Next Seasons Mens Bball schedule

Zeke

This schedule is a huge improvement over what we've been used to seeing. 12 non-conference games and 5 are at home. That is a big improvement. I'm more used to 12 games with 3 at home like last year.

Plus the schedule is a bit more balanced. Some easy wins and I like seeing teams like the Bonnies on our schedule. Good tournament type teams that should test us that are not in the top 20.

Here's the article and schedule:

2003-04 Mean Green Basketball Schedule Features

Home Games Against Indiana and Baylor

DENTON (7/12/03) -- For the second straight year the North Texas schedule is highlighted by a game against Indiana, except this season the Mean Green will catch the Hoosiers at the Super Pit (Dec. 29).

Also featured on the 2003-04 home schedule will be a game against Baylor. The Mean Green will host both schools in the month of December. The rest of NT’s non-conference home games include clashes against Northwestern Oklahoma State -- which kicks off the Mean Green’s season --, Hardin Simmons and UT-Pan American.

"This year’s schedule will be very challenging for our players and staff, but exciting for our fans as we continue to upgrade our non-conference home schedule," said North Texas head coach Johnny Jones.

The road schedule also presents some tough challenges in Arkansas and Metroplex-rival TCU. The Mean Green will play the Horned Frogs on Dec. 13 and travel to Arkansas on Jan. 3 to begin its schedule in the new year. The road schedule also will include a trip to the state of New York to face St. Bonaventure on Dec. 20. The Mean Green will play Lamar on the road as well, marking the first game between the two schools since 1986-87 when both were members of the Southland Conference.

"We look forward to hosting tough opponents such as Indiana and Baylor at the Super Pit and going on the road to play Arkansas at Bud Walton Arena, one of the toughest venues for opposing teams in college basketball," said Jones. "We also look forward to traveling to play St. Bonaventure, Southeast Missouri State and Metroplex-rival TCU, to name just a few of the tough teams that comprise our schedule."

North Texas will have the benefit of hosting New Mexico State, Denver and FIU to kick off the Sun Belt Conference portion of its schedule. However, the Mean Green will face defending Sun Belt Conference champion Western Kentucky in Bowling Green, Kent.

DATE DAY OPPONENT SITE TIME

NOV. 21 FRI. NORTHWESTERN OKLAHOMA STATE DENTON, TEXAS 7 PM

Nov. 29 Wed. at Lamar Beaumont, Texas TBA

Dec. 3 Wed. at Southern University Baton Rouge, Louisiana TBA

DEC. 6 SAT. HARDIN SIMMONS DENTON, TEXAS 7 PM

DEC. 9 TUES. BAYLOR DENTON, TEXAS 7 PM

Dec. 13 Sat. at TCU Fort Worth, Texas TBA

Dec. 17 Wed. at UT Pan American Edinburg, Texas TBA

Dec. 20 Sat. at St. Bonaventure St. Bonaventure, New York TBA

Dec. 22 Mon. at Southeast Missouri State Cape Girardeau, Missouri TBA

DEC. 29 MON. INDIANA DENTON, TEXAS 7 PM

Jan. 3 Sat. at Arkansas Fayetteville, Arkansas 2 PM

JAN. 8 THURS. UT-PAN AMERICAN DENTON, TEXAS 7 PM

JAN. 10 SAT. NEW MEXICO STATE* DENTON, TEXAS 7 PM

JAN. 15 THURS. DENVER* DENTON, TEXAS 7 PM

JAN. 19 MON. FIU* DENTON, TEXAS 7 PM

Jan. 22 Thurs. at Arkansas-Little Rock* Little Rock, Arkansas TBA

Jan. 24 Sat. at Arkansas State* Jonesboro, Arkansas TBA

JAN. 29 THURS. NEW ORLEANS* DENTON, TEXAS 7 PM

JAN. 31 SAT. SOUTH ALABAMA* DENTON, TEXAS 7 PM

Feb. 5 Thurs. at UL Lafayette* Lafayette, Louisiana TBA

Feb. 7 Sat. at New Mexico State* Las Cruces, New Mexico TBA

FEB. 12 THURS. MIDDLE TENNESSEE* DENTON, TEXAS 7 PM

Feb. 14 Sat. at Western Kentucky* Bowling Green, Kentukcy TBA

Feb. 19 Thurs. at Denver* Denver, Colorado TBA

Feb. 21 Sat. UL LAFAYETTE* DENTON, TEXAS 7 PM

Feb. 26 Thurs. at New Orleans* New Orleans, Louisiana TBA

Feb. 29 Sun. at South Alabama* Mobile, Alabama TBA

Mar. 6-9 Sun Belt Conference Tournament Bowling Green, Kentucky

I'm very happy to see us play some of the other teams in Texas like Lamar and UTPA. I've always been an advocate of bringing in some our old SLC rivals home-and-home for non-conference games, only as opposed to playing Div. II no-name schools like Hardin-Simmons and NW Oklahoma. However, I was surprised to see us going TO Lamar and UTPA. Hopefully they'll be giving us at least one if not two return trips.

When is the Darrell Dickey Invitational Football game (i.e. The New Orleans Bowl). Does it interfere with the IU game. If the IU game is after the NO Bowl, maybe we can present the Bowl Trophy to the crowd.

When is the Darrell Dickey Invitational Football game (i.e. The New Orleans Bowl). Does it interfere with the IU game. If the IU game is after the NO Bowl, maybe we can present the Bowl Trophy to the crowd.

The New Orleans Bowl is Dec. 16 and the Indiana game is Dec. 29.

However, I was surprised to see us going TO Lamar and UTPA.

I had to make the trip to Edinburg from Denton earlier this summer and after San Antonio, it's a whole, whole lot of nothing except a few speed traps. If they have to ride a bus to this game, I honestly feel for the team.

I earned my BBA at Pan American (now UTPA). Excellent basketball history and will be no pushover for us. Poorest record last year in many years but they have a good coach and were very competitive. I had the privelege to live in the same dorm with, and know, Lucious Jackson; he was the MVP of the '64 Olympics team and NBA rookie of the year with the 76ers. They came to the Super Pit many years ago (70's) but I could never figure out why we stopped the series.

RE: travel, that 225 miles from San Antonio to Edinburg IS full of nothing. I'll bet they will just fly into McAllen (airport is only 10 miles from the campus). The Valley is a nice place but it is almost the end of the earth!

I grew up in Edinburg and can tell you it's not the end of the world, but you can see it from there! It's about a 10 hour drive if you stay 70 or under.

You can fly into McAllen on American or Harlingen on Southwest. Harlingen about the same distance as Denton to DFW and a little closer than Denton to Love Field. You can usually get a better car rental in Harlingen.

UTPA does have a strong basketball tradition. Back when I was in school, Abe Lemmons was the coach. Also was a strong baseball school.

One reason we might not play this team is the homer refs. in their field house. I can remember listening to broadcast of the game and the announcers could not believe fouls were not called on the home team....very flagrant, visiable fouls. Our players were getting hurt...going up for shots and rebounds and having their legs cut out from under them.

That was some time ago though.

Looks like a good schedule. At Lamar and at UTPA (rejected two years ago for SLC membership) is a bit of a surprise, as are the Division II games. One of these days, NT should play UTA. I think both schools would benefit, the same way TCU is gaining by playing us both. Anyway, good luck against Indiana and St. Bonaventure!