SIGNED - 2012 JUCO - Keith Coleman - 6'10" C

I'm just saying I hope Odoh was not released from his LOI (if he even was... we don't know) without speaking to coach Benford, because that would be wrong.

Agree 100%. The way Coach Dodge handled that Dickey recruit from Abilene just left a bad taste in my mouth. If you're going to release him, tell him yourself, and at least try to help the kid land on his feet somewhere else.

Are you finding any threads on why he decommited or was released from Nebraska?

Posted Today, 04:07 PM

New

Nebraska head basketball coach Tim Miles has begun the rebuilding process. That process did not include junior college power forward Keith Coleman.

After signing a National Letter of Intent with the Huskers back in the fall, Coleman and Miles talked on Tuesday according to the Times-Republican. The verdict - to each go their “separate ways.”

Big Red Report tried to reach Coleman before and after the news broke, but he has not been available for comment.

The nation's No. 22 center in 2011, Coleman averaged eight points and seven rebounds a game in his first year at Marshalltown Community College (IA). He was a honorable mention pick in NJCAA Division I Region XI.

"(Miles) was a straight-shooter in the sense of he just wanted to see where Keith was at. Once Keith explained to him where he was at, he was very understanding. Nobody wanted to waste anybody’s time in this whole thing," Marshalltown head coach Brynjar Brynjarsson told the Times-Republican.

It still remains to be seen if junior college products

Jerran Young and Fahro Alihodzic also are in Miles plan.

This is all very interesting.... We will have a lot of players who did not end the year on the court for us last year. (Replacing Hogans and Edwards)

Jones, Williams, Patton, Overlander, Pye, Coleman, Hardwick, (Odoh!?)..... assuming Pye walks on and what if Overlander has an academic scholership.... still a lot of questions to be answered.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

From an ARCHIVED 2009 NBE Basketball Report scouting Big East prospects:

Keith Coleman: A raw 6’8”, 220 pound, sophomore frontcourt guy, Coleman has drummed up interest from Marquette and of course his hometown’s Villanova, Temple and LaSalle, along with Nebraska. A physical presence, Coleman must develop a go to move, and mid range game for college. Earned second team All-TYBS 16u.

Looks like Nebraska had been on him from his sophomore year in high school. They mention Marquette, I'm guessing that Benford was involved as well.

From an ARCHIVED 2009 NBE Basketball Report scouting Big East prospects:

Looks like Nebraska had been on him from his sophomore year in high school. They mention Marquette, I'm guessing that Benford was involved as well.

So is he 6'8 or 6'10?

The 8 and 7 he averaged could be a double double if he had 5-7 more minutes. That's assuming he only got about 20 minutes/game coming off the bench (apparently they don't track min/game on their website). The stat I was "concerned" about was the .29 blocks/game. Figured a player like him would average at least 2 a game in juco. Also, he didn't average 2 assists, but only .39 according to their website.

I see he had qualifying issues coming out of school, I hope that isn't an issue or Benford will have his hands full with jwill, jones and Coleman.

All that being said...this signing makes my basketball weenie vibrate.

I heard Benford say tonight that Mitchel loves Coleman! He said they went at it one on one and itchel said he never knew someone could get that high above the rim. He seems pretty high on Coleman.... If he can give Mitchel trouble I assume he is legit!

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

I heard Benford say tonight that Mitchel loves Coleman! He said they went at it one on one and itchel said he never knew someone could get that high above the rim. He seems pretty high on Coleman.... If he can give Mitchel trouble I assume he is legit!

I heard he said this at the coach carosaul.... Is It true? If so this is great news!!!

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Sorry if this has been asked, but is he going to be immediately eligible?

I can't imagine him taking over for Franklin from the get go, but having another 6'8 (real) post player would be great.

Yes. Nebraska gave him a release from his LOI, so he's eligible in the fall for us.

He already signed his LOI according to A&M-CC's press release. Pye is not going to be on our team.

JJ was a big reason Pye wanted to come here. Even if he wasn't signed, sealed, and delivered to TAMCC, I doubt he would be interested with a coach he does not know.

EDIT: Cause as we have all come to learn, LOI's are no definite.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 1

Sad to see Forrest go. I think he had a TON of potential. It will be interesting to see where he lands. Not sold at all on Coleman. He appeared to have Forrest's aggresiveness minus the hurt ankle and an oppposite weight problem (very slow up and down the court) in the clip that was posted.

Benford seems to disagree, and I'm sure he is just a tad bit more qualified than I in basketball talent evaluation.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

Some great comments about Colemen especially those attributed to Mitchell. With Odoh not coming he seems a great replacement. However, I do wonder why Nebraska released him and why he didn't start in juco even as a freshman. The Juco was 15-15 and the big that was supposedly the best on the team signed with Idaho if the report I read was correct. He wasn't playing behind a bunch of great players.

If he is as athletic as presented, he could quickly develop and even in his first year at NT, he could be the difference maker that some of us thought Odoh would be. Got my fingers crossed because this team is a center away from being something special.

• Upvote 2

Sorry if this has been asked, but is he going to be immediately eligible?

I can't imagine him taking over for Franklin from the get go, but having another 6'8 (real) post player would be great.

He won't be taking over for Franklin, he will be taking over a position that we have not been able to fill for awhile.

• Upvote 2

Not impressed initially with this recruit. (From video) Seems to be a reserve caliber post on a team without a post. Missing Odoh already! Hopefully Benford want continue to exaggerate some of his recruits. Hardwick is fine but we are not a very small point guard away from being a very good team.

http://www.ihigh.com/mcc/broadcast_209276.html?silverlight=1

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1