Osborn v McNulty revisited

Harry

Vito released the two deep and there were a few surprises on it. I'm frankly surprised there haven't been more discussions regarding "Oz" being place ahead of McNulty post spring. It appears that Oz is starting to understand Coach Chico's system better. Frankly we may need both since Derek has battled injuries since he got here. In terms of eligibility, I think that Derek is a junior and will have two more years, Oz will be a junior and McNulty will be a sophomore but has a redshirt year left. If Oz could fill the #2 spot for us that might allow McNulty to get that redshirt year he missed back.

Scott Hall was probably the best QB in UNT history!

Scott Hall had the perfect storm. A new league, GREAT defense and an offense that didn't ask/force the QB to make a lot of plays. (I by no means wish to detract from his accomplishments but to call him the best QB in UNT history is a big reach.)

As a pure QB - Mitch Maher > Scott Hall.

Edited by adman
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Scott Hall had the perfect storm. A new league, GREAT defense and an offense that didn't ask/force the QB to make a lot of plays. (I by no means wish to detract from his accomplishments but to call him the best QB in UNT history is a big reach.)

As a pure QB - Mitch Maher > Scott Hall.

Jordan Case was the best QB I saw play at NT.

• Upvote 2

Scott Hall just won...a lot...his leadership qualities on and off the field were special. I would put him up against any QB we ever had because he was able to win more consistently than any other QB in our history. Scott was not trying to pad stats -- he did what his coaches told him to do. It bothers me when people take away from what Scott did because it wasn't flashy and didn't run up big numbers. In the end, he was the engineer of the most successful run in football we have ever seen here and without question should be in the Hall of Fame.

I also would mention that Andrew Smith might have been one of the greatest ever had he not tragically died in that car accident. He led us to a bowl win against Cincy in his freshman year and was poised to do great things. I still point to Andrew's death as the catalyst for the Dickey era decline that sent the program into the Dodge abyss.

Scott Hall just won...a lot...his leadership qualities on and off the field were special. I would put him up against any QB we ever had because he was able to win more consistently than any other QB in our history. Scott was not trying to pad stats -- he did what his coaches told him to do. It bothers me when people take away from what Scott did because it wasn't flashy and didn't run up big numbers. In the end, he was the engineer of the most successful run in football we have ever seen here and without question should be in the Hall of Fame.

I also would mention that Andrew Smith might have been one of the greatest ever had he not tragically died in that car accident. He led us to a bowl win against Cincy in his freshman year and was poised to do great things. I still point to Andrew's death as the catalyst for the Dickey era decline that sent the program into the Dodge abyss.

Hall was a heck of a field general. He didn't have to put up big numbers because he was always reliable and because the running game gave him great support. Hall's better than a big-numbers QB, he was accurate, and I'll take an accurate QB over a flashy one any day.

And for Smith's loss meaning the decline of Dickey's history? I think it's Dickey that led to his own decline. He never properly reloaded his roster on account of either field performance, behavior, or something else. You could it miles away that he wasn't keeping the gap in talent between UNT and the rest of the SBC. That game where MTSU showed up on our doorstep after that last SBC ring was a sure sign that Dickey had fumbled.

• Upvote 2

RIght on the nose Harry. I was there in Lubbock, as were many on this board, when Scott Hall replaced Bridges in the second half. Coach Dickey told me the following Monday that NT had no chance if Scott doesnt go into that game. We ended up losing on a fluke WR fumble, but Scott did his part. We were there to see the start of something special, and Scott should be in the NT Hall of Fame now.

GMG!!!

• Upvote 1

Steve Rasmsey showed he was our best QB to move on to the NFL. Jordan was good, but only got as far as the Canadian league. Mitch was a great college QB I wish could have played at the highest college level. And then you get to Scott Hall. Yes, more bowls than the rest but not quite as good.

I don't think any of our current QBs is quite in that group, but I hope they prove me wrong.

Steve Rasmsey showed he was our best QB to move on to the NFL. Jordan was good, but only got as far as the Canadian league. Mitch was a great college QB I wish could have played at the highest college level. And then you get to Scott Hall. Yes, more bowls than the rest but not quite as good.

I don't think any of our current QBs is quite in that group, but I hope they prove me wrong.

Scott Davis was pretty darn good as well....he nearly beat UT and the refs single-handedly in Austin in 1988

Totally agree.

Steve Ramsey might have been the best because he got drafted and played a while in the NFL. I don't remember him as being particularly mobile. He was mainly a pocket passer with the quickest release of any QB in NT history. Even the legendary Howard Cosell once commented on it.

After that, it's a cluster of QB's. I would put my favorite, Jordan Case, slightly at the top. Had he not had a congenital back problem (which caused him to constantly play in pain at NT), he would probably have played in the NFL. Next would be Scott Hall (for those young NT fans who never saw Jordan Case, Scott Hall was his clone), Scott Davis (when totally healthy he might have been better than all of them). Followed by Mitch Maher, Joe Stevenson (the absolute best QB of color ever at NT), and finally Gregg Carter.

Kenny Washington was more of a "wildcat-type" QB than anything else. And Andrew Smith......very overrated.

Edited by SilverEagle