UTSA to Sun Belt?

Let's be honest. Most of you are not so concerned about us moving up so much as having to play us every year. What's worse playing in a conference with recent move up. Or losing to recent move ups. Truth is UNT has done little to separate from TXST and UTSA has a huge advantage with San Antonio. Doesn't matter if UNT goes to CUSA if you guys just remain at doormat status. Even if you guys try to avoid us on your schedule if we are winning and you guys are losing, we will be the better program.

Division 1 football or basketball ain't the Southland Conference. Houston, Texas Tech, Nevada, New Mexico, and Navy next year? Sorry, your team is a doormat. Where do you get the idea that UNT is avoiding playing ya'll? You guys were 1aa and then joined the WAC. Honestly, most folks I know don't give ya'll or UTSA a thought. This is me being honest. I could care less about your school or UTSA and it's smaller than DFW TV market.

While you talk about your "winning" team, try winning your first game or conference championship at the FBS level in your school's history. Then come back here with your pathetic taunts. Additionally, we did play ya'll every year for a bit and ya'll went 5-9 against us in the all time record. This is more honesty. We haven beaten you since our last meeting in 1994 and we didn't care about your team then either.

Honestly, I care about my team.

Good luck leaving your little pond. Happy trolling.

Edited by UNTexas
  • Upvote 1

Let's be honest. Most of you are not so concerned about us moving up so much as having to play us every year. What's worse playing in a conference with recent move up. Or losing to recent move ups. Truth is UNT has done little to separate from TXST and UTSA has a huge advantage with San Antonio. Doesn't matter if UNT goes to CUSA if you guys just remain at doormat status. Even if you guys try to avoid us on your schedule if we are winning and you guys are losing, we will be the better program.

TXST_CAT,....some of us who've been around maybe before you were even born know exactly where you are coming from and some of us have expressed almost the exact very things you are saying in your post well over 30-35 years ago now. In the 70's, Fry had some great teams but no one in Texas knew it because UT AD Darrell Royal was about the only one who would schedule us and first game with the Horns we almost won. SMU scheduled us in 1977 and got beat. TCU would never play a Hayden Fry-coached team and all in the DFW Metroplex knew why, but this is the way of the Texas D1- pecking order. UNT could not change that pecking order no matter how hard we tried nor will your school. Expect this once your school moves up to the FBS; that is, when you think your team can beat anybody but the problem will be that anybody just won't schedule your team. UNT has been there--done it all and have seen it all.

Your journey (if you make it to the Sun Belt) will have been much easier than the one many of us on this board witnessed going back almost to the North Texas Abner Haynes' Sun Bowl team of the late 50's. Yet at this moment in time of our own NCAA D1 athletic journey (save 12 humiliating years in NCAA 1-AA) this is a torch we of North Texas will gladly pass onto Texas State-San Marcos because quite frankly......North Texas is long over-due in removing this torch from the deepest, darkest crevices of our derrier. UNT has had to endure much of what we've done athletically in Texas all on our own without the encouragement or assistance of any other Texas D-1 (FBS) universities. We'd also try to shame them in to playing us with no success. We tried to tell them "but we would be make such good rivals" to no avail since it takes 2 to tango while it also takes 2 to be......a rivalry.. Yet in spite of it all, we've had some high times-we've had some low times. Enjoy your journey.

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 4

Hey TSUSM__CAT, how did joining the WAC and all that smack talk from a year ago work out for you, and UTSA for that matter? I like hour school much better than UTSA, but win a game above FCS level before you start talking smack. Heck, outside of 3 or 4 big years, your history is pretty nondescript.

Well, I almost think that it was someone who shouldn't have been talking, talking. It got deleted from the CUSA board, too.

I like how google's search results page shows you the first few words of the post (that no longer exists due to the thread being deleted). Definitely looked VERY specific in terms of timetable. Kind of has me thinking it must have some truth to it.

• Upvote 1

Also, wanted to add a thought on UTSA. If it is really true that they do not want the Alamo Dome to be their permanent home, and want to build an on campus stadium...then I don't want ANY part of adding them to either the Sun Belt, or CUSA in the future. They have corporate and city buy in right now precisely BECAUSE they play downtown and bring college football to the Riverwalk area. Move out of there and what happens to their support? I bet that it falls back to something more in line, historically, with their basketball support. Moving out of the Alamo Dome would be the single dumbest move they could make, IMHO.

Edited by TIgreen01
  • Upvote 1

Also, wanted to add a thought on UTSA. If it is really true that they do not want the Alamo Dome to be their permanent home, and want to build an on campus stadium...then I don't want ANY part of adding them to either the Sun Belt, or CUSA in the future. They have corporate and city buy in right now precisely BECAUSE they play downtown and bring college football to the Riverwalk area. Move out of there and what happens to their support? I bet that it falls back to something more in line, historically, with their basketball support. Moving out of the Alamo Dome would be the single dumbest move they could make, IMHO.

The Alamodome is a hole. That's why they want out. But yes.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

I was at the Alamodome a few years ago and while it needs a little upgrading I didn't think that place was too shabby especially for a college football team and one that is starting out. That stadium isn't ideal as something on campus is more ideal but I wouldn't criticize the Alamodome because it is a pretty nice facility for UTSA at this point in their football starting history.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

The damn thing's not even 20 years old and I went to the Alamo Bowl THIS YEAR. It's not a hole. Maybe it doesn't have luxury suites? I'll give you that the concessions areas aren't the greatest. Is renovation out of the question? It's funny how in the last 7-10 years we've somehow, collectively, mandated that any stadium that doesn't have a load of luxury boxes is old and out-dated. I'm sick of it.

