UNT's Overtime Hero Against Denver

Harry

Alzee Williams thought he was about to watch the game-winning shot drop through the net Saturday as the final seconds ticked off the clock at the Super Pit.

Williams ended up being the hero instead.

The sophomore guard rushed toward the basket as Roger Franklin’s jumper headed toward the rim, saw the ball bounce long and tipped it into the net at the buzzer to give UNT a 75-74 overtime win and a huge boost of confidence at a time when nothing seems to be going right for the Mean Green.

UNT was playing its first regular-season game without Chris Jones and Jordan Williams, a pair of key freshmen who are not academically eligible for the spring semester.

UNT (12-8, 5-2 Sun Belt) was already without starting forward Kedrick Hogans and key backup Jacob Holmen, who are out with injuries.

UNT easily could have folded but snuck out with the win — appropriately enough on Alzee Williams poster night.

http://www.dentonrc.com/sharedcontent/dws/drc/sports/stories/DRC_untmen_0122.3ff06981b.html

---Some just think the rules didn't apply to them because they are a "valuable" athlete. My wife has one in her class now [ high school ].. I am glad UNT enforces the rules and doesn't just hand out grades to them. Credits and degrees should mean something.. We all know and read about colleges that do all sorts of "illegal" things to keep them playing.

• Upvote 1

Wow we won? I was in the Houston area this weekend and the crappy Houston Chronicle had us as four point losers. Big win!

I'm surprised that the Chronic-Ill had a score at all - that's one of the reasons that I no longer subscribe (there's plenty of others). Even if we're playing UH or Rice, it's hard to find a story, so it's the last place I would think of looking.