ODU Fanboard Discusses C-USA Entry

Harry

They really should push for some kind of deal where C-USA bring in ODU, VCU and GMU. ODU is the only school fielding a football team, so you'd have a 14 team conference in football and a 16 team conference in every other sport. VCU brings the Richmond market, 1.3 million people, and GMU brings the Washington DC market, 5.1 million people. All three bring 20+ win basketball programs, which softens the blow of losing Memphis, and all three bring solid non-revenue sporting programs to the table. The inclusion of two more major markets, especially DC, makes it easier to negotiate a bigger TV deal.

If I recall I think VCU is looking into starting football again. I read something about a year ago that the president of the school is very pro sports and would welcome the idea of restarting football. It's a big school with the Richmond market and they could be one of those sleeper schools...they're already successful in basketball and if they continue that momentum they could really capitalize for the future.

If I recall I think VCU is looking into starting football again. I read something about a year ago that the president of the school is very pro sports and would welcome the idea of restarting football. It's a big school with the Richmond market and they could be one of those sleeper schools...they're already successful in basketball and if they continue that momentum they could really capitalize for the future.

I think there have been some rumblings at GMU and VCU regarding football, but nothing serious. Either way, both bring huge metro areas and amazing basketball programs. You want to replace the loss of Memphis in basketball, add VCU and GMU, much better than anyone else from C-USA that defected.

• Upvote 1