2012 Mean Green Football Schedule

Students will turn out big on a Tuesday night nationally televised game.

Not much happens for students on a Tuesday in early October. Hype up that its actually going to be on ESPN and not ESPN the Ocho or whatever and it could be an awesome environment.

I'm more worried about the alumni side showing up.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

My thoughts exactly. If we go into this game 1-5 or even 2-4 we're going to have some major attendence problems.

With 5 home games, amd the only OOC game against a team no one cares about, I see major attendance problems whatever the record.

This schedule is unacceptable. Period. No excuses.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

How do you sell and promote your program with such a weak home schedule?

Here's hoping we have an amazing night on October 16 with a great game that gets viewers attention, and a win. Because outside of that, we got very little to promote.

Rick

Just five home games and not a very attractive home schedule seems like such a waste of a beautiful facility like Apogee. Just my thought.

The schedule is kind of weak but I see a bowl game cherry on the top at the end of this baby.

So yes 11.10 will be the last home game in Denton but we will be bowling somewhere with the MG faithful!

GMG

From Brett Vito's Mean Green Blog

Here it is - the whole thing in Black and White Print - No hiding it any more:

Sept. 1 -- at LSU

Sept. 8 -- Texas Southern

Sept. 15 -- at Kansas State

Sept. 22 -- Troy*

Sept. 29 -- at Florida Atlantic*

Oct. 6 -- at Houston

Oct. 16 -- Louisiana-Lafayette*

Oct. 27 -- at Middle Tennessee*

Nov. 3 -- Arkansas State* (Homecoming)

Nov. 10 -- South Alabama*

Nov. 17 -- at Louisiana-Monroe*

Nov. 24 -- at Western Kentucky*

First off, UNT is going to Houston. UNT officials, Houston officials and just about everyone else said that the Mean Green would have to play the Cougars on the road this year.

No one seemed to believe it, or the fact that UNT would only have five home games this year.

Well, here it is in black and white.

Read more: http://meangreenblog.dentonrc.com/archives/2012/03/thoughts-on-unts-schedule-4.html

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

I agree. But now that you too have realized and filed a complaint on a message board concerning the ineptness that faces this program, are you going to mock yourself now?

Rick

How do you know I wasn't mocking you with my post?

Don't I mock myself enough already?

• Upvote 5

Who cares who we play

Outside of donors , fans/prospective fans , students , Alumni , recruits and casual football fans in the Denton area, I'd say not many.

Let's play fill in the blank :

My neighbor whom I've been trying to get to come to a game in Apogee - Hey Bob , how about this year ? We host _______ , u should come out.

My co workers whom I got to come to the IU game last year who tailgated & had a great time. Hey guys , let's tailgate this year for _______

Got an alumni friend whom I roomed with for a few years to come out to the Houston game last year... This year it will be , want to come see_______ ?

June Jones says to the big OL , Hey son , how about you come check out the campus and watch us play Texas a&m

Dennis Franchione says, hey we are hosting Tech Tech & Nevada. Come give us a look see

Rice is hosting UCLA , NMSU is hosting BYU , UTEP hosting OU , Monroe hosting Baylor,etc etc

This is a business , you have to keep the customers happy . Outside the 500-1,000 hardcore fans,u have to be able to sell the product. This schedule is epic fail from a business standpoint. You can't sell this to the casual fan. We will have much lower #'s this year.

Also , while I feel like bitchin , having LSU to start it off will not help. You schedule these types of games as late as possible. You want to catch them when they could care less. Try to do it in between conference games. Think ULM would have beaten Bama If that were the 1st game of the year? Playing a team to kick off the season you get their undivided attention. Starting off the season with a potential 40-7 type of score you get the people saying " same ol UNT" .On the flip side of that , we win & Apogee is near capacity vs Texas Southern

You don't build a badass stadium and in only it's 2nd year have a hard time fielding a schedule. Just my 2 cents.

GMG !!!

On a positive note , I think 7-5 is a real possibility

Edited by NT03
  • Upvote 2

Only 5 home games! Ricky, you have some 'splaining to do!

From the time we broke ground on the new stadium until now - we have had at least 2 years to make the 2012 schedule a really nice thing

for the mean green supporters that contribute the most to help it move up the food chain in the NCAA

- I just feel like we have been let down by this 5 home game stuff

- it is just like having Fouts Field

- don't see how this is moving us forward.

Our new coach will have a winning season but someone else and their stadium will get the attendance & money.

Ricky, you want to start 'splaining??

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

And if TFLF is correct, 5 home games again in 2014.

I would normally say plenty of time to get this changed, but, then again, that is what I said about this year.

And it didn't happen.

Not acceptable.

How come every other program, many in the Sun Belt are able to manage their schedule to ensure 6 home games EVERY year, often hosting a BSC team at home. Meanwhile, we get 5 home games and freaking Texas Southern as the only OOC in the 2nd year of a new stadium!

This is bad planning and bad scheduling, plain and simple. No, I am not trying to tell anyone how to do their job, but I am smart enough to recognoze when there is a major problem.

And this is a MAJOR problem.

• Upvote 3

And if TFLF is correct, 5 home games again in 2014.

I would normally say plenty of time to get this changed, but, then again, that is what I said about this year.

And it didn't happen.

Not acceptable.

How come every other program, many in the Sun Belt are able to manage their schedule to ensure 6 home games EVERY year, often hosting a BSC team at home. Meanwhile, we get 5 home games and freaking Texas Southern as the only OOC in the 2nd year of a new stadium!

This is bad planning and bad scheduling, plain and simple. No, I am not trying to tell anyone how to do their job, but I am smart enough to recognoze when there is a major problem.

And this is a MAJOR problem.

How do you see things so clearly - no rose colored glasses I guess- could not agree with you more!!

Five games I can live with. One of those five being a Tuesday, not so much. Football games are much more an event than basketball games. It's not very attractive for me to haul ass up from work at 90 miles an hour to make it to Apogee in time for kickoff with nary a single tailgate morsel in my belly. I hope the television contract pays well.

On the plus side, I definitely see 6 wins in this schedule.

5 home games is fine if we can win more games this year. The disappointing part for me is the wife and kids won't be able to make it to the weekday game. My daughters will want to go and be disappointed.

I shall be forced to go to this game and eat to much, drink to much, ect...

Oh yeah, almost forgot, take the day off work as well. (5 home games still sucks, the team will be tired from the travel)

• Upvote 1

5 home games is fine if we can win more games this year. The disappointing part for me is the wife and kids won't be able to make it to the weekday game. My daughters will want to go and be disappointed.

I shall be forced to go to this game and eat to much, drink to much, ect...

Oh yeah, almost forgot, take the day off work as well. (5 home games still sucks, the team will be tired from the travel)

Good for you- everyone needs time off - looks like our AD has been taking some time off too - hope your kids will not be too disappointed.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

It will be awesome when the seats still cost the same (or more) as a 6 game season and we replace houston and indiana with TS and SA.

Weekday football will never end unless people take a stand and refuse to watch it. I'll be taking the day off since half the point of the gameday experience is to tailgate but this sucks since I really don't get much vacation time with my job. I hate everything about this schedule.

Tuesday nights are for basketball.

• Upvote 2