More Mavs Free Agency Talk...

I know football season is still a ways off; but for us basketball fans, basketball is an even LONGER way off. However, a lot of talk has been going on lately regarding what changes the Mavs will make to the team over the next couple of weeks. The two main scenarios I have been hearing discussed on the radio are these:

1. Keep a team that won 60 games last season in tact. Do not subtract anything, but add what you can. This is where Alonzo Mourning (or Karl Malone...hopefully not) comes in. We could sign him under the exception and keep everyone else.

2. Go for the blockbuster sign and trade. I've heard a lot of talk about one of the point guards (Nash or Van Exel), Eduardo Najera, along with some cap filler (Abdul-Wahad, Johnson, etc.) for Jermaine O' Neal. I have also heard some similar, but less drastic, possibilities to bring in an Elton Brand.

3. Then there's the Jason Kidd thing, and I just can't see how he would decide to come here, but I could be wrong.

There are a lot of rumors floating around, but the one thing that everyone seems to agree on is the fact that Mark Cuban and Don Nelson are going to make some form of a change to the team. We just don't know what it will be. We'll find out soon enough.

I tend to lean towards option 1. Keep the chemistry that already exists together for another season. From what I've heard, Mourning has been cleared by his doctors and is healthy enough to play. I know he won't be his old spectacular self, but I figure he's a guy that's good for 13 points and at least 8 or 9 boards a game. His biggest presence will be felt on the defensive end. That's what I would do. What's everyone else's takes?

Kidd would want to come here because it's a big market, the Mavs play his style, they would pay him and he would be going to a team that won 60 games and within a hair of the finals. The Jermaine O'Neal trade is a lot less likely than the Kidd one.

I agree that addition or upgrading is the way to go, Mourning would be great, and so would Scottie Pippen. I think Mourning is a done deal though.

Mourning. Why?

Malone doesn't have an inside game anymore.

Giving up one of our point guards along with Najera and a filler is too much for O'Neal. He isn't the inside presence that the Mav's need, but plays more of a Dirk style game, but not as good as Dirk without the three point range.

Kidd doesn't have an outside shot. Sure, he can run, pass, rebound and play defense, but he can't consistently knock down the jumper. Nash takes alot of pressure off of Dirk, because teams are afraid to double down on Dirk and leave Nash alone for the three. He plusses aren't enough to offset what the Mav's would lose.

Just my HO

Sure, he can run, pass, rebound and play defense, but he can't consistently knock down the jumper.

I agree with this, and if there's something the Mavs need it's defense on the perimeter. Finley, Dirk and Van Exel will light it up from deep all night, it won't matter that Kidd won't. I will give up an extra shooter for better defense for this Mavs team in a heartbeat.

I think you might be underrating O'Neal a little, but it doesn't matter, he is going to stay in Indiana.