Larry Brown adds his first SMU recruit

Harry

I didn't even catch that it was an academic scholarship. What's a basketball coach doing recruiting students to put on academic scholarship? It sounds like a cheap way to get extra athletic scholarships.

I guess the nice part is that he doesn't have to worry about not filling up all his athletic scholarships when he kicks half the players off the team.

• Upvote 2

Sounds like a buddy-buddy deal that Brown has promised someone. Not to be mean to the kid; it just looks like Brown has promised someone that he gets a shot at making the team, and in the end won't lose an athletic scholly if he doesn't make it.

(I could be totally wrong. The kid feels like he can help turn SMU around)

Wilson's God uncle is Mike Woodson, current interim head coach for the New York Knicks, who was once an assistant for Brown when he was with the Detroit Pistons.

"Because of my God uncle, I had met Brown when I was really young."

Brown and Wilson reunited last Thursday whenever the high school senior visited the Hilltop.

Edited by greenminer
  • Upvote 1

I just joined this board with the hiring of Tony Benford and I really don't understand why any UNT supporter would care what Larry Brown does. There are two seperate topics devoted to Brown and SMU. Well, who cares !

Are you a UNT grad or just a Benford fan? Welcome to the board Irish! The thing about SMU is the animosity that exists between the two fan boards. It isn't necessarily a school rivals situation but more of a disdain for the posters on Ponyfans.com and some of the people's comments about our school.

I just joined this board with the hiring of Tony Benford and I really don't understand why any UNT supporter would care what Larry Brown does. There are two seperate topics devoted to Brown and SMU. Well, who cares !

As an NT alum, I've wondered the same thing for years.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Are you a UNT grad or just a Benford fan? Welcome to the board Irish! The thing about SMU is the animosity that exists between the two fan boards. It isn't necessarily a school rivals situation but more of a disdain for the posters on Ponyfans.com and some of the people's comments about our school.

And... it's about how SMU has that smug, douche-baggery attitude about the university. Yeah, it may be an expensive school with strong business ties, but I wouldn't want to send my daughter there.

Edited by UNTflyer
  • Upvote 2

To some, we are the Texas A&M to SMU's Texas, or the Texas Tech to SMU's Texas A&M. Some think SMU is our biggest rival, while SMU could care less about us.

But, in fairness, with both schools competing for the same basketball talent, and both schools hiring new (well, at least UNT hired a "new") head coaches, I don't think 2 threads about Brown (particularly in off season Hell since we don't play baseball) is excessive.

But, yes, some are dilusional about SMU keeping us out of the SWC back in the 70s and focus all of their pent up UNT frustration on SMU.

Serious question--is that within NCAA regs?

Yes, it is. That's why you'll often see assistant coaches that get hired have the announcement delayed by a few weeks. Like Jerrance Howard, who was mentioned in reports as joining Brown at SMU weeks ago, but was only officially announced a few days ago. It allows them to have unlimited NCAA contact as they technically are unemployed, then take advantage once they sign on somewhere. While it seems underhanded (and maybe it is) it's also fairly standard practice.

Sez he will get an academic scholarship and be a walkon.

This, however, I do not believe is legal. Players on academic scholarships should not be eligible to participate as athletes because of the reasons mentioned, what would stop a school from loading up on an extra 4-5 scholarship players by simply hiding them under athletic scholarships? I'll be curious to see how this is handled...I'm 95% positive the NCAA doesn't allow this.

• Upvote 1

I love it...Brown and SMU have been together for less than a month and there is already a possible NCAA 'misstep.' Even though Tim Jankovich is receiving big bucks, I hope he knows what he is for.

• Upvote 1

I love it...Brown and SMU have been together for less than a month and there is already a possible NCAA 'misstep.' Even though Tim Jankovich is receiving big bucks, I hope he knows what he is for.

Now Brown is attempting to get a 5-star (although didn't impress as a freshmen) PG transfer that was kicked out of Arizona with quite a rap sheet.

Now Brown is attempting to get a 5-star (although didn't impress as a freshmen) PG transfer that was kicked out of Arizona with quite a rap sheet.

Brown doesn't care about NCAA rules, SMU academics, or really anything other than winning to bolster his own ginormus ego.

2 years of mediocrity and then a pile of NCAA violations are in SMU's future.

• 3 weeks later...

Sounds like a buddy-buddy deal that Brown has promised someone. Not to be mean to the kid; it just looks like Brown has promised someone that he gets a shot at making the team, and in the end won't lose an athletic scholly if he doesn't make it.

(I could be totally wrong. The kid feels like he can help turn SMU around)

Sorta sounds like Coach Mac 's deal with McNulty if you take away the academics guarantee.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Serious question--is that within NCAA regs?

This, however, I do not believe is legal. Players on academic scholarships should not be eligible to participate as athletes because of the reasons mentioned, what would stop a school from loading up on an extra 4-5 scholarship players by simply hiding them under athletic scholarships? I'll be curious to see how this is handled...I'm 95% positive the NCAA doesn't allow this.

Yep, it's a loop-hole. We need to find some smart kids who can play basketball. The NCAA imposes limits on the total financial aid each Division I member may award in each sport that the school sponsors. It divides sports that it sponsors into two types for purposes of scholarship limitations:

"Head-count" sports, in which the NCAA limits the total number of individuals that can receive athletic scholarships, but allows each player to receive up to a full scholarship.

"Equivalency" sports, in which the NCAA limits the total financial aid that a school can offer in a given sport to the equivalent of a set number of full scholarships. Roster limitations may or may not apply, depending on the sport.

The term "counter" is also key to this concept. The NCAA defines a "counter" as "an individual who is receiving institutional financial aid that is countable against the aid limitations in a sport."

Accordng to NCAA regulatons:

15.5.3.2.2.2 Academic Honor Awards. Academic honor awards that are

part of an institution’s normal arrangements for academic scholarships, either based solely on the recipient’s cumulative academic record from all collegiate institutions previously attended or based on the

recipient’s high school record and cumulative academic record from all collegiate institutions previously

attended, awarded independently of athletics interests and in amounts consistent with the pattern of all

such awards made by the institution, may be exempted from a team’s equivalency computation, provided the recipient achieved a cumulative transferable grade-point average of at least 3.000 (based on a

maximum of 4.000). (Adopted: 1/16/10 effective 8/1/10, Revised: 1/15/11 effective 8/1/11)

Academic honor awards do not count in the equvalency calculation. Please note, it is not clear if this applies to students with a previous collegiate academic record only. The regulation does not state any requirement for the length of the previous collegiate record, A student who completed a single community college course prior to applying for Academic scholarship would qualify.

Edited by Mark Gommesen