McMurphy: 7 schools on move Friday; ODU remains undecided

Harry

All across the country there will be seven celebratory press conferences Friday to announce a school is moving to another conference in 2013.

Florida International, North Texas, Texas San Antonio, Louisiana Tech and Charlotte are joining Conference USA in 2013, while San Jose State and Utah State are headed to the Mountain West.

While those seven are moving on up, Old Dominion remains undecided whether to upgrade from the Colonial Athletic Association to Conference USA.

An ODU spokeswoman told CBSSports.com Thursday afternoon the school would not be holding a press conference Friday related to its conference future. Later in the day, the school released the following statement:

"Recent reports of conference realignment across the country have heightened our attention to focus on one of the primary goals of our intercollegiate athletic strategic plan, which is to continually assess the changing landscape of Division I athletics," the statement said.

Read more: http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/blog/brett-mcmurphy/18954539

if ODU refuses maybe CUSA takes Ga State to stick it to the Belt one more time.

CUSA is getting a mulligan here, and needs to invite an established FBS program.

The only Sun Belt team I would want is Middle Tennessee. Otherwise, C-USA should think hard about inviting Army or Navy.

Navy would be my preference.

Edited by UNTflyer

Based on what I've read on the board it seems ODU is a good candidate even tho they're FCS right now. If they have a waiting list for tickets to football games as it is, have pretty good and deep pockets and are very well respected in basketball isn't that something we would want given that they offer the conference in a larger footprint and another good market? Not to mention their endowment is higher than all if not most of the SBC schools if I recall.