Utah State emerges as serious candidate to join Mountain West

Harry

Utah State’s days in the Western Athletic Conference may soon be coming to an end.

The Salt Lake Tribune has learned that USU has emerged as a serious candidate to join the Mountain West Conference, which has formed a partnership with Conference USA that is scheduled to take effect this summer.

At a glance

MWC members

As of July 1, 2013

Wyoming

Colorado State

Air Force

New Mexico

UNLV

Nevada

Fresno State

Hawaii*

*Football-only member

C-USA members

As of July 1, 2013

East Carolina

Southern Miss

Rice

Marshall

Tulane

Tulsa

UTEP

UAB

Utah State has been in on-and-off talks with the MWC for almost two years, but new developments indicate that the Aggies have taken a significant step forward in the process.

"What we do know is that there is heavy interest on both sides," a source with knowledge of the situation told The Tribune on Wednesday.

Mountain West commissioner Craig Thompson and C-USA commissioner Britton Bankowski visited Utah State’s campus last month as part of a fact-finding tour that also included San Jose State. It’s the strongest indication yet that the two schools are serious, and perhaps leading candidates, to join the MWC — which was once home to both Utah and BYU.

Utah State officials declined comment, and Mountain West officials did not immediately respond to messages. But it is expected that a decision on USU and SJSU’s membership will likely to come in the next 30-90 days. Most conference by-laws have a July 1st deadline for schools moving to another league.

During that time frame the Mountain West and Conference USA also are expected to finalize their partnership.

Read more: http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/sports/53864104-77/state-west-utah-conference.html.csp

What did you hear that you can hang your hat on? Neither Utah State nor the Mountain West confirmed anything. Maybe we can get Vito to speculate in the DMN that North Texas is a serious candidate to join CUSA.

Nothing. I just wish we would get something other than silence. An invite would be nice.

• Upvote 1

Nothing. I just wish we would get something other than silence. An invite would be nice.

Unfortunately, as I understand it, there are five groups of MWC/CUSA presidents working on different aspects of the alliance. There are two problems with that...the coalition is part-time and getting several to agree on anything. It has been said that we will know something no later than early June.

• Upvote 1

Something like this gets me wondering … how long until each “Alliance” conference starts doing what is best for them? What I am thinking is that there are still a lot of issues that need to be worked out – especially about the conference playoff that will not get NCAA approval this year. At some point, and with notification deadlines for teams to be allowed to exit their current conferences coming up, the MWC or CUSA will take a “we needed to do this to protect ourselves move”. My guess is the MWC will make the first move due to the unanswered question as to whether or not Air Force heads to the Big East.

Just my thoughts but I think that the conference playoff issue is dead when it was decided to disband the one conference idea. I think that there will be a championship game between the two conferences but no semifinals. Of course, the matchup of similarly ranked teams on the 12th week was unique and I hope that it will be tried.

As to Air Force, I believe that they will stay put until at least 2015 when Navy joins the Big East. But, if there is no AQ by then even that may lose its attraction. I don't know if increased exit fees are the answer to teams changing conferences or not. If it's really lucrative teams will move and if it's not they would stay anyway.

UTSA had people on campus on Thursday from the Alliance and apparently Texas State had people on campus today. La Tech gets a visit next week. I would expect UNT to get a visit either Monday or Tuesday.

Someone posted that a group from CUSA was on campus some time back. During the meeting in Dallas at the time the Tulane AD or Prez came to see Apogee.