Your Ideal Conference

shaft

The old Southwest Conference plus Oklahoma, Oklahoma State and North Texas.

Put me down for one of those if we're floating on clouds.

Back down on Earth, I'd choose something closer to oldguystudents' original list:

Nevada (or UNLV, but not both)

Tulsa

Houston

Southern Miss

Memphis

LaLa (or Tulane, but not both)

LaTech

UTEP

NMSU (risky b/c of budget, but games against them were ALWAYS great--bball & fball)

UNT

No SMU, but they should be forced to play us OOC only when we are good and they are down---you know, kinda the opposite of how it's gone historically.

If we must go to 12, then I'd include Colorado St and either TSU or UTSA.

This post has been promoted to an article

The Great Southwestern Conference

East

UNT

Houston

Rice

Tulsa

ULL

Arkansas State

West

UTEP

New Mexico

New Mexico State

Colorado State

Air Force

TCU (more of a pipe dream)

Play TCU every year in football at the Cotton Bowl, rotate the championship game between Cotton Bowl, Sun Bowl, and maybe Reliant.

Edited by Coffee and TV

KEY PLAYERS TO MAKE THIS HAPPEN:

If the Alliance stands pat with their present membership, U of North Texas System officials, Lane Rawlines and AD Rick V should get with Rice and Tulsa's top leaders to initially gauge their interest in this message board projected new league I've listed below (lettting those 2 schools even tweak its projected member's schools if they so want) and if by luck those 2 schools were interested, ask them to take the lead in trying to get this league formed with our more than willing assistance. (I know, this just among thousands of another message board conference projections or pipe dream, but just "what if" Rice and Tulsa U were interested in all this and they even put in a call to fellow private Tulane to see if they would be, too)?

IMO, the Alliance will just have too many egos in it to make it work longterm (just like the WAC 16 did not work because of the egos that were beginning to make noises in that league). I don't think Rice and Tulsa alums/fans liked their experience in a 16 school league at all. North Texas is just going to have to start thinking outside the box on some of these things as to improve our future in the NCAA; that is, if the Alliance is not part of our future but........the Alliance already has problems such as....

...it is too regionally divided by the map and even by (seemed) philosophy of how the Alliance should ultimately be and what seems to me with its eastern schools who seem to me to be acting like they are the majority (instead of the minority that they are). ECU is looked down upon by the Big East or they would be in the Big East, so its the old NCAA pecking order M.O. still in play and being North Texas we should know more than any school how that works.

Hellsbells, the Eastern Seaboard/Southeastern schools like ECU and Marshall are kicking aorund names like ODU, Georgia State, App. State and some FCS schools to put in "their" Alliance and most their suggested expansion schools have no more name appeal than most schools down here do to them. (Are you going to stand in line at G. Ford Stadium to get those SMU/UConn tickets)?:rolleyes: .

Why ECU and Marshall don't take all their suggested Alliance schools and form their own regional league is beyond me. They would have the basketball schools to regain their basketball "points?" that forming a new league would initially make them lose.

The Non-Alliance Conference (in 3 time zones instead of 5 like the projected Alliance will be and........with revelant or non-revelant comments by each school

(1) UTSA......located in 3'rd largest city in Texas--let their program rise with the rest of ours in this new league; like it or not, SA is Texas best tourist destination city and Pee Wee Herman's bicycle is still hidden in the basement at the Alamo.:blink:

(2) Rice U (located in the largest city in Texas and may not want to join a 18, 20 or 24 school conference (again).

(3) NMSU......Why not? We have a good rivaly with these Aggies. Best damn game I ever saw at Fouts Field since 1973 was the game we won that made us host team at the first annual New Orleans Bowl

(4) Ark State......Any league that has ArksStFan in it has the inside of whats going on, what can be expected to happen and so forth; albeit I don't agree with all his predictions at times; their football program is doing great now in its present win cycle.

(5) La Tech......How much is that "Dawgie" in the window? A great Patti Page hit from the 50's inspired (I'm sure) by the Ruston-based school :rolleyes: . Also on LTU's behalf, his league will "not" have the 2 words Sun or Belt in it, so LTU just might be interested. Seriously, they are a good small market program who like North Texas is prone to having a good season or 2 then several not so good seasons following.

(6) ULouisiana......On top now; they are a program that I don't understand why has not gone up to the next level like every other school UNT used to be in bed has.

(7) Tusla U......Like Rice U, they may not want to go through the equivalency of a WAC 16 type of conference again and maybe in this league we can figure out a way to beat the 'Canes

(8) North Texas......for all the obvious reasons. One should only take a walk in our Mean Green Village to see what our financial commttment actually is to NCAA FBS level athletics. We are also becoming a school where blueprints don't stay on the table too long and collect dust.

(9) Another SBC school?

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Downvote 5

The Outer Continental Shelf of the Gulf of Mexico Conference (OCSGMC)

1. Rice

2. Spinach (Tulane)

3. The University of Texas at El Paso

4. New Mexico State University

5. Old Mexico State University (the one in Albuquerque)

4. Texas State University

5. UNT (that's us!)

6. Louisiana

7. Louisiana Tech

8. ULM

9. Quasimodo (Tulsa)

10. Arkansas State

The Outer Continental Shelf of the Gulf of Mexico Conference (OCSGMC)

1. Rice

2. Spinach (Tulane)

3. The University of Texas at El Paso

4. New Mexico State University

5. Old Mexico State University (the one in Albuquerque)

4. Texas State University

5. UNT (that's us!)

6. Louisiana

7. Louisiana Tech

8. ULM

9. Quasimodo (Tulsa)

10. Arkansas State

I'd replace ULM with UTSA and replace Laffyette with Southern Miss.