tell you how infrequently I run into UNT alum/see UNT shirts being worn/UNT car decorations in this area. Plus I think we'd struggle with getting that don't live/work here to mess with downtown parking.

I just feel Plano & Dallas locations are already en route for those that commute via the Dallas North Tollway, so moving one to those along 75 would be beneficial. Plus 635 traffic is SO bad those 3 miles west on 635 are just brutal.

• Upvote 1

You know, we hear stuff like "we need more events in Dallas" all the time. Then an event is held in Dallas and we are told maybe 20-30 people bothered to attend. It doesn't matter where the location is in Dallas. It's not the location...it's the apathy of Dallas based fans it seems to me. If you really cared, it seems you could find a way to attend...no matter the location. At the Denton event we had Dallas and Ft. Worth fans...and in Plano I know there were attendees from other areas as well who could not make any of the other locations, but found a way to drive the extra distance to get to the Plano and/or Denton events. I could only attend the Ft. Worth event last year which was held in the Stockyards area. I made sure I got there in time from Lewisville where I work.

I also know that several Dallas based folks went to Plano and Denton, so that could have cut down on the Dallas crowd a bit, but really, in Dallas 20-30 show up? Really?

So, what's up with the Dallas "fan base"? I realize that the Hilton is not the greatest of locations, and maybe that will change for next year...but to blame the small crowd size on the location is simply not fair or correct. The problem is the lack of interest in the "fan base" in Dallas. heck there are more than 200 grads living or working within 4 miles of the Hilton location...I would bet any amount you want on that. So, to say it was the location that made the difference...well, I'm not buying that AT ALL.

Get off your rear ends PEOPLE! You want events in Dallas? Show up!

Now, all that being said...and after two poor turnouts at the Hilton location, it behooves the Athletic Dept. to look closely at a new location for next year's event. If I were in charge of finding the location, I would definitely consider a move after a post-event re-cap meeting. There has to be a site that would work better and be more accessible.

So...where? And, if the turnout is as poor next year, I'd consider not even holding one in Dallas...maybe the Grapevine area or more south. You want events in Dallas, show up when events are held. Make it a priority. I'll bet the folks who did find their way to the Dallas event had a great time.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 2

You know, we hear stuff like "we need more events in Dallas" all the time. Then an event is held in Dallas and we are told maybe 20-30 people bothered to attend. It doesn't matter where the location is in Dallas. It's not the location...it's the apathy of Dallas based fans it seems to me. If you really cared, it seems you could find a way to attend...no matter the location. At the Denton event we had Dallas and Ft. Worth fans...and in Plano I know there were attendees from other areas as well who could not make any of the other locations, but found a way to drive the extra distance to get to the Plano and/or Denton events. I could only attend the Ft. Worth event last year which was held in the Stockyards area. I made sure I got there in time from Lewisville where I work.

I also know that several Dallas based folks went to Plano and Denton, so that could have cut down on the Dallas crowd a bit, but really, in Dallas 20-30 show up? Really?

So, what's up with the Dallas "fan base"? I realize that the Hilton is not the greatest of locations, and maybe that will change for next year...but to blame the small crowd size on the location is simply not fair or correct. The problem is the lack of interest in the "fan base" in Dallas. heck there are more than 200 grads living or working within 4 miles of the Hilton location...I would bet any amount you want on that. So, to say it was the location that made the difference...well, I'm not buying that AT ALL.

Get off your rear ends PEOPLE! You want events in Dallas? Show up!

Now, all that being said...and after two poor turnouts at the Hilton location, it behooves the Athletic Dept. to look closely at a new location for next year's event. If I were in charge of finding the location, I would definitely consider a move after a post-event re-cap meeting. There has to be a site that would work better and be more accessible.

So...where? And, if the turnout is as poor next year, I'd consider not even holding one in Dallas...maybe the Grapevine area or more south. You want events in Dallas, show up when events are held. Make it a priority. I'll bet the folks who did find their way to the Dallas event had a great time.

Telling fan board posters to get off their ends is hardly the solution. The problem doesn't lie with convincing GoMeanGreen posters to show up at this event. 635 is NOFREAKINGTORIOUS for the worst traffic (arguably) in DFW and you want to place an event right smack in the middle of it during rush hour. Doesn't make sense. Don't dismiss Dallas and say "we'll we tried" when you didn't.

