Jump to content
  • Welcome to GoMeanGreen.com!

    Thank you for visiting us!  Registering is easy and free, and provides you with the ability to participate in the discussions along with many cool features and content.

Sign in to follow this  
All About UNT

Sunbelt Conference Baseball Stadiums

Recommended Posts

Since we are in the stages of planning on opening the program back up and getting a baseball stadium built.... I just wanted to compare what other Sunbelt Schools currently have (though I should be checking CUSA schools :ph34r: )

Ark. State's J.A. “Ike” Tomlinson Stadium

DSCN9869b.jpg

ULL's baseball field

field_la_university_of_louisiana_lafayette_baseball.jpg

FIU's stadium

2723232059_581cd5787f.jpg

ULM's Warhawks Stadium

ULM_-_From_CF_Far_V2T.jpg

Troy's Riddle Pace Field

baseball01.jpg

3258100665_3922b58300.jpg

WKU's field

UUSSYEFZXASQWCE.20090211212559.jpg

FAU

FAU-PristineField1.jpg

South Alabama (nicest in the Belt)

IMG_9035.jpg

IMG_8948.jpg

IMG_9043.jpg

UALR

KBsBirthday-054b.jpg

and just for good measure here....

Rice

Recklingheaderversion.jpg

Houston

cougar-field-header.jpg

USM

taylor-park-500.jpg

Memphis

fedexarial2.jpg

Tulane

022508_wide-stadium2-1D8A8F.jpg

3c38483f88faa25d47fd6892e961bd93_1M.png

sect-201_box.jpg

ECU

baseball1.jpg

East-Carolina-University-Campus-Stadiums-Aerial-Shot-of-Clark-LeClair-Stadium-ECU-CP-STA-00027lg.jpg

UCF

baseball-renovation-big.jpg

Marshall (shares with Minor League team)

apcoPowerPark.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Some really nice stadiums...I wonder what the budget requires to build and maintain these stadiums? Is there a spot where one can find that info? Would also make for interesting comparisons and would give us a feel for what UNT must allocate to baseball. We'll definitely need more Mean Green Club Members and some increased donations from existing members to do this right. I hope everyone doesn't just sit back and say..."well there is some big rich guy that wants to fund the whole thing"...not going to happen. It will take $$$$ on an on-going basis to make this happen and to be competitive. I'm on board for increasing my donation level as best I can to help...even if it isn't men's soccer....which, by the way, would be way less expensive...just saying..... :-). But, count me in for an bit of an increase...who else?

  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Some really nice stadiums...I wonder what the budget requires to build and maintain these stadiums? Is there a spot where one can find that info? Would also make for interesting comparisons and would give us a feel for what UNT must allocate to baseball. We'll definitely need more Mean Green Club Members and some increased donations from existing members to do this right. I hope everyone doesn't just sit back and say..."well there is some big rich guy that wants to fund the whole thing"...not going to happen. It will take $$$$ on an on-going basis to make this happen and to be competitive. I'm on board for increasing my donation level as best I can to help...even if it isn't men's soccer....which, by the way, would be way less expensive...just saying..... :-). But, count me in for an bit of an increase...who else?

Well this is the Top 10 Performing Teams and how much is spent on their programs.

Top 10 Teams

I also read that Cal had to shut down their program which cost them 1 million a year.

NCAA Athletic Cost Study

In 2009 the average FBS baseball program spent $1,147,000 but only generated $297,000 in REVENUE.

The average Coaching Staff cost $332,000 a year

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Our stadium benchmarks should be South Alabama, ECU, Tulane, and Memphis. I can't really tell about Memphis' seating.

Edited by DeepGreen
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well this is the Top 10 Performing Teams and how much is spent on their programs.

Top 10 Teams

I also read that Cal had to shut down their program which cost them 1 million a year.

NCAA Athletic Cost Study

In 2009 the average FBS baseball program spent $1,147,000 but only generated $297,000 in REVENUE.

The average Coaching Staff cost $332,000 a year

WOW...that's some serious change compared to what it costs to field men's soccer...especially since UNT already has a stadium...anyway...the point is...it costs a bunch of money to run a baseball program. So, since baseball is "next up" it appears...good deal there for lots of folks...it's time to start increasing those Mean green Club donations and memberships...especially from the folks who have been clamoring for and posting about baseball at UNT for so long. I increased my donation level and will do so even more once there is an "official" stadium and/or program announcement (no way some rich dude funds the continued operation of this program all by him or herself)...hopefully in the soon to be set "podcast with RV"...one never knows where a podcast will go...

  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't understand why an historically underfunded athletic program such as UNT would add a financial albatross such as baseball. The capital costs for a stadium are double digit millions, and you are guaranteed seven figure loses.

  • Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If we are going to add a sport it should be men’s soccer. I’ve expressed this opinion a few times, always to a collective eye roll, but the program would be nationally relevant almost immediately. 

  • Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Downvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, wardly said:

I don't understand why an historically underfunded athletic program such as UNT would add a financial albatross such as baseball. The capital costs for a stadium are double digit millions, and you are guaranteed seven figure loses.

What was it that caused you to crank up the WABAC machine?

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Mean Green Matt said:

If we are going to add a sport it should be men’s soccer. I’ve expressed this opinion a few times, always to a collective eye roll, but the program would be nationally relevant almost immediately. 

North Texas is a hotbed for developing soccer talent. Just look at how many players from the Gold Cup roster are from here or went through the FC Dallas academy. I fully agree with you that a Men's soccer program would be relevant almost immediately if we can draw in the talent. We hate them but SMU is usually one of the top Men's Soccer programs in the country. Men's soccer would be much more beneficial for us IMO. 

  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, UNT Texas Hooligan said:

North Texas is a hotbed for developing soccer talent. Just look at how many players from the Gold Cup roster are from here or went through the FC Dallas academy. I fully agree with you that a Men's soccer program would be relevant almost immediately if we can draw in the talent. We hate them but SMU is usually one of the top Men's Soccer programs in the country. Men's soccer would be much more beneficial for us IMO. 

Yep.  And CUSA is actually a very good men's soccer conference.  Kentucky (yes, that Kentucky...the SEC does not sponsor men's soccer) finished ranked #3 nationally.  Charlotte finished the year ranked #14, and ODU finished in the receiving votes category.  

  • Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Mean Green Matt said:

Yep.  And CUSA is actually a very good men's soccer conference.  Kentucky (yes, that Kentucky...the SEC does not sponsor men's soccer) finished ranked #3 nationally.  Charlotte finished the year ranked #14, and ODU finished in the receiving votes category.  

Definitely. It would be a baptism by fire with this conference in Men's soccer since even the Florida schools are very good also, but we have the resources and talent in the area to build something very quickly. Go after some local high school players or some fringe FC Dallas academy players and build from there

  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Stix said:

What was it that caused you to crank up the WABAC machine?

Gee, maybe financial responsibility . We only have so many beans in the pot, and college baseball programs bleed red, not green.

  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, wardly said:

Gee, maybe financial responsibility . We only have so many beans in the pot, and college baseball programs bleed red, not green.

Gee, is soccer really being financially responsible?  I noticed Texas Tech's women's soccer team lost almost $1.5 million this year lone.  Does soccer make any money?

  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, UNTLifer said:

Gee, is soccer really being financially responsible?  I noticed Texas Tech's women's soccer team lost almost $1.5 million this year lone.  Does soccer make any money?

No, but we have to have a women's soccer program to comply with NCAA[ Title 9 ]That' why we basically dropped an excellent Men's soccer program on Friday and started a women's program on Monday because we had an imbalance. If we add a men's program such as baseball or soccer we must add another women's, such as bowling.

  • Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I remember when that all occurred, but people on here are making the point of adding Men's Soccer instead of  baseball.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thought this was about baseball. Unless we have money to burn, there is no NCAA requirement that we add another men's sport.However, if we did men' soccer would be the cheaper of the two. My fear is that we spread out limited resources too thin. At present we are  competitive in CUSA in football and soccer. Softball is getting there, men's basketball about middle of the pack, and women's about bottom 3rd. The only CUSA championship we have won is in soccer, so until we build our other programs up I would not add other programs and never baseball.But that's just an old man's opinion.

  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, wardly said:

 The only CUSA championship we have won is in soccer, 

To be fair we have a division championship in football, regular season championships in volleyball and softball, (I think) a cross country championship, and of course the plethora of hardware procured by the womens soccer program.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

I remember when that all occurred, but people on here are making the point of adding Men's Soccer instead of  baseball.

Correct.  Men's soccer would be cheaper (most notably because the stadium already exists), it is far and away the more exciting sport, incredible hotbed of talent with very few D1 programs in the state.  I think it might actually just be SMU.

  • Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Mean Green Matt said:

To be fair we have a division championship in football, regular season championships in volleyball and softball, (I think) a cross country championship, and of course the plethora of hardware procured by the womens soccer program.

I forgot about softball and didn't know about volleyball. My point is that I just can't get behind a sport such as baseball with start up cost in the millions and fan support in the hundreds. We can't print money like the government, although our A.D. has done an excellent job of landing new major donors.

  • Upvote 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Mean Green Matt said:

Correct.  Men's soccer would be cheaper (most notably because the stadium already exists), it is far and away the more exciting sport, incredible hotbed of talent with very few D1 programs in the state.  I think it might actually just be SMU.

Men's soccer might be cheaper, but would draw a lot less interest.  

Baseball is considered by most to be the most important men's sport behind football and basketball. 

NT is not going to add men's soccer after shutting the program down along with other men's sports in fear of title IX issues.   NT had a top notch program under Hedlund.  He has done alright as a women's coach. 

I am fine with NT not adding any sports.   I don't think baseball is in NT's near future unless some really massive donations pay for construction of a first rate stadium. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, GrandGreen said:

Men's soccer might be cheaper, but would draw a lot less interest.  

Baseball is considered by most to be the most important men's sport behind football and basketball. 

NT is not going to add men's soccer after shutting the program down along with other men's sports in fear of title IX issues.   NT had a top notch program under Hedlund.  He has done alright as a women's coach. 

I am fine with NT not adding any sports.   I don't think baseball is in NT's near future unless some really massive donations pay for construction of a first rate stadium. 

I bet there would be a negligible difference in interest. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, wardly said:

Anyone know the average attendance of baseball in Sun Belt or CUSA.

2017 was the most recent I could find quickly (I didn’t look that hard, so it’s quite possible 2018 is our there somewhere). 

The report produced by the NCAA is not nearly as all encompassing as it is for football. Only the top 50 are listed. Here are the Texas, CUSA, SBC, and AAC schools in the top 50 as of 2017. LSU was #1 at 10,725, more than 2,000 higher than anyone else  

7. TAMU - 5,152

8. Texas - 5,053

9. UL-Laffy - 4,917

10. TCU - 4,786

13. Texas Tech - 4,163

16. Southern Miss - 3,369

20. East Carolina - 3,041

29. Rice - 2,454

32. Baylor - 2,291

35. Tulane - 2,003

40. Coastal Carolina - 1,854

42. Houston - 1,839

46. La Tech - 1,706

48. South Alabama - 1,659

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  



×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Please review our full Privacy Policy before using our site.