Let's talk some Football

Harry

QB - Hall and Smith will battle it out and both should see early playing time. The real battle will be for #3 as Gonzo returns but will have to stave off two talented freshmen in fleet footed Jon Ians (6-5, 190, 4.5) and strong armed Joey Byerley.

This is the most solid I can remember us being at this position...both Smith and Hall are fierce competitors and will make each other better.

RB - Let it be decreed that the Patrick Cobbs era has begun. Many see Cobbs primed for a breakout year. But the real battle will be for #2 as Big Roy Bishop, speedy Kevin Moore, Ricardo Smith and Cinderella James Mitchell will battle for the remaining 8-10 snaps per game. Don't count out talented WR Jamel Branch for 3-5 snaps a game either...

FB - Former MLB Justin Claborn (6-3, 245) is the man to beat and should be a better blocker than dearly departed Michael Hickmon. Chad Boyd will be there to pick up the scraps and Andy Blount could see action as well.

WR - The starters will likely be Jamel Branch and Kevin Howard with senior Michael Thrash looking for a breakout season at the possession slot. The best athlete is Joel Nwigwe although RS Johnny Quinn may be the most complete package.

TE - Randy Gardner returns as a starter but the #2 slot remains a dogfight between talented receiver Andy Blount and big RS Robert Harmon (6-4, 265). Matt Bradshaw could be the best blocker next to Gardner.

OLine - Right now this may be the biggest question mark on the team. Zuniga and Brewster return at starters but after that it may be up for grabs. Coaches expect/hope that sophomores Jason May and Weston Thaggard can step up to the plate and live up to their potential but also covered their bets by bringing in jucos Aaron Harvey, Damien Nobles and Lonnie Chambers. Joel Foster may be the dark horse at tackle while former walk-on Corey Hall may surprise everyone after a spectacular off season training regimine. If all else fails, look for Coach Wolford to lean on some talented freshmen like Kansas Heavyweight wrestling champ Adam Vinegas, local product Rendell Bailey or perhaps Oklahoman Jeremy Brown. I wouldnt be shocked to see TE Robert Harmon move here if depth is a concern.

D-Line - next to linebacker the deepest position on the team. Can you say Booger? Kennedy will return to anchor the interior line and will be joined by JUCO All American Michael Pruitt. However, don't be surprised to see UNT use a lot of 3-4 sets in which Pruitt will line up on the outside as will giant Adrain Awasom with BK in the middle. This could possibly be the most talented three set in the country. Evan Cardwell will dogfight Michael Pruitt for the #2 spot. Oklahoman Chris Miller has made rapid gains and will battle with Kurk "Snot" Francis and Sky Pruitt for rotational time. Multiple true freshman will try and battle the odds to garner playing time in this deep area including TJ Raymond and Adam Vinegas among others,

DEnd - Some questions remain here in the 4-3. Awasom is the man and has proven his ability - the real battle here is for the other bookend in the 4-3. Luke Conder is @1 right now although Tommy Harrison and Eli Hutcheson will battle for time. Of the freshmen look for Blake Burriss (6-7, 245) and possibly even linebacker Lawrence Brown to fill that speed role that Darrell Daniels played so well...

LB - three starters return to the deepest and most talented position on the team - Taylor Casey, Cody Spencer and Chris Hurd will wreck havoc on opposing offenses. Koryee Wyatt will also see a lot of time as will SS Craig "hitman" Jones in the 3-4. Montrell Parks (6-3, 243) is on the brink of a breakthrough year. Art McNac (6-0, 250) could see time at MLB as could RS's Phillip Graves and Chris Nevins on the outside...

DB - UNT looks pretty solid here. The best safety tandem in the country returns with Jonas Buckles and Craig Jones. At corner look for future star Marikeith Knowlton and either Jeremy Pearl or Walter Priestly to garner most of the snaps. Dominique Mackey could surprise some people with his post knee surgery speed. Sophomore Shawn Early is a terrific athlete that could be all conference if his pass coverage skills improve. Freshman Cass Starks could provide a depth boost at safety.

P - Brad Kadlubar returns for his junior campaign and may be one of the best punters in the country.

k - After a shaky start Nick Bazaldua came on strong last season. He will be fighting off a talented player in strong legged russian Denis Hopovac however.

K/PR - Branch is dangerous although he may be weaned off this position if freshman Zach Muzzy is as advertised. Kevin Moore may garner time here as well..

Let's hear your questions/thoughts/opinions!

I have two comments/questions.

First, do you know if Gonzo was given a ship for this year?

Second, do you really feel comfortable at kicker? I can remember Baz missing exta points late into the season. He had to hit a "long" field goal in the bowl game that was about 40 yards and it barely made it. I think that kickers should never make you sit on the edge of your seat for an extra point and Baz missed as many as he made last year. We were forced to "go for it" in several game situations when a coach wold normally choose to kick for the 3 points. If you go back and listen to the Arizona game, the TCU game, and the South Florida game... all three might have ended up differently if we had a more reliable kicker. I wouldn't be so sure that he was a lock for getting the spot. If a kicker even half way decent is able to show him up in two-a-days than he could easily lose the job.

DE....Nt recruited two good DE's from OK A&M ...Dupree and Hutchinson...are they going to be redshirted or should they be considered in the depth analysis here.  Both have very good numbers in tackles behind the line and sacks.