• Upvote 2

Nice troll post...anyway, I will say that your post is full of sour grapes. Don't worry, more than anyone else in the state, we get it about your current position in the Texas pecking order of college programs. We hated getting blackballed by SMU and the other Texas privates, but there was literally nothing we could do about it, since we weren't located in the heart of the DFW market like SMU and TCU were. Of course, there were even more Longhorns, Aggies, Sooners, Red Raiders, Razorbacks, Bears, etc...in the DFW area, too. It took everyone moving upward for us to get a chance to move up to replace them, but it finally appears to be happening. UTSA will get the benefit of San Antonio's TV sets, just as UH did back in the 70s to get into the SWC and UTEP has done for El Paso's TV sets to get into CUSA. It sucks for you guys because you will see how it truly feels to get blackballed by another "peer" university when you want to move up in conference affiliation. Being in a college town that is "near" Austin/San Antonio like Denton is near DFW will tear your heart out when the SAEN writes stories about UTSA's game against South Alabama while y'all are playing in a big WAC game against Idaho that could vault you into first place. It will crush you that your story is at the bottom of page 12 of the Sunday edition of the Austin American Statesman, when you beat Idaho to be in 1st place in the WAC, but Texas' non-conference win over Louisiana-Monroe gets the rest of the paper's coverage on pages 1-11 and the top of page 12.

Trust me when I say this, no one else can understand your plight more than UNT can. I am going to be real honest here--its gonna suck real bad for a long, long time for you. Good luck--your gonna need it for decades to come.

Edited by untjim1995
  • Upvote 6

"According to Lipscomb and Athletics Director Lynn Hickey, plans for the complex have changed. “The (football stadium has) effectively been taken out of the Master Plan,” Lipscomb said. Last year, UTSAofficials distanced the university from the idea of a Park West stadium, citing a lack of space and the first-class fan and athlete experience at the Alamodome. Hickey solidified this position, saying, “We have a great place to play in the Alamodome, and we do not have enough land at Park West to accommodate a football stadium and the necessary parking. We have a great situation with the City of San Antonio in utilizing theAlamodome and are currently working on finalizing a long term contract for UTSA Football in the Alamodome.”

http://www.paisano-online.com/...23#.T44XnqtZijt

• Upvote 1

The damn thing's not even 20 years old and I went to the Alamo Bowl THIS YEAR. It's not a hole. Maybe it doesn't have luxury suites? I'll give you that the concessions areas aren't the greatest. Is renovation out of the question? It's funny how in the last 7-10 years we've somehow, collectively, mandated that any stadium that doesn't have a load of luxury boxes is old and out-dated. I'm sick of it.

It has 50 luxury suites and the city gets half the revenue from Twelve of them. UTSA keeps the rest. Alcohol sales go to the city along with all the liability. You can buy a beer anywhere in the stadium.

Sorry to correct, been reading the 'Go Runnerssssssss' stupid posts on the WACky board and these questions have all been brought up /answered.

• Upvote 1

i read somewhere U of Minnesota will now start selling alcohol. West Virgina netted $520,00.00 last season in alcohol sales.

They allow the budwiser tent right in front of the gate.

Miller is also there by tailgating.

You have all the students staying out tailgating drinking during the game.

why not make half a million a year on whats already going on outside APOGEE?

You have taken school pride to a whole new level. And by the way, that great coach of yours has never been the same since he parted ways with Gary Patterson at TCU, but Patterson has done great things since Fran left. Interesting isn't it? And, another thing, there won't be an LT coming to San Marcos either, which is why Fran looked so good. Can't help that you are now sandwiched between to UT System Schools with football teams. The 2 UT's is who you need to raise your ire at, because they are going to keep your program pinned to the mat for a very long time.

Edited by Green Dozer
  • Upvote 1

i read somewhere U of Minnesota will now start selling alcohol. West Virgina netted $520,00.00 last season in alcohol sales.

They allow the budwiser tent right in front of the gate.

Miller is also there by tailgating.

You have all the students staying out tailgating drinking during the game.

why not make half a million a year on whats already going on outside APOGEE?

Because when it's going on OUTSIDE of Apogee, the University is not liable (at least not as liable).

When sales are going on INSIDE of Apogee, a hefty insurance policy (probably cutting your profit in half, or more?) must be taken out, and IF something happens the University will have to spend more money defending itself from litigation.

It's just a huge risk.

If alcohol is that important, throw down the big bucks and go sit in the club level! :money:

• Upvote 1

Because when it's going on OUTSIDE of Apogee, the University is not liable (at least not as liable).

When sales are going on INSIDE of Apogee, a hefty insurance policy (probably cutting your profit in half, or more?) must be taken out, and IF something happens the University will have to spend more money defending itself from litigation.

It's just a huge risk.

If alcohol is that important, throw down the big bucks and go sit in the club level! :money:

the $520K was net, not gross. That was the amount they made after insurance and cogs.

• Upvote 1

I'm a little torn on the alcohol situation... while it's nice to be able to enjoy a beer at a game, the great thing is that the college games, for the most part, are not the drunk fests that NFL games are...

even look at MLB and the situation they had with that Giants/Dodgers game...

while you can definitely get drunk without buying beer inside the game, at least UNT can still promote the confines of Apogee Stadium as a very family friendly environment.

• Upvote 1

It has 50 luxury suites and the city gets half the revenue from Twelve of them. UTSA keeps the rest. Alcohol sales go to the city along with all the liability. You can buy a beer anywhere in the stadium.

Sorry to correct, been reading the 'Go Runnerssssssss' stupid posts on the WACky board and these questions have all been brought up /answered.

Ok, I really couldn't remember, so good to know. Also, glad you pulled up the reference to the school's officials removing the idea of moving out of the Alamodome. That is a wise move on their part. I still don't get the thought that that place is a dump...it's anything but, impo.

• Upvote 1