Texas State Fans discuss move to Belt

Harry

To hell with SWTS! They will be a doormat in the Sunbelt for many years to come. What an ungrateful group! They should be happy that the Sunbelt would want them. I don't think Middle Tennessee, Arkansas State, Troy and others are excited about them joining. I'm embarrassed for the state of Texas that we will not a worthy representative from Texas in the Sunbelt. Why would they bash the Sunbelt when they don't even have a home? What have they done to make themselves appealing to CUSA/MWC? The only reason I know of San Marcus is because I have to drive through there to get to San Antonio. Life will be so different for them once they are no longer able to field a football team with mostly D1 transfers; who didn't t have to sit. Next thing we may hear is Texas A&M Commerce or Midwestern State bitching about not going to CUSA.

Haven't you heard? Benson has already expended offers to both.

As a condition of joining, Bensen requires TAMU Commerce to change their name to North Texas A &M.

• Upvote 2

Whats effing hilarious is that they're a pretty mediocre at best football team in the FCS Southland conference. They have no idea what they're in for when they face SBC opponents. Here are their season records since 2005 which was the year they made a really good run in the FCS playoffs if I recall. Their records are so meh and yet they're still complaining and have this superiority complex. Freaking funny stuff man...maybe I'm changing my tune of feeling bad for them getting passed over for UTSA.

2011 - 6-6

2010 - 4-7

2009 - 7-4

2008 - 8-5

2007 - 4-7

2006 - 5-6

2005 - 11-3

• Upvote 1

TSU-SM was counting on being in CUSA with North Texas because it would have warp speeded them to the same level that it has taken us more than half a century to get to with some of the crowd we have wanted to be part of since the days we applied for Southwest Conference membership, circa 1975.

TSU-SM I fear will be the new North Texas trying to get into a league where they are (presently) unwanted and if anyone knows how that feels it is those of us from the University of North Texas.

I'm sorry for TSU-SM, but this a a torch that we of UNT will gladly pass onto them to hold onto for probably what will be a long time.

In an indirect way, this CUSA invite will ultimately help North Texas get closer to our Tier 1 research university status and ranking because of increased interest among our donors in the state of Texas and to an extent because of these 2:

(1) Potential donors will get to see more of our product state-wide thus creating more interest in our school from alums who've been long dormant

(2) Potential donors will be impressed with the schools we will now have coming into Apogee Stadium. No disrespect to UL-Monroe, but a North Texas vs Tulane matchup will do more for our school than a North Texas vs ULM matchup could ever do.

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 4

Whats effing hilarious is that they're a pretty mediocre at best football team in the FCS Southland conference. They have no idea what they're in for when they face SBC opponents. Here are their season records since 2005 which was the year they made a really good run in the FCS playoffs if I recall. Their records are so meh and yet they're still complaining and have this superiority complex. Freaking funny stuff man...maybe I'm changing my tune of feeling bad for them getting passed over for UTSA.

2011 - 6-6

2010 - 4-7

2009 - 7-4

2008 - 8-5

2007 - 4-7

2006 - 5-6

2005 - 11-3

Good God! When did we become SMU?

Geez Louise, Texas State has had much better facilities than us since they built their stadium back in the 80's. It's only been since Apogee opened last year that we finally passed them on that issue......and I might add JUST BARELY.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 11

--- For years SWT or Tx State was member of the old Lone Star conference which is pretty much smaller schools..McMurry, Howard Payne, Tarleton, Sul Ross etc. . Then they moved UP to the Southland . (we were pretty much forced down). Only lately have they really improved greatly in athletics and otherwise I think in the eyes of most people. I credit a lot of their growth (and ours) on the fact that A&M and UT have tightened up enrollment and don't seem to want to get any larger... that has kicked a lot of students in their and our direction and to UTSA. Until the last 10 years I can't remember them ever playing a D-1 school. Their enrolment is quite large now 30,000? and larger than TxTech even.

---I don't think we have an SMU type attitude... SMU's big problem is they don't want a large state school competing with them in Dallas area for attention... they know that would be a losing deal for them . They try to kick us down as much as posiible... Tx State is very little threat to us... recruiting some... but not much otherwise.

Edited by SCREAMING EAGLE-66
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

Good God! When did we become SMU?

Geez Louise, Texas State has had much better facilities than us since they built their stadium back in the 80's. It's only been since Apogee opened last year that we finally passed them on that issue......and I might add JUST BARELY.

My point is Texas State gives an entitlement vibe from comments by their posters. They've been pretty average at best in FCS and I don't care how much of a world beater you are in the FCS level but when you transition to FBS you will have a rude awakening and Tx State will surely have one as well especially since they weren't really good in FCS anyways. Those people DID move up and will have a place in FBS and some of them have said they've taken a step back by going to the SBC. Let them take their lumps in the SBC and I'll see what they say after that when they realize it ain't easy.

