Inside Info on Scotty Ryan Transfer

izembower

I work at a business where a lot of community workers (I.e. teachers) come into. Today, two Denton Ryan teachers came in. one of which taught Scotty Young. The other knows him "well". Both said that he is leaning more on UNT than anywhere else to transfer to. they both said that "he wants to come back home." this is the third time I've heard that Scotty "wants to come back home." The first time was a year ago from his grandfather in the athletic office.

this kid could be a game changer. let's cross our fingers that these teachers were right.

Edited by izembower
  • Upvote 3

I think Scotty in a UNT uniform would bring out a few more hundred fans

I think he would be a great add, and provide solid competition for DT. I am not sure if he can overtake DT as a starter (if DT does well this year), but would be a solid backup and started for the year after DT graduates.

• Upvote 2

Didn't we all expect Riley's local celebrity to bring fans to Denton?

It certainly did create interest, and although pretty much impossible to measure, I would imagine there were additional fans in the seats because of Riley. No doubt people of Southlake were talking about UNT football more while Riley was our QB than at any time before or since.

But we are talking about a Denton school, and getting the people of Denton interested in UNT football. That could be huge for the long-term success of the program.

• Upvote 3

Come on now, some of you guys are much too young to be so cynical.

Hell, what other school's alums/fans would bitch about the prospects of having a 4 star Rivals QB prospect transfer in and bitch about how many freakin' fans they would bring because of it? I don't recall seeing any kind of formula in my 45 years of following NCAA football that says what kind of recruit or transfer will bring in X number of fans in the first place. FWIW, some make it in college football and some do not, but lets give all a chance to make it especially since we've had few 4 star transfers of late who've come to UNT; albeit we have 2 who just transferred in who will be elgible this Fall.

And let's also hope we have a coach who can stay in Denton several years and be so good that he leaves for a Big 10 (or 12) job with more wins than losses. I think we have that man in Coach McCarney plus....... a Rivals 4 star QB transfer who might come home with a new lease on his football life and that will not be a bad beginning for what it seems some recent indicators say will be a new conference home for North Texas beginning in 2013---which just happens to be the football season that Scotty Young would be elgible if he doesn't get "cynical'ed out of town first by a few on a message board.

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

I would love to see Young transfer in, but I don't how much of an attendance boost this will provide considering the stands are rarely full for Ryan High games. As successful as that program has become, Denton doesn't fill the stands for them.

Competition wise, I was really pleased with Thompson's improvement last year and am excited to see what he does this year after a year starting and a year in the off-season program. Young will provide competition, and you never avoid the chance to add a 4 star player that threw for 64 TD's his senior year of high school, but he will be rusty. Love the added competition and the fact that we would have DT, Osborn, Jones and Young under center. That is great depth.