Saturday night coach search update

Brett Vito

All the names mentioned we've heard before and they are all either assistants or former coaches. We shouldn't hear about any current head coaches interviewing unless they are close to hiring that person. Current head coaches rather not have it known they are looking around. I don't recall hearing about Petersen under a couple of days before he was hired.

However, of the names mentioned I think Fran would interest me the most.

• Upvote 1

Tony Benford, associate head coach

Marquette

Fran Franchilla, former St.

John's, New Mexico, Manhattan head coach, TV analys

Reggie Theus, former New Mexico State, NBA head

coach

TSteve Lutz, Creighton assistant,

former SMU assistant coach

1 of these guys was at the Spring game :ph34r:

Edited by NT03
  • Upvote 1

And his love for DFW HS BB and his contacts in the local BB circles.. would be a great recruiter and would allow for an addition X and O guy on the bench to be groomed as a replacement. Then shoot for a young guy that can be groomed into the recruiting coordinator job and head ASST when Fran leaves his X and O guy takes the job...

Why does he have to leave?

The attention alone from ESPN by hiring fran will be worth the hire.

Couldn't disagree more. So we get our 15 minutes. So what. Someone is going to have to recruit players and win basketball games.

Fran may be the guy, but it should have NOTHING to do with any temporary publicity we get from ESPN,

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

Why did Vito include Forrest on his list. Does the mean JJ recommended Forrest, and Forest wants job. RV say's I've been though this with Rawlins ie Coach Canales so I can't offer Forrest job until search complete. Coach Forrest talks to JJ and JJ offers position knowing he went through same situation at Memphis and LSU in the past.

Vito seems to be fishing on Forrest as coach unless RV realizes none of the other coaches are really better than Forrest from recruiting standpoint and so forth based on his short list.

Personally I'd like to see Forrest hired at UNT for continuity's sake and the fact that Forrest can obviously recruit. My fear is Forrest will be treated like coach Canales, but move on to LSU. At least Forrest had viable options like Spencer Leftwich before Coach Dodge was fired. :sword:

All of this is really conjecture and spitballing. I'm sorry too Cooley, I don't know much about mr maisonet but if we are linking to lists by someone covering either Houston or Atlanta basketball and former writer for bleacher report, I'm more apt to think there are people on this board that know better what is happening in this program.

In short, I don't think that guy knows what he is talking about. If he had posted that he called those coaches and found out that's one thing...

We are getting ourselves all spun up just like the conference realignment situation.

Also that's the second article I've seen on sbnation that appears to be just wild ass guesses to me. I bet they pay writers per word like bleacher report too.

They pay based on how popular your site/article is. I know one of the guys who writes for the Horse Racing blog on SBNation, and that's what he told me.