Naysayers have it wrong on C-USA - ECU Writer

Harry

NORTH TEXAS: Keeping Dallas-Fort Worth a part of the league footprint was a priority, and North Texas easily delivers that. Given its impressive new football home, the ceiling is much higher for the Mean Green than for neighboring Southern Methodist.

Combine the new stadium with a new league, and a talent upgrade is all but a given. Considering that North Texas doesn’t possess the academic challenges of SMU, don’t be surprised to see the Mean Green charge past the Mustangs in the next few years.

Read more: http://bonesville.net/Articles/DennyOBrien/11-12/05/050712_OBrien.htm

Good positive commentary, but I take a little exception to a couple of points. I doubt SMU academic standards for athletes are any tougher than the norm much less higher than NT. This may have been the case before June Jones, but not anymore. I also take issue with La Tech being historically the best football program among the newcomers. NT was playing major college ball for years while they were still in the college division.

Good positive commentary, but I take a little exception to a couple of points. I doubt SMU academic standards for athletes are any tougher than the norm much less higher than NT. This may have been the case before June Jones, but not anymore. I also take issue with La Tech being historically the best football program among the newcomers. NT was playing major college ball for years while they were still in the college division.

From all I've read, SMUs admission standards still exclude a number of athletes Jones would like to try for. Previously, the standard for football plays was actually slightly higher than the general student body and now it is the same.

• Upvote 1

My SMU buddies were always complaining that after the death penalty they had very very strict academic standards for athletes and it resulted in them getting bad talent. A few years ago that was the the big plan that SMU and the administration decided to be a lot more lenient to try to attract better recruits and that was Orsini's plea.

My SMU buddies were always complaining that after the death penalty they had very very strict academic standards for athletes and it resulted in them getting bad talent. A few years ago that was the the big plan that SMU and the administration decided to be a lot more lenient to try to attract better recruits and that was Orsini's plea.

Come on, if SMU athletes had to meet the same entrance standards as others in their student body, they would either not have a team or would lose every game by enormous margins.

Most athletes at SMU as well as many other schools are admitted through special admission procedures. This is the case to some extent at every school that plays division 1 football. UT for example probably doesn't have a handful of football players that could be enrolled through normal processes. It is largely a rubber stamp process for any athlete that can meet NCAA standards and has any change at all to remain at the school long enough to benefit the program.

SMU raised their standards after the Death Penalty but that has eroded to the point that it is mostly a myth promoted by SMU fans. They have higher standards than Troy or USM but not significantly higher than most universities.