2012 Mean Green Football Schedule

How do you sell and promote your program with such a weak home schedule?

Here's hoping we have an amazing night on October 16 with a great game that gets viewers attention, and a win. Because outside of that, we got very little to promote.

Rick

You sell and promote a program by results on the field.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 4

I too would have preferred six home games and a more attractive OOC opponent than Texas Southern. However, I do see some positives from this schedule. Getting a home game on ESPN or ESPN2 to show off our crown jewel of a stadium is great exposure for the program. That road game in Houston should be heavily attended by our fans. Without Case Keenum, some of their top receivers and a new coaching staff makes this a very competitive if not winnable game. If you have never gone to a game at MUTS or Western Kentucky you should as staying in Nashville with its downtown night life makes for a great road trip.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

I too would have preferred six home games and a more attractive OOC opponent than Texas Southern. However, I do see some positives from this schedule. Getting a home game on ESPN or ESPN2 to show off our crown jewel of a stadium is great exposure for the program. That road game in Houston should be heavily attended by our fans. Without Case Keenum, some of their top receivers and a new coaching staff makes this a very competitive if not winnable game. If you have never gone to a game at MUTS or Western Kentucky you should as staying in Nashville with its downtown night life makes for a great road trip.

I agree about the Houston game -- I think it's going to be a great turnout for us and I know there are a lot of alums in Houston that we can tap into as well. I really am looking forward to that game and a fun weekend in H-town.

That's a pretty tall order Harry. Hopefully we can win 2 of 3 against Troy, FAU, and Houston in addition to beating Texas Southern and go into the game with a 3-3 record.

I don't know... We should be able to get a lot of the dorm kids that usually go home over the weekends.

I think the oddity of the game being on a Tuesday + the national coverage will get a pretty good turn out, alost regardless of record.

• Upvote 1

I am more worried about getting a good sized crowd into the stadium. A Tuesday night game with hopefully a 7 PM kick-off won't be doing the program very many favors.

Right. Except getting us on National Television. You know, to remind people that we still play football at the Div 1A level in Denton!

• Upvote 1

I don't know... We should be able to get a lot of the dorm kids that usually go home over the weekends.

I think the oddity of the game being on a Tuesday + the national coverage will get a pretty good turn out, alost regardless of record.

I completely disagree. No way we get a good turnout compared to a Saturday.

• Upvote 1

We had the best of all worlds last year with Houston and Big Ten's Indiana visiting. This year, we seem a little short; but, there's sometimes little you can do:

(1) Everyone schedules games years in advance

(2) To ask out of a game, you have to: (a) pay cash, or (B) find another opponent for the school you are bailing on.

So, it's not as easy as just picking up the phone and saying, "Syracuse, do this for us."

In the best of all worlds, when it was realized OU and Syracuse had problems filling spaces, we should have gone to LSU and K-State and asked to push games to other years, or let us out if we can negotiate OU or Syracuse to take our game against you.

Now, this is far-fetched because you are asking OU and LSU to go on the road, and they are big boys who will get six or seven home game no matter what.

What we now know is that OU will go to UTEP. Will open on the road for the first time since 1997...at an non-AQ conference, non-traditional power school.

Look at LSU's first four games...all at home:

Sept 1 - North Texas

Sept 8 - Washington

Sept 15 - Idaho

Sept 29 - Towson State

Maybe we could have brokered a three way deal among us, LSU,and Syracuse with Syracuse coming here this year, and us going to LSU in 2014? Sorry we've already got @ Texas, SMU, @ Tulsa, @ Indiana in 2014.

See what I mean? Everyone is loaded up for years. One single move has many moving parts.

Syracuse is in such flux that they have a ton of space in 2014 and beyond. Kansas State has alot of space left in 2013 and beyond. So, could we have asked Kansas State to let us go this year and go there in 2013 instead, then ask Syracuse to come here?

Again, problems. We a full until about 2019... and filled with games we've wanted:

(1) SMU from 2014-2018

(2) Tulsa home and home, 2014 and 2015

(3) Iowa in 2015 and 2017

(4) Army series from 2016-2018

(5) SEC visits to Georgia (2013), Florida (2016), Arkansas (2018), and Tennessee (year unknown)

It's easy to say this or that should have been done. But, it takes a lot of work...and, sometimes, money as well, to change a schedule.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

http://www.fbschedules.com/ncaa/sun-belt/north-texas-mean-green.php

Sorry, there's the site I'm getting information from. Once you start clicking around you see the problem.

And, remember, SEC and Big 12 schools, because of realignment, are going to have three OOC games in the foreseeable future instead of four like they used to have. That factors into the difficulty of moving and switching as well.

To me, we've got many winnable game on the schedule this year. We do have outside shots against Houston and Kansas State. Probably not a prayer versus LSU.

This is a year where we should be happy that we have pretty favorable schedule in the continued development of the team under McCarney and Canales.

I'm actually pretty excited about the schedule. Sorry, again, but I'm just focused on winning more right now than trying to find a miraculous "cure" to the schedule.

• Upvote 1

I echo those thoughts. We have a weak, but winnable schedule and the nationally televised game should not be discounted...even if it is a Tuesday.

History says you're wrong.

10/4/2005 vs Troy. Nationally televised game. Still on the 26 game Sun Belt winning streak. Attendance: 17644. Uh Oh.

This 2012 schedule is as ugly as an old man's ball sack. Sorry, it's just pathetic. As TFLF elaborately pointed out, it is what it is. However, those of you clamoring for a "big" turnout at UH?...they've been selling out their games of late, and our fanbase is going to turn this game into a de-facto home game?? What are some of you on?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Well, yes...it definitely "is what it is" and it's done. So, what's a Mean Green fan to do now? Well, he can do what's in his power to do. Support the team the best way he can...not much else to be done now. Fretting over it and slashing one's wrist will do nothing but leave an ugly scar on one's wrist. So, we have five games at home...can't do anything about it and posting on message boards won't change it...so, for me...it's off to Apogee for five games this next season and hopefully a road trip or two depending upon schedules. When UNT registers that seventh win this next season perhaps the theory of "just win and they will turn out" will be proven correct.

I sure hope the Tuesday night game is well attended...hopefully, our students will turn out in force to help offset the out of town fans who may not be able to make it for a weekday game. This should be a game the local area, the City of Denton and the stuident body get behind to help drive attendance. Hey, could happen....

See you at Apogee for those five home games. Just win, baby, win!

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 4