Green Guys interview SBC Commisioner Karl Benson

Skipper

Green Gang: It has been well documented that North Texas was on your radar for WAC expansion over the past several years. What made North Texas attractive as a university and more specifically as an athletics department?

Benson: It goes all the way back to 1999, which was the first time that I was on the North Texas campus. I was on the campus a year ago at this time, trying to convince North Texas to come to the WAC. I've seen the new stadium, I've seen the unbelievable growth of the university. To look at the University of North Texas today and to see the 30,000-plus students, the new stadium, the commitment that starts at the top with President Rawlins, the fact that there has been continuity with Rick Villarreal, and the fact that it is 35 miles from Dallas and Ft. Worth, those are all components that make it attractive. As I said before, North Texas has been attractive to the WAC for the last 10 years and is currently on the radar for Conference USA. It is one of the premiere programs in the Sun Belt and I'm looking forward to finally being able to work with Rick and President Rawlins and the outstanding group of coaches that are there. Everyone always talks about "Who is the next Boise State" and I can honestly say why not North Texas?

Link to entire article

Good read.

I know some people on here aren't thrilled with Benson...but, if for whatever reason we remain in the Belt, I like the way he is thinking and the way he wants to aggressively grow the conference.

For those of you who have a negative opinion of him...why? He says things like this:

"Everyone always talks about "Who is the next Boise State" and I can honestly say why not North Texas?" :thumbsu:

• Upvote 1

Good read.

I know some people on here aren't thrilled with Benson...but, if for whatever reason we remain in the Belt, I like the way he is thinking and the way he wants to aggressively grow the conference.

For those of you who have a negative opinion of him...why? He says things like this:

"Everyone always talks about "Who is the next Boise State" and I can honestly say why not North Texas?" :thumbsu:

Yes, it seems that he has been very kind towards us.

Good read.

He sounds like a politician, saying what he thinks the "voters" want to hear.

I have no doubt that he will do what is best for the Sun Belt, but that is not necessarily what is best for North Texas. If the invitation to join the Alliance (sounds like Star Wars!) is offered, there should be no question about accepting it. Benson will undoubtedly do his job as commissioner and attempt to entice us not to leave - we need to have a deaf ear to his pleas.

If we don't get the invite, and we stay in the Sun Belt, then I expect we will find him to be a better commissioner than WW.

• Upvote 2

Yes, it seems that he has been very kind towards us.

Before you get all hot and bothered, he's used that same line on all the girls.

“I’ve been consistent in saying there isn’t any reason one of those five (remaining WAC) schools or perhaps a Texas State or Texas-San Antonio can’t become the next Boise State" - http://www.idahostatesman.com/2011/06/29/v-print/1709703/broncos-grateful-exit.html

“I’ve been consistent in saying there isn’t any reason one of those five (remaining WAC) schools or perhaps a Texas State or Texas-San Antonio can’t become the next Boise State" - http://www.idahostatesman.com/2011/06/29/v-print/1709703/broncos-grateful-exit.html

LOL...but he promised we were his first!!

"I've been consistent in saying there isn't any reason one of those five (remaining WAC) schools or perhaps a Texas State or Texas-San Antonio can't become the next Boise State" - http://www.idahostat...teful-exit.html

Yet Metroplex and well respected national sports media type Norm Hitzhges has said the very same thing with the "why not, North Texas" as the next Boise and Norm is not one to loosely throw such rose petals around. Most of us are all but tired of hearing the "potential" thing but want our school to go places its actually been before even back in the days when a totally unknown Boise State had a (no kiddin') truck driving school on its campus.

History? North Texas still has the (well beyond SBC/present day WAC level) history that even Boise State doesn't have beginning in the 1950's with a Sun Bowl team leading up till the day Hayden Fry left for the Big 10 but still..... we have been like Baylor U pre-Grant Teaff's arrival and TCU pre-Jim Wacker/Coach Fran's arrival and those 2 schools with much more eventful histories than ours stayed dormant for much too long, but "Wala!" bot schools finally, finallly, finally.......... "got it" and then bloomed.

Many of us on this board told the deaf ears of UNT leadership over 30 years ago how a new (non track) football stadium with updated ammenities would do wonders for Mean Green football and thus, the entire athletic program and who knows, may have prevented our almost 40 year walk in the wilderness which included too many years in 1-AA but.....that was yesterday and yesterday's gone.

History you say? http://www.youtube.c...h?v=GzlvY65vvQI

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen