LSU Board predicting JJ next head coach

Harry

Rubbish.....too divisive a name for that AD to take that kind of a chance. The other forum asking "Johnny Jones....Yes or No?" was decidedly against Jones. Plus...success with next years team will land him a far more prestigious offer than LSU ...PLUS...allow him the satisfaction of seeing his efforts come to fruition.

Rubbish.....too divisive a name for that AD to take that kind of a chance. The other forum asking "Johnny Jones....Yes or No?" was decidedly against Jones. Plus...success with next years team will land him a far more prestigious offer than LSU ...PLUS...allow him the satisfaction of seeing his efforts come to fruition.

Unfortunately for this argument, this looks to be like how Aston's move played out.

It's the one place they'd leave NT for...

The fans are dismissing it.

I'm gonna be honest, I'm sweating bullets.

Unfortunately for this argument, this looks to be like how Aston's move played out.

It's the one place they'd leave NT for...

The fans are dismissing it.

I'm gonna be honest, I'm sweating bullets.

Agreed. But let's not forget that there are too many assumptions on what this team will or could do next season. While it looks promising nothing is ever a guarantee. LSU is JJ's dream job and on top of all that he will get a more than significant raise to coach there. Even if it wasn't the LSU but just another high profile conference school paying him more than double or triple than what he's getting at NT then I surely don't fault a guy for ceasing that opportunity.

You really think LSU would pay JJ 1.5 million or more? I could be wrong but that is a lot of money to pay a coach with no tournament wins and a so-so conference record at a mid major. Maybe they ante up to get him but I just don't see it. Does JJ take 750 or 1 mill. Maybe, maybe not.

Can we up the ante? Can we afford to go to the 6-700k range?

• Upvote 1

I am pretty sure LSU doesn't come calling. If JJ had gotten us to the tournament this past season (and/or the year before) I think it'd be more likely. As it is, our last NCAA berth was 2010, which was also probably too long ago to sell him to their fanbase.

(Especially since they have not been since 2009)

Edited by CMJ

I am pretty sure LSU doesn't come calling. If JJ had gotten us to the tournament this past season (and/or the year before) I think it'd be more likely. As it is, our last NCAA berth was 2010, which was also probably too long ago to sell him to their fanbase.

(Especially since they have not been since 2009)

Am I missing something? Has the LSU coach left for TCU?

If not, crazy speculation for job that isn't open, especially by the LSU fandom.

Yes. Press conference expected Monday

Well, I'm just a little behind the curve. Let me send this to myself:

lmgtfy.com

I think JJ stays one more year. He could get a huge payoff job-wise if next year's team is all that we think it will be.

Either way, I just hope LSU doesn't make a decision until after April 29th.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 1

Plus...success with next years team will land him a far more prestigious offer than LSU

I I don't think he ever lands a job better than LSU (if they even offer). They are still in the SEC and still have a great history. It's not like Duke,UNC,Kentucky will ever come calling for him.

I I don't think he ever lands a job better than LSU (if they even offer). They are still in the SEC and still have a great history. It's not like Duke,UNC,Kentucky will ever come calling for him.

I'm pretty sure JJ stays at UNT until LSU comes calling. If that is now, then there's really not much that could be done.

If Johnson is out at LSU, then you'd better believe that JJ has already made a call to their AD to inquire. It's his career. He's going to try and advance it. And if he ever gets the LSU job, I would not be surprised to see him retire there.

Agreed. But let's not forget that there are too many assumptions on what this team will or could do next season. While it looks promising nothing is ever a guarantee. LSU is JJ's dream job and on top of all that he will get a more than significant raise to coach there. Even if it wasn't the LSU but just another high profile conference school paying him more than double or triple than what he's getting at NT then I surely don't fault a guy for ceasing that opportunity.

Hope he does cease that opportunity.

• Upvote 3

LSU is a great job btw. They've had 3 final fours in their history, plus some of the all-time greats play there. Other than the true blue bloods of college basketball, LSU is one of the best jobs in the country.

(Potential wise anyways....they haven't shown it much as of late)

Edited by CMJ
  • Upvote 1

You really think LSU would pay JJ 1.5 million or more? I could be wrong but that is a lot of money to pay a coach with no tournament wins and a so-so conference record at a mid major. Maybe they ante up to get him but I just don't see it. Does JJ take 750 or 1 mill. Maybe, maybe not.

Can we up the ante? Can we afford to go to the 6-700k range?

I don't think they'll pay him 1.5 million more but I believe JJ is making about 250-300k here so even if they give him say 750k a season to come to Baton Rouge I think he takes it in a heartbeat. JJ could possibly get a slight raise but it won't even compare to any of the bigger basketball program offers. And hypothetically if RV did give JJ 600-700k/season then he would significantly make more than the football coach. And while I am totally okay with that I don't know how RV and the rest of the admin and big boosters feel about that.

Due to his overall track record from a big wins and tournament wins standpoint that is the reason why I don't think LSU ultimately chooses JJ....it won't have enough splash and pizzazz value for the LSU fans and boosters. But if LSU runs out of options and they look for a dark horse and a guy who could be a bang for your buck coach with past history and the backing of Dale Brown...then JJ could very well be that answer.

