Breaking news -- Chris Jones, Jordan Williams ineligible

Brett Vito

Not sure if this is ok to share or if it makes a difference. i had a class last semester that had both Chris Jones and Jordan Williams in it. They were there every single day, although they would usually jack around and talk through the whole class but hell, who doesn't sometimes. I'll just say this: the class we all had together, NO ONE should fail it. You would almost have to try to fail it.

This is all on them. No excuses. They had the resources to get it done and they didnt. I mean honestly its pathetic. Do they also need their mommys after they are done using the restroom? They not only let down themselves but also the coaches, team mates, fans, and must importantly the image of the school. I wish I got a free education, I promise I wouldnt have given the slap in the face to the university that they delievered.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

This is all on them. No excuses. They had the resources to get it done and they didnt. I mean honestly its pathetic. Do they also need their mommys after they are done using the restroom? They not only let down themselves but also the coaches, team mates, fans, and must importantly the image of the school. I wish I got a free education, I promise I wouldnt have given the slap in the face to the university that they delievered.

I know some people who have been on scholarship that would 100% agree with you...

They will have to earn the right to come back in play (if they wish too... and the team wishes them too)

Thats money the AD could have spent on something else... salaries, grants, etc... but it was squandered

Not trying to be to harsh here... but people worked hard for that money

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

How could this happen? Either the school has no oversight over it's basketball athletes or chose to ignore their poor academic performance. If the school had been monitoring their class work, why were they allowed to continue not only to play but mostly start. NT had Mitchell's grades almost immediately after classes ended but didn't know the situation with Jones and J. Williams until the start of the next semester. If they know why did they continue to play them and not get the team ready for their absence.

I really don't know how Jones, RV or whoever pretends to be academic advisers could allow this to happen. I certainly can understand freshmen not making their grades, but I can't understand how a coaching staff and administration could handle this any worse.

Some of our Football players that are currently eligible played basketball in high school – they should have been asked for help – I know we have some players from small towns like Krum that are currently attending here that could try out for a walk on - now we have 9 players - we need 10 just to practice – remember the same problem last year

– I agree what was said earlier about what the players have to do to get passing grades – if they really care they can get the help they need

What went wrong – you have to start at the top – if it is not being handled there then it’s slipping all the way down the line.

• Upvote 1

I'm on the iPad but I wanted to copy and paste the stat for my 3 point shooting thread... Mitchel is at 78 percent from three and Walton is number 5 in the conference from down town... Interesting stat actually. Maybe we get hot from deep with Forrest, niko, Walton and Tony

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

YES.

These guys were our bright future yesterday. They're still at North Texas, and working to get eligible again next year.

As painful and frustrating as this is, personal attacks or defaming of scholarship athletes will be dealt with aggressively and mercilessly.

You may need to ban me now for the things I'm thinking about these two right now... *&)*(&%*&%$&^$%$*&^*())&^!

• Upvote 3

Some of our Football players that are currently eligible played basketball in high school – they should have been asked for help – I know we have some players from small towns like Krum that are currently attending here that could try out for a walk on - now we have 9 players - we need 10 just to practice – remember the same problem last year

– I agree what was said earlier about what the players have to do to get passing grades – if they really care they can get the help they need

What went wrong – you have to start at the top – if it is not being handled there then it’s slipping all the way down the line.

Tasty knows the rules better, but I believe they can still practice. If they can practice I hope coach Jones runs them ragged.

BTW they have to have a 2.0 not a 1.8 to play... If you dont maintain a 2.0 for 2 semesters you will be kicked out of school for min 1 semester... I know this from athletes and from the fraternity, guys have had 1.0 in there first semester and then would have to have a min. overall 2.0 to stay after one year.

OMG, I just um :sick: wish this was all a bad dream and I am so glad I didn't see this last night.

Chris 'Mother F-ing' Jones was fast becoming our favorite player (he will be our favorite again next season :ninja: ), this just makes me so sad and I just don't see how there is any real hope for this season now. I thought we were hosed when UTA blew us out of the 'gym', then I started to get a feeling that there might be hope yet for 20 wins and a Sun Belt title. Now it looks like we needn't worry about going to Hot Springs or traveling to a NCAA game.

JJ and staff stub their toes with players sometimes, but I don't recall anything like this. How does Tony's example not teach these guys a lesson? Tony caught some bad breaks and instead of kwitting or b!tching he put his head down and just did the work. I think it's inspiring, how can they not?

WOW..really bad news and as expected people just want to jump to conclusions that they have no way of supporting with any facts...I've read "epic fail" on the part of the AD, "how could they not know?", ridiculous comments like ignoring everyone else to focus on T Mitchell and on and on.

So, please tell me how you know that the academic support staff was not working diligently with both these guys? Academic support personnel can only do so much...they cannot go to class for these guys, they cannot make sure all assignments are actually completed and turned in by the student, they cannot take the tests for the students...and they cannot spend every waking moment with these guys. There is just somethings that a person must set as a priority for themselves and do what it takes to make it happen. The fact these kids even needed academic tutors says something to me about the preparation they received in HS and the "special treatment" as athletes that they may have received in the classroom.

I do not know the facts here...they have not been reported by the university and should not be reported for the sake of privacy. I think there is probably a bit of "blame" for everyone involved in this matter, but bottom line to me is that these players are 100% responsible for their own academic progress...just like any other student enrolled at UNT. The fact that they receive academic tutoring as part of their program is a bonus and, as such, should insure that they pass.

