Breaking news -- Chris Jones, Jordan Williams ineligible

Brett Vito

Chris Jones and Jordan Williams, two key members of North Texas' highly rated freshman class who have started most of the season, did not meet academic eligibility requirements in the first semester of the school year and will not play for the Mean Green the remainder of the season, head coach Johnny Jones confirmed on Tuesday.

Both Jones and Williams will remain with the team and work to regain their eligibility heading into next season.

Click here to read more: http://meangreenblog.dentonrc.com/archives/2012/01/breaking-news----jordan-willia.html

This post has been promoted to an article

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Mother of bear

What a shame, and as much as it hurts them and this team, atleast this is happening their freshman year, and not later on down the line. Now they'll know what will happen if they don't make the grades. I just hope they can correct the problem and come back next season. It would be devistating to lose them permanently.

• Upvote 3

While this HURTS just try and remember that these guys read the board and don't need any extra pain rubbed into the situation. Try and abstain from any negative comments and keep things positive for these guys so that they can get back on track and become better students.

YES.

These guys were our bright future yesterday. They're still at North Texas, and working to get eligible again next year.

As painful and frustrating as this is, personal attacks or defaming of scholarship athletes will be dealt with aggressively and mercilessly.

Jones is the killer. This thing coulda got by without Williams. Frankly, I expected more from the starting point guard, who is, by default, in a leadership position.

Hopefully they both, but particulary Jones, learns from this. There are many ways to let your teammates down, and this is one of the biggest ways.

You would think they would have learned something from Mitchell's situation.

Extremely disappointed in both.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 3

While there is certainly something to be said for personal responsibility, I think much of the blame falls on the epic fail and lack of oversight from the Athletic Department.

We have people employed whose WHOLE FREAKIN JOB is working with these kids to keep them eligible and make sure they make their grades. These kids are obvilously not dumb, but they are freshman in college. They should have had someone looking over their shoulder the entire time.

Edited by Mean Green Matt
  • Upvote 5
  • Downvote 3

While there is certainly something to be said for personal responsibility, I think much of the blame falls on the epic fail and lack of oversight from the Athletic Department.

We have people employed whose WHOLE FREAKIN JOB is working with these kids to keep them eligible and make sure they make their grades. These kids are obvilously not dumb, but they are freshman in college. They should have had someone looking over their shoulder the entire time.

Bingo. I have thought, for some time, that our compliance people are woefully short in meeting their responsibilities. Was so much time spent getting Tony eligible that you forgot you had MULTIPLE other freshmen on this team? Aren't we dealing with an academic casualty every freakin year in football, basketball or both?! Academic problems at the semester are present at the quarter...catch them early and they can be fixed.

Now, as to our squad going forward. We have the talent on this team to continue to be competitive. Nobody in this league comes close to Tony's talent. Trey Norris wasn't highly regarded because of a lack of ability...the kid can play. Yes, this hurts. Let's just remember that there is still a season to finish and the remaining players will be out there every night trying to finish it strong. They deserve as much from us. See you ALL next Saturday. Stop by the tailgate!!

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

Bingo. I have thought, for some time, that our compliance people are woefully short in meeting their responsibilities. Was so much time spent getting Tony eligible that you forgot you had MULTIPLE other freshmen on this team? Aren't we dealing with an academic casualty every freakin year in football, basketball or both?! Academic problems at the semester are present at the quarter...catch them early and they can be fixed.

Now, as to our squad going forward. We have the talent on this team to continue to be competitive. Nobody in this league comes close to Tony's talent. Trey Norris wasn't highly regarded because of a lack of ability...the kid can play. Yes, this hurts. Let's just remember that there is still a season to finish and the remaining players will be out there every night trying to finish it strong. They deserve as much from us. See you ALL next Saturday. Stop by the tailgate!!

Bingo x2

Great post Emmitt. You hit the nail on the head!

Agreed. It is going to be much, much harder now, but especially with Tony on the floor, I think we can beat anyone in the Sun Belt on any given night. If we can somehow muster a bye for Hot Springs that would be awesome, but it is going to be very difficult.

• Upvote 1

Bingo, bango!

• Upvote 3

The tough part is they knew this was coming! My friend coached in college and he said that they knew a few weeks beforehand but players are allowed to play. He said he and the rest of the coaching staff would draw heat at his school from these events. Its hard because the AD could look at this as money that could have gone elsewhere. He said when he was coaching back in the day that's what he was chewed out about. Its a very tough loss but like Emmit said we still have a season and next year we will hopefully get these great young athletes back! Along side the man, the legend... Tony Mitchell!!!

How could this happen? Either the school has no oversight over it's basketball athletes or chose to ignore their poor academic performance. If the school had been monitoring their class work, why were they allowed to continue not only to play but mostly start. NT had Mitchell's grades almost immediately after classes ended but didn't know the situation with Jones and J. Williams until the start of the next semester. If they know why did they continue to play them and not get the team ready for their absence.

I really don't know how Jones, RV or whoever pretends to be academic advisers could allow this to happen. I certainly can understand freshmen not making their grades, but I can't understand how a coaching staff and administration could handle this any worse.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 2