SMU Fans discuss Tony Benford to UNT

Matt

They are good for a laugh. Those morons got stuck with a senile old 72 year old because nobody else in their right mind would take the job. I love how Orsini was quoted as saying they got who they wanted all along. In other news, Orsini is June Jone's Associate Pastor at the inner city ministry of their imagination.

I grew up in the Methodist Church and SMU is an embarrassment.

Edited by UNTLifer
  • Upvote 4

Our new head coach is a college freshman and 1/3 younger than their 80s model retreaded cheater.

I liked other options, but ANYONE we hired would have been an improvement over what SMU has done to it's basketball program (again).

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 1

20 Years ago Larry Brown would have been a steal. I have a feeling that SMU fans will be regretting hiring Brown over Benford 2 years from now.

And no, I doubt that Benford would take up SMU on an offer 2 years from now. If Benford is that successful here, there will be bigger and better opportunities calling than SMU.

I am waiting for the day when the Big East falls apart and SMU finds itself back and the mid-major level.

• Upvote 1

20 Years ago Larry Brown would have been a steal. I have a feeling that SMU fans will be regretting hiring Brown over Benford 2 years from now.

And no, I doubt that Benford would take up SMU on an offer 2 years from now. If Benford is that successful here, there will be bigger and better opportunities calling than SMU.

I am waiting for the day when the Big East falls apart and SMU finds itself back and the mid-major level.

They have a low major basketball program and are going to be playing some high major teams in the new CUSA v2.0. It should be hilarious.

• Upvote 1

I will say this about Larry Brown's hire at SMU. In the very near-term, like in the next month, you will see DFW media members falling over themselves to interview him. His reputation is one that media members follow after closely. The Ticket had him on this morning for a while. I'm certain we will see him on the major sports stations over the next few months. Plus, the DMN will fall all over themselves to interview him.

Now, ask yourselves what media outlets will do the same thing for Tony Benford and UNT...the DRC and ???

I'd love to believe that the Ticket will interview Benford, too, in the next week, just like they did Larry Brown live this morning. But I won't hold my breath.

I do think that SMU is beyond help at this point, even though Larry Brown is a great coach. At 71, he isn't even close to the answer, but they do know how to get exposure over there on the Hilltop. And seeing how low on the totem pole that college basketball is here in the Metroplex, just getting any kind of decent coverage or interest in the program is huge. Ultimately, it will come down to W's and I don't see how SMU can compete in the Big East, but if he gets them competitive enough to get a bid in a non-NCAA postseason bid, the local media will fawn over him for it. Really, Larry Brown can't lose here. If he can't get SMU any better in the next 2-3 years, it won't tarnish his reputation one bit. But if he can just raise them up to .500 (somehow), his name and SMUs cash will get them a bid in the NIT, CBI, or CIT. And all the while, he will get a nice paycheck.

• Upvote 1

I grew up a UT fan and have changed into a UNT fan ever since I started going there. I can tell you this much, I always hated Aggie, Sooner, and Red Raider fans. I found them to be annoying and obnoxious. But, I have never seen a fan base as falsely entitled and arrogant as the SMU fans.

Never thought I'd see the day where I found fans worse than A&M fans, but that day has arrived.

• Upvote 2

I grew up a UT fan and have changed into a UNT fan ever since I started going there. I can tell you this much, I always hated Aggie, Sooner, and Red Raider fans. I found them to be annoying and obnoxious. But, I have never seen a fan base as falsely entitled and arrogant as the SMU fans.

Never thought I'd see the day where I found fans worse than A&M fans, but that day has arrived.

Aggie, Sooner and Red Raider fans have reasons to be arrogant. SMUt fans have NO reason. They are famous for getting the Death Penalty and James killing hookers, that's it.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 3

There is a vicious cycle of false superiority complexes in this part of the country...

Longhorns say ugly things about the Sooners, Aggies say ugly things about the Longhorns, Red Raiders say ugly things about the Aggies, Mean Green say ugly things about the Red Raiders, Mustangs say ugly things about the Mean Green.

if the Bears and Frogs would stop being so nice to everyone I would gladly welcome them into this mix. Perhaps winning all the time keeps them from running their mouths.

Edited by Maduro
  • Upvote 1

Let me say first off that I could not care less what SMU thinks about North Texas.

It is mind boggling that so many NT fans CARE about what those pompous asses on the Hill think.

Why does SMU's take on anything NT does more relevant than what UT-Dallas or Trinity think.

I understand the history with the Rich pricks, but it is disturbing that NT alums want to 1-up SMU, a school we have very little recent athletic history with. I am proud to be MEAN GREEN and wish the ponies nothing but the recent success they have had to continue.

• Upvote 3