Confrence USA visitied Apogee over the Weekend

LakeTravis

For those wondering, the events of this week involving the merger of Conference USA and the Mountain West Conference have not gone unnoticed at North Texas.

The athletic director of Tulane was in the DFW area last week touring four stadiums: TCU, American Airlines Center, the Dallas Cowboys Stadium, and Apogee Stadium. Also in the group was a representative from Conference USA.

Pykes Peek Link

Safe to say now they are interested, just have to sweat it out and hopefully before Karl Benson takes advantage of us.

Edited by LakeTravis
  • Upvote 4

For those wondering, the events of this week involving the merger of Conference USA and the Mountain West Conference have not gone unnoticed at North Texas.

The athletic director of Tulane was in the DFW area last week touring four stadiums: TCU, American Airlines Center, the Dallas Cowboys Stadium, and Apogee Stadium. Also in the group was a representative from Conference USA.

Pykes Peek Link

Safe to say now they are interested, just have to sweat it out and hopefully before Karl Benson takes advantage of us.

I refuse to let the theme of this thread excite me one iota .:no:

:money:

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Pykes Peek Link

Simple yet Telling :goodjob:

• Upvote 1

While this is encouraging news, I can't say I'm as excited about joining the MWC, CUSA or MWUSAC as I once was...not even close.

Why? Is it because SMU and UH left? Increased travel from the SBC? I just think that we would never have had a chance to be in that Alliance if SMU was still there and I am going to bet that this new conference will be travel-friendly to each of its members.

• Upvote 2

While this is encouraging news, I can't say I'm as excited about joining the MWC, CUSA or MWUSAC as I once was...not even close.

I partly agree, but the upside of CUSA/MWC membership is going to Houston, Rice U and Rice Stadium every other year (our Gulf Coast recruiting will be dramatically enhanced); think of going to Tulane U and New Orleans every other year (while continuing to think state of Louisiana recruiting which we've been known to do more often than not); think of re-newing a conference rivalry with Tulsa U (while we try to figure out a way of beating those 'Canes); but also think of having many (not all) CUSA/MWC schools opponent's fans showing up at Apogee Stadium on Game Day because a large number of them live and work in the North Texas Metroplex and can probably get to Apogee Stadium in less than 30-60 minutes.

The upside of joining this consortium of schools is beyond remarkable .

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 3

I partly agree, but the upside of CUSA/MWC membership is going to Houston, Rice U and Rice Stadium every other year (our Gulf Coast recruiting will be dramatically enhanced); think of going to Tulane U and New Orleans every other year (while continuing to think state of Louisiana recruiting which we've been known to do more often than not); think of re-newing a conference rivalry with Tulsa U (while we try to figure out a way of beating those 'Canes); but also think of having many (not all) CUSA/MWC schools opponent's fans showing up at Apogee Stadium on Game Day because a large number of them live and work in the North Texas Metroplex and can probably get to Apogee Stadium in less than 30-60 minutes.

The upside of joining this consortium of schools is beyond remarkable .

GMG!

I have to agree. Being in a conference with Rice, Tulane and Tulsa is good to me. Gives us exposure and publicity in key recruiting areas and good road trips as well.

• Upvote 1

Ok, let me clarify my previous statement. I'm not opposed to joining a MWC/CUSA merger, I'm just not as thrilled about the idea as I once was. The many defections suffered by both the MWC and CUSA have resulted in a much weaker group of programs. It's, arguably, still a better place than the current SBC.

Ok, let me clarify my previous statement. I'm not opposed to joining a MWC/CUSA merger, I'm just not as thrilled about the idea as I once was. The many defections suffered by both the MWC and CUSA have resulted in a much weaker group of programs. It's, arguably, still a better place than the current SBC.

I get your point.

I don't believe the money difference is going to be significant. CUSA with UH and SMU along with Tulsa and Rice was far more attractive.

The overall merged league isn't spell-binding, and is actually a bit puzzling considering that the remaining MWC schools rated below the Sun Belt (and remaining WAC not counting TxSt and UTSA) in the BCS standings this year.

I've got the same feeling if ASU pops out as a dark horse. Nice to be with Tulsa and USM but losing Memphis really took the shine off.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1