LSU is a great job btw. They've had 3 final fours in their history, plus some of the all-time greats play there. Other than the true blue bloods of college basketball, LSU is one of the best jobs in the country.

(Potential wise anyways....they haven't shown it much as of late)

Your probably right. A B-load more money, that's for sure. Maybe I just think about LSU in recent terms. But, basketball will always be 2nd there.

K. St. or LSU, which is the better job? LSU obviously has more history, but K St. has been better recently and isn't overshadowed by the football program.

Your probably right. A B-load more money, that's for sure. Maybe I just think about LSU in recent terms. But, basketball will always be 2nd there.

K. St. or LSU, which is the better job? LSU obviously has more history, but K St. has been better recently and isn't overshadowed by the football program.

I really don't think you guys understand... They could knock $10k off of what he's making here now.

Here's why he wants to coach there (also consider his 13 years of asst. coaching there):

ECUWEFCRTXYYKLT.20110118221045.jpg

• Upvote 1

Just let coach Forrest take over & I'll be happy. Otherwise I'm afraid we will see our recruiting slip & players potentially transfer. With a handful of ships to offer in 2013 , recruiting will be crucial

Edited by NT03

If the powers that be are looking at post season success, they are not going to just look at his goose egg in the NCAA. I think a huge selling point for JJ is his knack for turning things around in time for the Belt tourney.

I really like to think he is a season away from breaking the NCAA ice and taking this to another level. I hope he and Tony sit in the office together and say "Let's make one more big run together. We can do this." Even at LSU, he will rarely - if ever - get the chance to coach a player like Tony.

There are just so many dynamics to consider, and I have no idea what decisions will be made.

Edited by greenminer
  • Upvote 1

Just let coach Forrest take over & I'll be happy. Otherwise I'm afraid we will see our recruiting slip & players potentially transfer. With a handful of ships to offer in 2013 , recruiting will be crucial

RV would look for someone who's been a head coach before and he should have plenty of resumes to look at considering what we have returning and what we have coming in.

Edited by NorthTexan95

There is no bigger job for JJ than Louisiana State. He played there, he started his coaching career there. He loves that place. If he gets an offer from there, it's a dream come true and I'd wish him the best, because there's no way he'd turn it down.

Would they hire him? I know we at North Texas never achieved anything that we couldn't manage to diminish and denigrate eventually (or immediately). But JJ has done some amazing things here. I'm not saying he's going to get the job, or even that they wouldn't call some other people first. But he definitely has to be on the radar.

The fact of the matter for LSU is that they have 5 open scholarships to fill, and signing period opens on Wednesday. They can't afford to dick around hearing "no" for a month from 8 or 9 candidates like SMU did. They need to make a move within the next week or so. They'll probably put feelers out with some other people to gauge their interest, but I wouldn't be shocked at all if they wound up talking to JJ, and I definitely don't think it would take long for them to close a deal together if/when they do.

Other than South Carolina, which got lucky with a disgruntled Frank Martin... Has anyone managed to make the much-desired "splash hire" this silly season? Every other team that has made a change has wound up doing it for change's sake. Most schools seem to have actually downgraded, in my opinion.

If you're LSU, a school that fired a Final Four coach and was probably a year away from firing Trent Johnson... A school where basketball will always be a distant second priority, but the expectations will be top level... How hesitant will outside coaches be to take your job? And, would you hire a guy who played on one of your 3 Final Four teams and coached on another? A guy who turned our school into an actual basketball program? A guy who recruits over his league, who has over a decade of connections and is beloved in the Dallas AAU/High School area, and who also has a history of pulling recruits in from Louisiana and the Houston/Gulf Coast area?

He's got a legacy at LSU, he's got a proven record of building a program, he can recruit, he wins games. He WANTS to be there.

The one stain on him for LSU is the Lester Earl situation. And as fishy as that 'scandal' seemed to many of their fans at the time... Earl recanted everything 4 and a half years ago.

"I was pressured into telling them SOMETHING. I was 19 years old at that time. The NCAA intimidated me, manipulated me into making up things, and basically encouraged me to lie, in order to be able to finish my playing career at Kansas. They told me if we don't find any dirt on Coach Brown you won't be allowed to play but one more year at Kansas. I caused great harm, heartache and difficulties for so many people. I feel sorriest for hurting Coach Brown. Coach Brown, I apologize to you for tarnishing your magnificent career at LSU."

Has JJ won any NCAA tournament games? Not yet. But just getting us there twice (and putting us on the cusp of it 2 other times) coupled with his recruiting background makes him a serious contender. If he can sell our program, he can definitely sell the hell out of LSU's. And even the skeptics in their fan base started turning around after the 20 point blowout in Baton Rouge back in the 2010-11 season. People tend to respect someone who gives them the most violent home spanking they've received since the national champs rolled through town 15 years before.

I'm not saying he's getting the job, but he's definitely a possibility. And if they want him, they'll get him. The selfish part of me would hate to see him go. But with all he's done for this school and this program, if LSU makes his professional dream come true... I'd be happy for him.

If he does go, Coach Forrest should have the head coach chair pulled out for him IMMEDIATELY. If he doesn't want it... The guys saying that this will be a very popular job are right. It could be an interesting and terrifying few weeks.