Kobe admits the sex, denies rape

UNT96

Well, Kobe admitted it. He cheated on his wife but didn't rape the girl I hate it every time the news says he is up for charges of raping a teenager, she is 19 years old... that is an adult. Her little friend was on Dateline last night and she says there was no doubt in her miod that he assaulted her friend. I freaking hate this crap, she has sex with a star and then cries rape. I hate the Lakers but this isn't basketball, this is basic human emotion and they are dealing with this guy's life here.

on the same note, the girl accusing him is trying to make it as a singer in show business, go figure.

"she has sex with a star and then cries rape. I hate the Lakers but this isn't basketball, this is basic human emotion and they are dealing with this guy's life here."

Stebo, I'm gonna hope you're right on this one...because I absolutely HATE it when we are so quick to condemn the victim because we don't want to believe our celebrities are fallable. From the moment this news broke the consensus has been "Kobe would never do something like that, he seems so nice" or "A guy like Kobe would never have to rape a woman." What about the flip side? What about the fact that celebrities have an overgrown sense of entitlement? What about the fact that we coddle our athletes and other celebs because we're so star struck? Again, I hope the man is innocent...but I can't stand to see us play judge, jury and executioner...against the victim!

Good post, Emmitt. The man admits the contact. The DA says he has physical evidence to charge him. It doesn't sound good for Kobe but we can't turn our heads away from waiting for the evidence.

You are right about celebraties getting favorable treatment. What are our thoughts about Gary Condit, or Bill Clinton? It shouldn't let them off the hook for behavior, and being a role model for younger kids.

Very good post, Emmitt. I think that is important to keep in mind in this situation.

Watching that news conference, I just couldn't believe his wife. Is she insane?? How can she sit there so calmly while he says all of that. How can she stay with him. I think it makes her look stupid to sit there in support of him.

The emotion in his voice and his choice of words really make me think he was admitting to more than he said.

But if she stays with him. She'll get even more.

I don't know what to think. I can't get any hotel clerk to come to my room at midnight. She knew what she was going there for. But if she said No. Nothing should have happened.

Somehow the accuser's condition shouldn't be too large a factor. If Bryant was aware that the accuser was under some kind of condition he still doesn't get off the hook. If he took advantage of her, sober or not, it's his assault against someone who was unable to defend herself.

mad.gif

Good points by all. The initial reports seemed sketchy at best; but the DA that is prosecuting sounded very convinced on the news tonight. One thing that I have read does discredit her somewhat; there have been reports that this was not a one night stand but rather a few different flings. I wonder if she tried to get any money out of him. That will tell a lot more of the story but probably won't come out until mid-season.. about the time that the Mavs beat the Lakers for the third time with a big asterisk by the score.