UTEP Moving To MWC Per Mike Price

MeanGreen61

Let's try to shoot a little higher than UTSA, TXST, and UTA for future rivalries. I'd much rather play UTEP.

Your right! Lets play UT and Texas A&M home and home games every year! We should never lower our standards to play FBS schools that we could actually beat...and that would actually play us home and home games.

Do we really need more than 5 home games a year?

At least we are not lowering our standards when we have Texas Southern coming here next year. FBS school???

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Do you really think they wanted to be in C-USA to play any Texas teams? If that's all they wanted, they could have done better in the Southland. No, they wanted to be in C-USA to be associated with the former SWC teams.

1. yes, moving down to D1-AA would be a wise choice for a school like UTEP with their fan support and facilities :thumbsu:

2. only UNT fans obsess with their lack of inclusion in the SWC I doubt UTEP fans have ever thought about it at and if they have it was 20 years ago

3. UTEP played in a conference with several former SWC teams so UTEP was well beyond "SWC teams" (as if they were ever obsessing over that) and they made the move to stay with those teams and join another (UH)

TCU moved away from that on purpose and now SMU and UH are leaving UTEP with Rice as the Texas CUSA teams and UTEP is not going to get a Big 12 invite

4. at the time that the SWC existed only UTEP and UNT were not SWC schools in D1-A so UTEP would have only had an opportunity to move to a conference to play former SWC teams.....in pretty much ANY conference that had a D1-A Texas team other than the belt

Edited by GL2Greatness
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I prefer Louisiana Tech over UTEP.

And y'all carrying on about UTSA and TS: there is not enough talent to support that many D1 schools in this one area of the country. Those two need to die off. We should do everything possible to make it happen, because NT is the one that will get hurt the worst by the competition in recruiting. Stop mentioning them. And if you are their supporter pretending on here, you can go to Conference*HELL. Those are crappy schools by comparison and we should not be associated with them. Sure Rice can say the same about us, and they probably do so.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

I also lived in El Paso and I had a totally different sense. My friends & acquaintances thought of themselves as Texans. When they sent their kids to college, it was to a Texas college. When they left for job opportunities, it was to DFW or Houston. El Paso is the western-most Texas city, but it's still Texas.

I don't know when you left but El Paso but it doesn't resemble Texas anymore. Its not the town it was. It's sad. Of course the educated people with jobs you spoke of left and didn't return. When I left people told me to enjoy the real Texas. Not a joke. I laughed though because it's true.

However, Las Cruces is nice, we should go there and play again if we go out that way. I don't know why anyone cares about us playing the Miners. It's been ages since we played them. It appears we won't be in the same conference so we will continue to not play them. We aren't missing much. NMSU was always fun.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I don't understand all the ado about UTEP going West. People point to NT and UTEP being big rivals, my question "when". They have played a lot of games against one another but I can't ever remember that being a big game on either side.

I think UTEP thought being in CUSA would benefit them with more association with the state of Texas and help recruiting. Now they have done that and they probably recognize that being in a Western conference is better suited to them.

UTEP moving west probably opens the CUSA door for La Tech. I had rather be a conference mate of UTEP but La Tech has a better football program and is a lot closer.

I think Tech is getting in regardless of what happens with UTEP

• Upvote 1

And y'all carrying on about UTSA and TS: there is not enough talent to support that many D1 schools in this one area of the country. Those two need to die off. We should do everything possible to make it happen, because NT is the one that will get hurt the worst by the competition in recruiting. Stop mentioning them. And if you are their supporter pretending on here, you can go to Conference*HELL. Those are crappy schools by comparison and we should not be associated with them. Sure Rice can say the same about us, and they probably do so.

Agree! Thank you.

1.UTEP will never become a rivalry with us nor help our attendance. They are just too far away.

2. I prefer out of conference games with Baylor, TT, or Houston... if they will play us home and home. The last time Baylor and Houston played here I saw Fouts and Apogee with near capacity crowds. We should look at all FBS schools in our area.

3. If we ignore certain schools are they just going to fold up their tents and go away? I hate to burst any bubbles but we don't have that kind of power.

4. Who are we recruiting against? Every school in the country. We just need to worry about winning games and getting our attendance up. How do we do that? Look at Boise State.

5. What does playing Texas Southern at Apogee on Sept. 8, 2012 do for our program? If you think we need to set our sights a little higher than that, I agree.

NTSU class of 73.

1.UTEP will never become a rivalry with us nor help our attendance. They are just too far away.

2. I prefer out of conference games with Baylor, TT, or Houston... if they will play us home and home. The last time Baylor and Houston played here I saw Fouts and Apogee with near capacity crowds. We should look at all FBS schools in our area.

3. If we ignore certain schools are they just going to fold up their tents and go away? I hate to burst any bubbles but we don't have that kind of power.

4. Who are we recruiting against? Every school in the country. We just need to worry about winning games and getting our attendance up. How do we do that? Look at Boise State.

5. What does playing Texas Southern at Apogee on Sept. 8, 2012 do for our program? If you think we need to set our sights a little higher than that, I agree.

NTSU class of 73.

I have to disagree with #1. I live in Houston and took my son to the UTEP vs Rice game in November. UTEP brought a very good crowd. They probably outnumbered Rice fans, though that is not hard to do. I think they would have a good crowd at Apogee.