Why Utep should join the Mountain West - Miner Rush Blog

Harry

Bump'd From the FanPosts- Conference Realignment isn't going anywhere and this is a nice perspective on why UTEP might be interested in the MWC.  - AM

Sorry I haven't been around as much, bitching about UT has taken up the majority of my time lately, couple that with the chaos in the Mountain West, and finals I haven't kept tabs over here.

First let me be frank, the MWC's TV contract is HORRIBLE they must do something to change it to have a prayer at taking ANY Conference USA team.

Second lets make some assumptions:

1st Hawaii and a non-football school (like Denver) join the Mountain West

2nd Utah St joins to keep the Mtn. on in Utah and the SLC market and adds excellent basketball

3rd another team WILL be added either from CUSA or the dieing WAC

That leaves the Mountain West with only a few reasonable options because adding anyone (besides UTEP) in the state of Texas will only increase travel costs and have little market saturation.  TCU has been great but people in Texas don't watch, and yes I blame some of that on the TV contract.

Most MWC fans want UTEP, for their kick ass basketball, El Paso media market, history with WAC/MWC schools, great attendance numbers, and their improving football program.

That leads me to why I think UTEP should join the Mountain West Conference.

Read more: http://www.minerrush.com/2010/12/1/1850237/why-utep-should-join-the-mountain-west