Good overview, Harry, as usual. I have two questions/comments. First, you left Hobbs off the OL evaluation. Considering that he had many snaps throughout the season last year, I don't see how you can count him out of the rotation, much less a possible starting role. Second, is there some problem with Charles Dupree? You left him out of the DE equation. Third, I think that the biggest problem with Harmon will be to find the best position for him. He has the tools and size to play just about anywhere from TE to OL to DL. The trick will be finding where he can contribute best.

My thoughts.

Hall and Smith should have good seasons, both are experienced. Hall has not missed a workout this summer and I've heard he has been training 2 -3 days a week extra this summer, with a trainer at Valley Ranch Fitness. Smith returned last week in pretty good shape and has started attending "7 on 7" drills and looks pretty good. Thrash has been extremely dedicated this summer and has not missed a "7 on 7" practice either. Branch, Howard and others have been there quite a bit also. I haven't heard of any TE's attending "7 on 7" passing drills. I hope this doesn't hurt us.

Cobbs should have a 1000 yard season if our new offensive line jells early. Claiborn will be a load at FB and will see some time at LB.

Quinn is in "camp" now and staying at Hall's house for the summer. He could be a factor this season. If Jon Ians (6-5, 190, 4.5) is legit, let's make him a Roy Williams type receiver for us.

Defense should be solid and possibly better than last season as long as they stay hungry and don't believe all the hype thats been written about them. That was last year.

My two main concerns are - a new group of offensive linemen will take time to jell. Hopefully, our QB's don't get killed in the process. Secondly, we need to have an extremely accurate and long kicker/punter. He's really the 12th man in our offense. I think this position will make or break us this year.

Good write-up Harry. I didnt see Lamario Hollis mentioned in the DB depths...did something happen with him? I am glad to hear Cass Starks is ready to play. Also, I was under the impression Joey Byerly may get a red-shirt this season?

Thanks for the great work!!

GMG!!!

Harry...It is unlike you to be unkind. You owe Michael Hickman an apology. The following was totally unnecessary to the story:

"...should be a better blocker than dearly departed Michael Hickmon."

(and no, I'm not his mother, or any relative whatsoever. I don't even know Hickman.)

Harry...It is unlike you to be unkind.  You owe Michael Hickman an apology.  The following was totally unnecessary to the story:

"...should be a better blocker than dearly departed Michael Hickmon."

(and no, I'm not his mother, or any relative whatsoever. I don't even know Hickman.)

What's so bad about Harry's statement. Hickman wasn't a great blocker and he had a bad attitude. Not sure what the problem is.

GMG!!!

Beat ou!!!

Ditto regarding the 3-4.  Sounds great, Harry.  Good job as usual.

I'm a bit worried we might be over-estimating at the safety position when we say it is the best tandem in the country.  Hopefully I'm wrong.  *(as usual)

I have read more than a few publications and web-sites that concur with Harry's assesment of our safties. I thought the same thing about an overestimation until people in the know started saying they were possibly the best. They are like extra linebackers out there and are the reason why NOBODY goes over the middle to catch the ball against our D. Our only problem in the D-backfield will be finding enough playing time for Mackay, Priestly, Pearl, Starks, early, etc...

GMG!!!

Beat ou!!!

What's so bad about Harry's statement. Hickman wasn't a great blocker and he had a bad attitude. Not sure what the problem is.

GMG!!!

Beat ou!!!

Bad attitude? What are you referring to? I saw nothing but a good don't quit attitude. He had his ups and downs, but he stuck it out came from behind and helped the team.Mike definately left his mark during the NM game.

I don't think Harry took a shot at Hickmon, on the contrary.

If you feel he was not a good blocker than you should ask KG who benefitted from some great MH blocks.

He wasn't a great blocker because he wasn't a FB his whole career. He was a HB playing the FB position. He was appreciated at UNT, especially last NMSU game.

However, he did get in DD's doghouse for his attitude early on, and he never lived up to his potential.

I took Harry's comments as, he was appreciated, but he didn't block well (like a true FB). He got the job done. Nothing derogatory.

I agree with SWB on this. Hickmon was a celebrated RB coming out of high school and just never lived up to his potential billing. He had a solid career, but was not the prototypical blocking/bruising fullback.

As others have mentioned, why were Hollis, Dupree and Hobbs omitted from your original post Harry?

Evan, I couldn't disagree with you more about MH's attitude. I think the point I was making is that he quit on this team and was lucky to be allowed back into the fold by DD. That's where the bad attitude comment came from. And I stand by my remark that he was not a good blocker. SWB said it best that he was a glorified pumped up half-back playing fullback. And yes, he had a hell of a great game against NMSU. He could have been so much more though.

GMG!!!

OU sux!!!

sorry you could not disagree more, but there is more to some stories than meet the eye.

Yes he quit the team, and yes he was lucky to be allowed back. I think he saw it more as a second chance and an opportunity to redeem himself. He knew he could not be the primary back, and would not always be on the field , but he made the most of it, and we benefitted.

As far as blocking, he was not the best. I will not argue, but I think we have had worse........#72..

I just think a bold ststement like " he had a bad attitude" is a bit harsh.

This is not where this thread is supposed to go, end of discussion for me.

Edited by Evan

I meant nothing but compliments in my comment on Michael Hickmon...dearly departed, ie dearly=coveted etc and departed=graduated...that's all. He was not a traditional FB but man he made the most of what he had and was a solid runner. He was an outstanding special teams player... I know Mike and he's actually a good guy and hard worker that made one bad decision but rebounded from that in a big way. I think he will be a model citizen.

To be honest, there were a couple of players that I ommitted in the overview. Sorry about that.