MTSU angry at their Prez?

Harry

C-USA is adding UTSA, La Tech, FIU and North Texas. They are going to 12 and we are not in it.

Utah State and San Jose St to the MWC.

From this point forward, I am severing my relationship with the university. No more donations. No more games. No more of my time until Sydney McPhee is removed from office.

He has undermined the integrity of his position and the value of my degree. I can no longer in good faith continue to support that. Further he has relegated the university's athletics programs to low class status likely forever with his selfish tenure at this university.:

http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=349&f=2388&t=8948309

the whole thing is scary... one of my main complaints in all of this is how the SA media and bloggers have handeled all of this. They can kill this.. It is a hard thing to fathom, but what would be the blow back if all of this unoffical press convices the CUSA to go a different route?

I would find it hilarous ... assuming it didn't affect us.

• Upvote 3

It's not necessarily pi$$ing on the UTSA thing but from a CUSA view point, looking at it objectively, what's better for the conference? UNT, La Tech, FIU, UTSA or UNT, La Tech, FIU, MTSU?

FBS history? MTSU

Athletic success? MTSU

TV Market? MTSU

National reputation? MTSU

Geography? (for the conference, not for UNT) Push

I don't see how UTSA is better for the conference that MTSU...

Take the awesome weekend in San Antonio every other year out of it because that has nothing to do with moving a program forward.

That's why I think CUSA is making a mistake.

Couldn't agree more! Dead on post!

• Upvote 1

Never been a fan of UTSA "waltzing" into a major FBS conference with one season of football under their belts. And their fans make Louisiana Tech fans look like saints. Seriously, UTSA has no facilities.

Link to facilities page

http://www.goutsa.com/ViewArticle.dbml?

Sport--Venue Name (Capacity)-Distance to venue

Football -- Alamodome (65,000)-18.3 miles via I-10W-21.1 miles via US-281 N.

Volleyball -- Convocation Center (4,080) 0n Campus

Women's soccer -- UTSA Recreational Sports Complex (1,000) 0n Campus

Men's & Women's Basketball -- Convocation Center (4,080) 0n Campus

Baseball -- Roadrunner Field (800), Wolff Stadium (9,700)-12 miles

Softball -- Roadrunner Field (500)

Track & Field -- UTSA Track & Field Complex (No seating capacity listed)

Newly refurbished track surface and sparkling green infield.

Men's & Women's Tennis -- UTSA TennisCenter (No seating capacity listed)

Courts were resurfaced in Fall 2009.

wait so if UTSA is in...We are in too right....RIGHT?

No. Hopefully it means we go replace TCU in MWC.

That stuff about an inside job sounds like the kind of thing that could happen here too. However I am hopeful that our administrators are keeping clear of the UT (Texas not Tennessee) influence.

• Upvote 3

sWhile it's to our advantage to have another instate rival this should not have happened. UTSA may be a great conference member someday but they are not ready for this level of play. My heart goes out to Middle who got royally screwed.

I don't know who is to blame but they sure did their university a disservice. Watch future alumni donations drop like a rock.

I'm glad that UTEP is apparently staying in CUSA. It shoulld still be the better football conference. I don't think that anyone in the MWC can top Southern Miss or Tulsa at this time.

Edited by GrayEagle
  • Upvote 1

Link to facilities page

http://www.goutsa.co...ewArticle.dbml?

Sport--Venue Name (Capacity)-Distance to venue

Football -- Alamodome (65,000)-18.3 miles via I-10W-21.1 miles via US-281 N.

Volleyball -- Convocation Center (4,080) 0n Campus

Women's soccer -- UTSA Recreational Sports Complex (1,000) 0n Campus

Men's & Women's Basketball -- Convocation Center (4,080) 0n Campus

Baseball -- Roadrunner Field (800), Wolff Stadium (9,700)-12 miles

Softball -- Roadrunner Field (500)

Track & Field -- UTSA Track & Field Complex (No seating capacity listed)

Newly refurbished track surface and sparkling green infield.

Men's & Women's Tennis -- UTSA TennisCenter (No seating capacity listed)

Courts were resurfaced in Fall 2009.

"and by 'no facilities', I mean 'ones that matter.' And by ones that matter, I mean 'football stadiums that are on their campus.'"

duh.