But, also, like several more "calm" heads have indicated, its good that this happened in the first semester of their freshman years. If they take care of business, and T Mitch himself just might help make that happen, they will help guide UNT for several years to come. It might even "bleed off" on some of the other players who are on the "margin" as far as grades are concerned. By sitting on the bench and knowing they have let their team down, the lesson will more than likely be learned.

All is not lost. This might just be the catalyst that helps Tony Mitchell shine and simply take over a game knowing more is on his very capable shoulders now to be a leader of this team. It will also allow other players to step up and fill that void...perhaps even seeing progress that would not have come without the extra playing time.

I don't like this one little bit...it's bad...no way it should have happened, these kids made a mistake and they will pay the price, as will UNT and its fans and students. But, UNT still has a season to play and the sun will definitely come up this morning. I feel bad for these two young men, the team, the staff and the alums and fans. I wish them nothing but success in getting their academics back in order, and I look forward to seeing them on the court next season.

Wow...bad news. Hopefully, lesson learned!

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 2

I woke up this morning with this thought:

This is the most cursed NCAA sports program in America. What deep-seeded issues do I have that keeps me following and investing in something that so routinely disappoints. I had a really good childhood. Really.

Maybe a little overkill, but if there was ever a morning for it, this is it.

• Upvote 5

WOW..really bad news and as expected people just want to jump to conclusions that they have no way of supporting with any facts...I've read "epic fail" on the part of the AD, "how could they not know?", ridiculous comments like ignoring everyone else to focus on T Mitchell and on and on.

So, please tell me how you know that the academic support staff was not working diligently with both these guys? Academic support personnel can only do so much...they cannot go to class for these guys, they cannot make sure all assignments are actually completed and turned in by the student, they cannot take the tests for the students...and they cannot spend every waking moment with these guys. There is just somethings that a person must set as a priority for themselves and do what it takes to make it happen. The fact these kids even needed academic tutors says something to me about the preparation they received in HS and the "special treatment" as athletes that they may have received in the classroom.

I do not know the facts here...they have not been reported by the university and should not be reported for the sake of privacy. I think there is probably a bit of "blame" for everyone involved in this matter, but bottom line to me is that these players are 100% responsible for their own academic progress...just like any other student enrolled at UNT. The fact that they receive academic tutoring as part of their program is a bonus and, as such, should insure that they pass.

But, also, like several more "calm" heads have indicated, its good that this happened in the first semester of their freshman years. If they take care of business, and T Mitch himself just might help make that happen, they will help guide UNT for several years to come. It might even "bleed off" on some of the other players who are on the "margin" as far as grades are concerned. By sitting on the bench and knowing they have let their team down, the lesson will more than likely be learned.

All is not lost. This might just be the catalyst that helps Tony Mitchell shine and simply take over a game knowing more is on his very capable shoulders now to be a leader of this team. It will also allow other players to step up and fill that void...perhaps even seeing progress that would not have come without the extra playing time.

I don't like this one little bit...it's bad...no way it should have happened, these kids made a mistake and they will pay the price, as will UNT and its fans and students. But, UNT still has a season to play and the sun will definitely come up this morning. I feel bad for these two young men, the team, the staff and the alums and fans. I wish them nothing but success in getting their academics back in order, and I look forward to seeing them on the court next season.

Wow...bad news. Hopefully, lesson learned!

This! +1,000

I'm sure the basic Freshman classes weren't too difficult (assuming here since mine, back in the day, were basically the same as my Junior and Senior year of High School). The coaches, RV, or the staff at the athletic academic center cannot go to class for the players. It's the players' job and they didn't make it. I truly hope sitting out will help them get focused for a bright future with this program and later in life.

This! +1,000

I'm sure the basic Freshman classes weren't too difficult (assuming here since mine, back in the day, were basically the same as my Junior and Senior year of High School). The coaches, RV, or the staff at the athletic academic center cannot go to class for the players. It's the players' job and they didn't make it. I truly hope sitting out will help them get focused for a bright future with this program and later in life.

Thats true but then why are we wasting money paying people to help and quide them in their academics? What responsiblity do they have? Were they qualified? I think this is a lot bigger than some may think.

I think that all of us are in emoitional shock over what the loss of those two players and how that loss will affect the teams chances to make a huge statement than asking themselves as donors what the hell is going on in some of those offices at the Athletic Center.

Huge BLACK EYE for this Athletic Department and consequently the University of North Texas, the fans and even moreso the men's basketball program.

Just the truth.

Edited by meangreenbob
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

I'll bet that a certain :ph34r: board is ablaze this morning blaming everyone EXCEPT the students themselevs for this.....I dare not even look.....:phew:

Well to be honest in your eyes it is all the students fault while defending the administration to the hilt, so I guess everyone just needs to find common ground.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 3

Hold on... I just lowered my North Texas Flag to half staff.

As a teacher that needs my students to be academically eligible- this just kills me. These guys have everything at their disposal. From tutors to the clout of being a Star Athlete. This is really too bad.

Part of me hopes T Mitch just scores 45 a game from here on out. But seriously, he is going to need to really be Superman from here on out. Although, if he really was Superman, he would reverse the spin of the earth, go back in time, and get Willians and Jones to PASS THEIR CLASSES!

Part of me sees the season tanking... 20 wins is now but a distant dream.

And the largest part of me lives in fear of what will happen next year.