MDH....when I mention Downtown I don't mean in a high rise with valet parking. There is plenty of space in the West End, Uptown, Deep Ellum, and other areas that it didn't have to be in a truly isolated and expensive venue. The concept of hosting closer to the center of Dallas also engages those that WORK in downtown and live elsewhere (so many live east of Dallas as well) and these people not spending 1 hour in traffic just to get to 635.

The bottom line is that sending out a mailer to current MGC members is not going to work. You need to get personal. You have to engage on multiple fronts not just a postcard for MGC members. The statement was made by RV that "we will own Dallas" but if you want a piece of that pie you are going to have to spend some time in the kitchen.

- Get Access to the Alumni List and mail out Caravan and other announcements to the Dallas County residents

- Tap into GMG and get a database working on this site that allows city information to be seen

- Get a couple of staffers to bust out PERSONAL calls to the Dallas area alumni to inform them

- Find someone with Jordan's pizzazz and societal connections to host a similar event in Dallas.

Dallas should be the largest event (along with Denton) but it isn't.... it isn't even close.

Telling fan board posters to get off their ends is hardly the solution. The problem doesn't lie with convincing GoMeanGreen posters to show up at this event. 635 is NOFREAKINGTORIOUS for the worst traffic (arguably) in DFW and you want to place an event right smack in the middle of it during rush hour. Doesn't make sense. Don't dismiss Dallas and say "we'll we tried" when you didn't.

Dallas should be the largest event (along with Denton) but it isn't.... it isn't even close.

Hey, I get that and I wasn't "preaching to the board posters"...just generalizing about Dallas area fans who "complain mightily" about "no events" and then when one is held they cannot be bothered enough to fight a little traffic to get to it. Hey, lots of ways to get to that Hotel without ever driving on LBJ. I worked at LBJ and Midway...commuting from Denton every day...for several years. I know of plenty of ways to get to the place...so do others who actually live in Dallas. Location was simply not the reason. People can use it for an excuse if it makes them feel better, but I "ain't buying it". Way too many Dallas area alums to have such a poor showing. Find another excuse if you must, but let's stop with all the Dallas-area whining...get off your rear ends Dallas and get there! The same amount of advertising went into the Denton and Plano and Ft. Worth events and folks knew about them. As we all know, and I was born and raised in Dalllas and I love the place...it's HOME....Dallas area fans do not have the best of reputations for support...way way too many band wagon type fans of all sports in the dallas area. It's the nature of the "beast" in Dallas. So, it wasn't the location or the fact that folks didn't know...it's Dallas people! Sorry if that "hits where it hurts or close to home" a little, just the facts of life. Dallas area alums have not even established an active Dallas-area alumni group for Mixers and tailgate parties like folks in Denton and Collin County have...even though there have been several folks who have offered to help some Dallas area alums get that going...you know, it takes a bit of effort and some "stick to it" to get this sort of thing going. So far, to my knowledge, folks in Dallas want to be spoon fed and sit back and "let someone else do the heavy lifting". That's fine and that's OK, just don't then whine and moan about the results of the lack of initiative. UNT does not have the financial resources to do all the things it would like to do in this area. Why? Lots of reasons...one being the lack of alumni and fan financial and personal support for this sort of thing. UNT is in the position that it needs its alumni and fans to step up and be part of the solution...which they certainly can be. It won't always be this way, and it's getting better and better with each year, but UNT is not "there" yet. So, want stuff to happen...get involved with your time and your talent...I stand ready to help any Dallas area alum or fan who wants to take the lead and STICK with it...it takes time, some $$$ and lots of effort. Is it worth it? You bet your life it is!!!! Interested? PM me....I stand ready to help.

• Upvote 1

NEWSFLASH - The population growth in the area is Denton County, Collin County, Rockwall County, and northern Tarrant County. The last people to leave Dallas, remember to turn out the lights and shut the door.

I'd have the Caravan hit areas easily accessible by Wylie/Sachse/Rowlett/Rockwall before I'd consider Dallas again. I know of more than a few fellow Mean Green grads in those cities.

All said, the two Plano events we've been to have been smashing. Truly hope that Mr. Case continues to invite us back every year.

• Upvote 2