• Upvote 2

sWhile it's to our advantage to have another instate rival this should not have happened. UTSA may be a great conference member someday but they are not ready for this level of play. My heart goes out to Middle who got royally screwed.

I don't know who is to blame but they sure did their university a disservice. Watch future alumni donations drop like a rock.

I'm glad that UTEP is apparently staying in CUSA. It shoulld still be the better football conference. I don't think that anyone in the MWC can top Southern Miss or Tulsa at this time.

I feel worse for Texas State. They've been working their butts off to improve their facilities, and they have more history with us than any school in CUSA......including Tulsa.

And while I'm feeling bad for someone, I also feel bad for LaLa. I feel that, in the long run, they would make a much better member than La tech.

Edited by SilverEagle
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

I feel worse for Texas State. They've been working their butts off to improve their facilities, and they have more history with us than any school in CUSA......including Tulsa.

And while I'm feeling bad for someone, I also feel bad for LaLa. I feel that, in the long run, they would make a much better member than La tech.

I don't feel bad for Texas St. I'm sure they are the next school on the Start Up Belt's list of new members. Karl Benson will come calling within a week.

I agree about LaLa. Thought they would be a MUCH better addition than Tech.

Question for those that know: Could part of the UTSA deal be a guaranteed CUSA spot in a new bowl at the Alamodome? Still can't believe they get a spot that they absolutely DO NOT deserve. No facilities and 1 year of football. Makes me think they brought something else to the table.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 1

If that's the case, I would understand this move on CUSA's part a little more. I just wonder how much influence does UTSA have to create a bowl? They can just make up a bowl and bring it to a conference? I'm asking because I don't know...

I don't feel bad for Texas St. I'm sure they are the next school on the Start Up Belt's list of new members. Karl Benson will come calling within a week.

I agree about LaLa. Thought they would be a MUCH better addition than Tech.

Question for those that know: Could part of the UTSA deal be a guaranteed CUSA spot in a new bowl at the Alamodome? Still can't believe they get a spot that they absolutely DO NOT deserve. No facilities and 1 year of football. Makes me think they brought something else to the table.

If that's the case, I would understand this move on CUSA's part a little more. I just wonder how much influence does UTSA have to create a bowl? They can just make up a bowl and bring it to a conference? I'm asking because I don't know...

I don't know, either, but I could see a San Antonio sponsor coming on board for the bowl with the condition that UTSA get membershiip. What I don't know (and really don't have the motivation to research) is what permission is needed from the NCAA to create a new bowl.

I guess I'm particularly sensitive to their situation because it reminds me of 2005 when we came up short. That's why I can't fathom folks pi$$ing on the UTSA thing.

Harry, I think UTSA will be a good addition, but for the rest of our schools who have gone thru well over a half century of the NCAA version of a quasi baptism of fire and much frustrasion in that timelime, its' just they got into this thing way too easy. Merry Christmas, UTSA?

Still, this is more about a a great, historic Texas destination city of whom most of us know what parts of SA to visit to make that so and a possible CUSA bowl tie in the AlamoDome (even a 2'nd bowl game a la NO's Bowl) because outside their "dome" home, UTSA's athletic facilities are not even of the FCS Southland Conference standards. The UTSA thing will grow in popularity once all the dust settles is many of our predictions.

GMG!

PS: Trying to figure out how to put a new avatar on my avatar spot. Much different process than before.

• Upvote 1

Agreed. Southern Miss, Tulsa and ECU have shown periods of sustained success, certainly more than UCF, and close to that of Houston and SMU over the last decade. This is still a solid football conference, and if Louisville bolts from the BE there won't be much difference between C-USA and the BE.

"and by 'no facilities', I mean 'ones that matter.' And by ones that matter, I mean 'football stadiums that are on their campus.'"

duh.

Yea, both UCLA and USC and clearly dying because they don't have an on campus football stadium. SMU's didn't have one from the 30's till the 90's. Baylor is not building one to replace a seriously outdated one that housed a Heisman winner. Though it's best years U of H played in the Astrodome, not on campus. And IF NT had designated Texas Stadium as it's official home field in 1978 then we would not have had to drop to 1AA. Having an on campus stadium can be a plus, but it is certainly not required to be successful.

Edited by VideoEagle
  • Upvote 1

duh.

I was posting their facitilities to prove your point!

DuH!

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1