Texas State AD Larry Teis Responds

Harry

Dr. Teis's response:

"thanks Clayton. we did meet with the sunbelt, conference usa, and the mountain west conference. just remember, not everyone will have a home so we are blessed. competitive wise, the sunbelt, wac, c-usa, mwc, and mac are really all the same. just remember, we have a chair to sit in when the music stopped, not everyone does. not all donors are backing away and a few of our largest told me this weekend this is the time for them to step up and support the university even more. it is up to you what you do. if you take the approach you mentioned, and take your ball and go home mentality, the next time the music stops we will be left out. we can beat utsa in recruiting with our great university. also, my plan is to play them every year in everything because of our past rivalries. utsa had more fans than we did this year at the dome playing a division 2 schedule so their fans showed their support no matter what division they are in and you seem to be going in a different direction.

remember, how you and others handle this and react has an impact again when the music stops, it's up to you!"

Read more: http://bobcatfans.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=22108

Some of what he says seems eerily familiar. The "take your ball and go home" mentality certainly has made its presence felt at UNT over the years. UNT has it's share of folks who "can't get over" some little something and they will hold on to that grudge for ever. It's their right to do as they please, but it seems often so very childish when pictured in the largher scheme of things. Some folks just can't get over the fact that it's not about them and it's not about their pet projects or how they "think" things should be done...or not done. It's about the university and what's best for the university.

I wish all the Sunbelt schools nothing but the best going forward. Happy to be moving on the CUSA. It will be very interesting to see how this move effects the UNT fan and Alumni base.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 4

How stupid are some recent graduates of Texas State. Are your improving? (2 upgrades in less than 1 year) I guess that is not good enough. Here is the exact letter to Rick Villareal.

Rick,

As a student who is graduating this May with a Masters degree, and as a student who graduated with a Bachelors degree in 2010, both being from UNT, it is my sincerest hope that we aggressively move towards joining the Big East Conference. I am sure you and Dr. Rawlins have worked extremely hard in positioning UNT to be as attractive as possible in hopes of joining a well-established, well recognized, and profitable conference. However, I and many other current students and alum agree that joining CUSA will be a step back for UNT. Although CUSA is a good conference, UNT should be competing to be the best, and the best is not CUSA. Moreover, many students have expressed their outrage about our rival, SMU and their recent joining the Big East Many students understand that Dallas offers an outstanding and substantial market to any conference, and thus, we understand why they were selected over us. However, UNT would be dominated in recruiting by SMU if we were not in a similarly competitive conference as one, UNT. Many alum have also stated that they will not renew their football season tickets if UNT were to join CUSA. I am sure you have received many similar e-mails to mine, I just thought I would express mine, other students, and alumni's concerns.

• Upvote 2

Some of what he says seems eerily familiar. The "take your ball and go home" mentality certainly has made its presence felt at UNT over the years. UNT has it's share of folks who "can't get over" some little something and they will hold on to that grudge for ever. It's their right to do as they please, but it seems often so very childish when pictured in the largher scheme of things. Some folks just can't get over the fact that it's not about them and it's not about their pet projects or how they "think" things should be done...or not done. It's about the university and what's best for the university.

I wish all the Sunbelt schools nothing but the best going forward. Happy to be moving on the CUSA. It will be very interesting to see how this move effects the UNT fan and Alumni base.

Yeah, I never understood the "I'm taking my toys (assuming you brought any in the first place) and going home if I can't get my way". Many people hold onto grudges and go away. But my attitude has always been... stay around, show up to every event, and make those people that you hold a grudge against MISERABLE......but above all....SHOW UP!

And so I now say to those who have had "conditional love" of their University......WE NOW HAVE THE VENUE, AND WE NOW HAVE A BETTER CONFERENCE SITUATION. TIME TO STOP BEING CONDITIONAL AND.... STEP UP!

• Upvote 2

North Texas now has a built-in home schedule for the most part with our new conference mates.

North Texas needs to take care of North Texas. If we are going to get a ranking, we need to play OOC games that will help us get a ranking and it doesn't take a rocket scientiest to figure out what kind of opponents those will need to be.

Now if we want to dip down--we should have stayed down (and that's all I'm going to say about that).

We have our stadium...we have our conference....now lets get back to the better days of our prior NCAA Divison 1 existence and kick some ASS again--but even at a higher level this time!

GMG!

But as far as the present is concerned....let's CELEBRATE!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 1

How stupid are some recent graduates of Texas State. Are your improving? (2 upgrades in less than 1 year) I guess that is not good enough. Here is the exact letter to Rick Villareal.

Rick,

As a student who is graduating this May with a Masters degree, and as a student who graduated with a Bachelors degree in 2010, both being from UNT, it is my sincerest hope that we aggressively move towards joining the Big East Conference. I am sure you and Dr. Rawlins have worked extremely hard in positioning UNT to be as attractive as possible in hopes of joining a well-established, well recognized, and profitable conference. However, I and many other current students and alum agree that joining CUSA will be a step back for UNT. Although CUSA is a good conference, UNT should be competing to be the best, and the best is not CUSA. Moreover, many students have expressed their outrage about our rival, SMU and their recent joining the Big East Many students understand that Dallas offers an outstanding and substantial market to any conference, and thus, we understand why they were selected over us. However, UNT would be dominated in recruiting by SMU if we were not in a similarly competitive conference as one, UNT. Many alum have also stated that they will not renew their football season tickets if UNT were to join CUSA. I am sure you have received many similar e-mails to mine, I just thought I would express mine, other students, and alumni's concerns.

students letter is invalid as soon as he implied that joining the Big East would be 'the best', student is not aware of Big East's lack of football greatness, the fact that basketball powerhouses are leaving the conference and that they don't play baseball... Student is also more concerned with playing SMU entirely too much... they are not the best... at anything...

• Upvote 1

Rick,

Where did this letter come from?

I feel like everyone is reading Cooley's post and thinking someone actually wrote that to RV. He simply took the Texas State letter and put in Big East, North Texas, etc to show how silly the Texas State letter is.

I feel like everyone is reading Cooley's post and thinking someone actually wrote that to RV. He simply took the Texas State letter and put in Big East, North Texas, etc to show how silly the Texas State letter is.

Zeke is correct. If you go to the Texas State board, someone wrote this letter to the AD:

Dr. Teis,

As a student who is graduating this May with a Masters degree, and as a student who graduated with a Bachelors degree in 2010, both being from Texas State University, it is my sincerest hope that we aggressively move towards joining the Mountain West Conference. I am sure you and Dr. Trauth have worked extremely hard in positioning TXST to be as attractive as possible in hopes of joining a well-established, well recognized, and profitable conference. However, I and many other current students and alum agree that joining the Sunbelt Conference will be a step back for TXST. Although the Sunbelt is a good conference, TXST should be competing to be the best, and the best is not the Sunbelt Conference. Moreover, many students have expressed their outrage about our rival, UTSA and their recent joining of C-USA. Many students understand that San Antonio offers an outstanding and substantial market to any conference, and thus, we understand why they were selected over us. However, TXST would be dominated in recruiting by UTSA if we were not in a similarly competitive conference as one, UTSA. Many alum have also stated that they will not renew their football season tickets if TXST were to join the Sunbelt Conference. I am sure you have received many similar e-mails to mine, I just thought I would express mine, other students, and alumni's concerns.

Two Time Bobcat,