UT Transfer WR Darius Terrell Video

Harry

Sort of a Michael Irvin type of player... very physical, good hands ... impressive coming out of high school with offers from both Texas and Oklahoma coming out of Desoto... WELCOME Darius! Very excited to see this kid in the Mean Green Family! GMG!

Why is he not getting playing time at ut?

My understanding is that he was recruited as a slot receiver and when UT went to a pro style offense they wanted him to move to tight end. Now he's 6-3, 230 and trying to block 6-5, 280 pound defensive ends and it wasn't going to work. He's a receiver at heart. I am thrilled to have him, he's a possession guy that will go up and win the ball. He' s physical. I will take issue with this though, we haven't had many transfers from Texas. Mike Trice is the biggest name (Oklahoma) I have seen in awhile and we all know that kid makes an immediate impact in our secondary. You also have to think the DeSoto connection helped us land him. He's a guy that you can sell to a quarterback prospect as well.

From everything I've read, he was actually recruited to UT to play TE. Their old offensive coordinator liked to go after big guys that played WR in high school, and move them to TE, because big TEs aren't a necessarily a neccessity in the spread offense, because they're moved all over the place and out in routes more often than they are blocking. Well, you can't really get by in a pro-style offense with a 230 pound TE, so they've started to recruit bigger TEs with experience playing the position. From what I understand, they didn't want to move him to WR. I think this is a HUGE pickup, especially if he can get cleared by the NCAA to play this fall. From everything I've seen, read, or heard, he's a really good kid. His only noticeable weakness is speed, which I find ironic, because that was the only strength of the last WR we got from the Big-12. But, I'll take as many 4-star transfers as we can get. Eventually, one of them will live up to the hype, and I happen to believe it'll be this guy.

Go Mean Green!

• Upvote 2

He's a guy that you can sell to a quarterback prospect as well.

My thoughts exactly Harry.

Kid doesn't look all-world in the speed department but he appears to catch everything he touches. I think Johnny Quinn taught us you needn't have great speed to be a great receiver. This is an exciting get.

Go Mean Green!

• Upvote 1