"When I came to North Texas it really felt like home," Coleman said in a statement. "From Coach Benford, to Tony Mitchell and the rest of the guys, I really had a great connection with all of them, and I can't wait to get to Denton and get started."

The Mean Green went 18-14 overall and 9-7 in the Sun Belt, where they finished fourth in the West Division.

Benford will be in his first season with the Mean Green after leaving Buzz Williams' staff at Marquette. Former coach Johnny Johns left for Louisiana State, his alma mater, after 11 years with North Texas.

North Texas returns its leading scorer, Tony Mitchell, after the 6-foot-8 freshman flirted with the NBA following his first year on campus that saw him average 14.7 points and 10.3 boards per game.

"(Coleman) is the missing piece of the puzzle for our team," Benford said, "and he will take a ton of pressure off Tony Mitchell in the paint."

The Mean Green will join Conference USA in the 2013-14 season.

MCC now has three sophomores set to join Division I squads with Marcus Bell (Idaho) and Sherman Blanford (Eastern Illinois) already decided on their future.

Read more: http://www.timesrepublican.com/page/content.detail/id/549303/Coleman-signs-with-North-Texas.html?nav=5010

From what I recall following the Coleman recruitment from the Marquette side, physically, he's a beast. Strong, eats a lot of space in the lane, and has the frame to be an immediate contributor. The worries were effort and academics. If Benford can keep him motivated and on track scholastically, I think he could be a very good get. He got a long look from Buzz up here at Marquette.

From what I recall following the Coleman recruitment from the Marquette side, physically, he's a beast. Strong, eats a lot of space in the lane, and has the frame to be an immediate contributor. The worries were effort and academics. If Benford can keep him motivated and on track scholastically, I think he could be a very good get. He got a long look from Buzz up here at Marquette.

Playing alongside, Mr. Mitchell, he better bring his "A" game.

Playing alongside, Mr. Mitchell, he better bring his "A" game.

Benford made a comment on this tonight in Dallas, said Tony got to test Coleman out in the gym, and T-Mitch said the big guy could flat out play. Benford said Coleman could play anywhere in the country, including the Beast and B12. He had even higher praise for Chris Jones saying that he could START at point guard for any team in the country!! Also heaped major praise on JWil and some other players. I have some other thoughts and pics from the Dallas event I will have to share later.

Benford made a comment on this tonight in Dallas, said Tony got to test Coleman out in the gym, and T-Mitch said the big guy could flat out play. Benford said Coleman could play anywhere in the country, including the Beast and B12. He had even higher praise for Chris Jones saying that he could START at point guard for any team in the country!! Also heaped major praise on JWil and some other players. I have some other thoughts and pics from the Dallas event I will have to share later.

Thanks for sharing ! This season can't get here soon enough

• Upvote 1