Breaking news -- Chris Jones, Jordan Williams ineligible

Brett Vito

Who is still a student in good standing at UT-Dallas, last I heard.

I'll be pretty surprised if that guy doesn't end up with a college degree.

Choosing between UNT sports and Celebrity Wife Swap must have been very difficult for you last night.

• Upvote 2

I understand your feelings, but these kids are not regular freshmen. They are receiving the gift of a free college education and should have all the help in the world to get through their 1st semester. Beyond that, they have additional responsibilities of being a member of a team. Not responsibilities to fans, but responsibilities to their other teammates. A responsibility to Ked Hogans, who has literally sacraficed his body for this program. A responsibility to Alzee Williams, who stayed eligible through HIS 1st year of college and managed to add about 20 pounds of muscle while making grades. A responsibility to Holman, who also has suffered through injuries while inproving his game and making his grades.

Moreover, they also have a responsibilty to those who came before them. A responsibility to Josh White and George Odufuwa, who went a long way to making this a place that Jordan and Chris wanted to come. A responsibility to Calvin Watkins, Ben Bell, and the other members of that 2007 squad that got the first bid to the tourney since 1988.

I don't think they thought about this for one second of their first semester. I hope this is all they think about while they try and get their grades back up in the Spring. If they even stay at UNT (I hope they do).

This post I feel brought up a point overlooked. They owe it to the teams before them that stayed eligible for their NCAA runs.

On another note, I've seen a few comments about their Twitter accounts. I followed them as well- and I certainly remember thinking that the Tweets showed signs concern. I don't know what to make of it... Just wondering why the Twitter topic hasn't been talked about a bit more.

• Upvote 1

Thats true but then why are we wasting money paying people to help and quide them in their academics? What responsiblity do they have? Were they qualified? I think this is a lot bigger than some may think.

I think that all of us are in emoitional shock over what the loss of those two players and how that loss will affect the teams chances to make a huge statement than asking themselves as donors what the hell is going on in some of those offices at the Athletic Center.

Huge BLACK EYE for this Athletic Department and consequently the University of North Texas, the fans and even moreso the men's basketball program.

Just the truth.

I see your point to some degree. My wife used to be a tutor at the athletic center and helped kids like Riley, Harold Stewart, Craig Robertson, etc... she's wicked smart and qualified, like the rest of the tutors there. Her biggest challenges working with SOME of the student athletes was them not attending class or unwrapping the text books (if new), much less reading them. The players have all the resouces they need to be successful. They just don't have other people taking their tests or attending class on their behalf...which I guess these players needed.

• Upvote 5

"They just don't have other people taking their tests or attending class on their behalf..."

Well that's the problem in a nutshell! Can't we just find someone from UNC or someplace similar to show us how its done??

There is no place similar to UNC-CHeat and you can be sure they won't share their secrets.

I give these two boys a pass. North Texas women will do that to you.

Therein lies part of the problem here in that they have had passes probably for most of their high school careers. Being a stud athlete has its perks, but somebody has to get a grip on these guys at some point. If this happened next year, would it be passed off as sophmore blues? My point is that while there is an adjustment to college life for most students, athletes have to be held to a higher standard. So that line in the sand has to be drawn a lot sooner with guys (and gals) like this.

• Upvote 2

Three cheers for a university that doesn't pressure professors to pass the annointed and doesn't send in rent-a-nerds in disguises to take their tests for them.

Three cheers for integrity.

Agreed.

They are called "Student Athlete" and not "Athlete Student" for a reason.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Ok tasty, I am going to clarify some things. And you know what I used to do, so you should know that I know what I am talking about. First of all, there isn't a sole basketball person. Only football has one advisor. Now please remember that this is in addition to their actual academic advisor, who may also meet with them, especially if they are reported by their professors. There is an athletics advisor that has responsibility for a set of athletes. Football has someone that does just football, but hey there are 85 scholarship athletes in that portfolio. There are required study hours and required attendance for classes. You miss, they find out and you get your ass handed to you by coaches. Sstaff and coaches randomly show up and check attendance. Please note that the academic staff reports to the coaches and the coaches handle discipline. Academic advisors don't make kids run laps for skipping math.

The advisors oversee study hall and check on the athletes constantly. They also help them schedule season appropriate (ie. football players don't try out calculus and organic chemistry during the season if possible). So very likely the advisors had them taking freshman english, history, something in their major at a 1000 level, and a couple other basics. And they had semester long updates on the kids. If they struggled, they were assigned tutors. If they skipped or did not turn in work, they told the coaches.

I am not saying the academic staff did everything perfectly here, but I know in general how they do things. If these kids failed, it wasn't because they were not monitored. It was because they did not get it done or were not ready for college. Fact.

Check your PM. I have oodles of questions, and a fondness for double vowels to begin a word.

I'm divided between fear and confusion. I call it... fearfusion.

Agreed.

They are called "Student Athlete" and not "Athlete Student" for a reason.

Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored. The job of formal methods is to elucidate the assumptions upon which formal correctness depends.

You can't escape the responsibility of tomorrow by evading it today.

A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.

• Upvote 1

Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored. The job of formal methods is to elucidate the assumptions upon which formal correctness depends.

A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.

Bravo! :goodjob:

All good quotes.

Aldous Huxley

Tony Hoare

Abe Lincoln

Chapter 12.

Did you throw these together on your own, or is this mish-mash from another source like a movie?

Edited by greenminer

All good quotes.

Aldous Huxley

Tony Hoare

Abe Lincoln

Chapter 12.

Did you throw these together on your own, or is this mish-mash from another source like a movie?

Good eye – these are quotes – don’t watch movies any more -they just came to mind after reading this post last night.

I am ready to see how we do against Denver this Sat. – this will be a very good game to watch.

Keep on reading the classics.

Edited by Roadruner

All athletes, scholarship or not, have continual progress reports throughout the semester. This failing grade shouldnt have caught either the boys or the coaches by surprise. Each athlete also has unlimited resources ad access to tutors and academic coaches to keep them on track. at th end of the day the boys have to do the work to pass the class.

All athletes, scholarship or not, have continual progress reports throughout the semester. This failing grade shouldnt have caught either the boys or the coaches by surprise. Each athlete also has unlimited resources ad access to tutors and academic coaches to keep them on track. at th end of the day the boys have to do the work to pass the class.

welcome tot he board!!!!

Where are Sportsguy1 and Sportsguy2?

• Upvote 2

Any one else concerned that the absence of these two fine scores means that Tony has to play more and score more, thereby increasing the chances his draft stock goes up and he leaves sooner? If he leaves after this year, I think this could be a part of it. It would suck to lose him after a half season only. It would be even worse with these two can't get their heads into school and play next year.

You could be right buddy. I have been dwelling on his inevitable increase in stats since the news of the suspension broke. We need to start looking for another stud soon cause Tony is making giant waves

well both Jones and Jordan reactivated Twitter. Jones isn't posting but Jordan sure is "sad af i aint got no followers i aint neva deactivating my (censured) again".

Some folks just don't learn

I see Jordan's account is protected now. I am not sure when that happened?

CJ tweeted last night for the first time in a week:

Team got the win, soooooo happy.! New beginning

• Upvote 1