• Upvote 4

My point is Texas State gives an entitlement vibe from comments by their posters. They've been pretty average at best in FCS and I don't care how much of a world beater you are in the FCS level but when you transition to FBS you will have a rude awakening and Tx State will surely have one as well especially since they weren't really good in FCS anyways. Those people DID move up and will have a place in FBS and some of them have said they've taken a step back by going to the SBC. Let them take their lumps in the SBC and I'll see what they say after that when they realize it ain't easy.

I'm trying to remember what TSU-SM was doing back when

(1) ...UNT All American (NCAA D1 I might add) Abner Haynes led his Mean Green team to the Sun Bowl and as a NCAA D1 program in the 50's?

(2) ...Also trying to remember what the Bobcats were were doing when North Texas was in the midst of the Mean Joe Greene era in the 60's of which we even had a team that broke the Southwest Conference ABC TV lock with their always getting the weekly ABC=TV regional telecast when the North Texas versus Tulsa U was televised (instead) in the entire Southwest?

(3).... I'm trying to also recall what LBJ's alma mater was doing in football (and at which NCAA or NAIA level) the day the Mean Green beat the University of Tennessee in the 70's and then that feat making the front page of the Dallas Times-Herald the next morning with a large photo acompanying the big story? Again, what was TSU-SM doing during all that time?

(4) .....and this list "what were they doing when...." could be much longer but...

TSU-SM's sense of entitlement without having to go thru all the years and decades of a baptism of fire that UNT and many other schools have had endure is undeniable.

TSU-SM is doing all that they are doing now because of Dennis Francione being their HFC and because of their having wanted to pass us by for quite awhile and right now that is not going to happen athletically, plus...I don't see it happening in all other phases of academia, either, with comparative academic programs.

The San Marcos-based school has a fine stadium but they really should have tried to figure out a way to remove the track and lower the field since they will not be re-locating their stadium any time soon plus.............. how many D1 schools have tracks in them any more? Lowering the field would have helped with their accoustics (crowd noise). I've been to a couple games there and listened to a damn train couple times in one of those games that seemed it was running somewhere underneath the stadium while drowing out the crowd noise (Ask former UH Coach Kevin Sumlim about the crowd noise at UNT's Apogee Stadium--it apparently caused him and his Coog team to go into a mild state of shock initially because we were so loud (until they made their adjustments).

I love TSU-SM's new end zone and would trade them for HKS architect firm's end zone idea for Apogee in a New York minute, but for the whole stadium package of them versus us there is no comparison, especially when you add to the equation of our stadium's strategic location between the 2 Texas interstates. Speaking of stadium location: Apogee fits like a glove inside our Mean Green Village with all our other varsity sports venues now there and those that will be built later on.

Can you tell when older stadiums have had add-ons to an existing stadium? I know I can. Apogee was built with expansion in mind, but with an expansion that will be a perfect blend to what we have already.

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Ever been to a game there? It's a glorified HS stadium with a nice backdrop.

This. Pales horribly in comparison to Apogee.

Texas St. should be happy to go to the Belt. That is where they (and UTSA) belong for the next 10 years.

• Upvote 2

This. Pales horribly in comparison to Apogee.

Texas St. should be happy to go to the Belt. That is where they (and UTSA) belong for the next 10 years.

I agree. They better get ready because they have some good football teams in the SBC ready to show them what's what.

Remember why we dislike SMU? Yeah, Lets not be them. Let's just move on, play in our new conference, take care of our business and enjoy what we've been waiting so long for. Go Mean Green!

Edited by filmerj
  • Upvote 6

Remember why we dislike SMU? Yeah, Lets not be them. Let's just move on, play in our new conference, take care of our business and enjoy what what we've been waiting so long for. Go Mean Green!

Big difference. We have been playing major college football for 70 plus years, just like SMU.

@SA and UTSM are new to the FBS level. Not even close to the same comparision. Texas St. should be happy to have a seat at any table, and UTSA should be freaking overjoyed to get a spot that they just plain don't deserve.

I think the 2 teams I will choose to hate in CUSA are ECU and UTSA.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Big difference. We have been playing major college football for 70 plus years, just like SMU.

@SA and UTSM are new to the FBS level. Not even close to the same comparision. Texas St. should be happy to have a seat at any table, and UTSA should be freaking overjoyed to get a spot that they just plain don't deserve.

I think the 2 teams I will choose to hate in CUSA are ECU and UTSA.

But it wasn't utsa or tsu's fault it took US this long to get into CUSA. Most of it was our own fault. I understand the frustration. But they got in. congrats to them. They will probably struggle for a while and so are we. We aren't going to magically win games because we are now in the CUSA. We're still the same team, until we see the new conference affiliation pay off in recruiting, we need to take care of ours. Go Mean Green!

Edited by filmerj
  • Upvote 4