Tony Mitchell comments from yesterday

bono

“Coach Jones told us that the old guys like Josh White and Tristan Thompson [almost] never played against them in this gym,” Mitchell said. “We have to give a shout out to those guys. ‘We did it for you.’”

I love this. Giving a nod to probably the most prolific team to come through here in a long time (if not ever) wins points from me.

• Upvote 1

You can even see it in his game, as I would argue that he passed the ball way too much in the 1st half last night.

Totally agree with the above statement but you can see that he's making a concerted effort to get his teammates involved and attempts to elevate their game early. Sign of a selfless player that knows how to excel in a TEAM sport. You can see the marked improvements this team is making as the season moves along and Tony is a huge reason for it.

Last night was the first game in person this year the resembled "JJ's Mean Green style of basketball". Loose offensively, scoring at a pace that took us to JJ's magic number of 80 in regulation and always had an answer for WKU's momentum shifting plays.

• Upvote 1

I have noticed that he is very unselfish both on and off the court, and that is rare for someone of his talent.

Really needs to look for his shot a lot more. JJ was talking to TM qui..te a bit last night. I wonder if he wasn't telling TM just that.

Edited by UNT90

As soon as this team realizes that every man on the floor needs to look for the ball when its in Tony's hands... look out. It happens 3-4 times a night with Tony whipping a pass to a teammate not paying attention only to see it sail out of bounds.

You mentioned this in the chat last night and I didn't have a chance to respond, but I felt Tony's bad passes were more on his indecision and his playing a bit too quickly at times than they were on his teammates not looking or finding themselves in the right spots. Tony threw one that split Alzee and Walton in the corner...they may've had some poor spacing, but that looked like indecision from Tony...and he threw a couple away in the backcourt after he took a dribble or two in space and then abruptly picked up and looked for a guard who probably felt TM was going to just bring the ball up himself (which he did a few times last night).

Not a knock on Tony, per se, I just didn't come away with the same impression that his turnovers were more on his teammates than himself.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Really needs to look for his shot a lot more. JJ was talking to TM qui..te a bit last night. I wonder if he wasn't telling TM just that.

Maybe, but I think it might also have been trying to get him to pick his spots defensively and be smarter with his hands. #22 had nothing for Tony last night, but Tony picked up a silly foul (his 2nd) guarding him in the post. I don't think Tony need to try so hard to deny that guy the ball in that situation (still 1st half, no need to really stop them on that possession and he already had one foul).

You mentioned this in the chat last night and I didn't have a chance to respond, but I felt Tony's bad passes were more on his indecision and his playing a bit too quickly at times than they were on his teammates not looking or finding themselves in the right spots. Tony threw one that split Alzee and Walton in the corner...they may've had some poor spacing, but that looked like indecision from Tony...and he threw a couple away in the backcourt after he took a dribble or two in space and then abruptly picked up and looked for a guard who probably felt TM was going to just bring the ball up himself (which he did a few times last night).

Not a knock on Tony, per se, I just didn't come away with the same impression that his turnovers were more on his teammates than himself.

If we're talking about last night individually, I completely agree. Of his 5 turnovers it seemed like 4 were all on him. In general he just really seems lazy with the ball when he's in open space... which is infuriating.

From my experience watching him with the ball on the wing or down on the blocks he's constantly finding the open man who either stops running, changes direction, or receives the pass so unprepared to do anything with the ball that any advantage is lost. I might be seeing it wrong or misinterpreting scripted movement, but its happening night in and out.

Edited by Green P1

You mentioned this in the chat last night and I didn't have a chance to respond, but I felt Tony's bad passes were more on his indecision and his playing a bit too quickly at times than they were on his teammates not looking or finding themselves in the right spots. Tony threw one that split Alzee and Walton in the corner...they may've had some poor spacing, but that looked like indecision from Tony...

I remember this one. It looked like Tony was looking for Alzee to pop out to the corner and spot-up for a 3, but Alzee started to cut to the basket just as Tony sent the ball to the corner. Simple miscommunication. Happens to the best of them.

Soon, these will begin to minimize as these guys figure out not only the offensive system, but their teammates' styles.

and he threw a couple away in the backcourt after he took a dribble or two in space and then abruptly picked up and looked for a guard who probably felt TM was going to just bring the ball up himself (which he did a few times last night).

Yep. I remember this one too... although I only remember it once. Close to the end of the game. Totally caught Trey off guard with his pass. Trey was on his way up the court with Tony, not looking for a pass.

These guys just need time.

If we're talking about last night individually, I completely agree. Of his 5 turnovers it seemed like 4 were all on him. In general he just really seems lazy with the ball when he's in open space... which is infuriating.

From my experience watching him with the ball on the wing or down on the blocks he's constantly finding the open man who either stops running, changes direction, or receives the pass so unprepared to do anything with the ball that any advantage is lost. I might be seeing it wrong or misinterpreting scripted movement, but its happening night in and out.

Loosely related, there was a play late in the game where Jones whipped a pass straight out of bounds ahead of a break, but it was pretty clear that the ball whizzed 2 feet in front of Niko, who was leading the break and whose head never looked back for even a half second. It was 100% Niko, but of course was credited to Jones.

These are the kinds of things that familiarity will help with.... but I totally agree with GreenP1 on Tony's open floor ball handling - just think that a lot of that stuff gets ironed out as we move forward.

Edited by CaribbeanGreen
  • Upvote 1

Loosely related, there was a play late in the game where Jones whipped a pass straight out of bounds ahead of a break, but it was pretty clear that the ball whizzed 2 feet in front of Niko, who was leading the break and whose head never looked back for even a half second. It was 100% Niko, but of course was credited to Jones.

These are the kinds of things that familiarity will help with.... but I totally agree with GreenP1 on Tony's open floor ball handling - just think that a lot of that stuff gets ironed out as we move forward.

Very salient basketball discussion points.

Makes you wonder why we made the list, huh?

• Upvote 7
  • Downvote 1

Very salient basketball discussion points.

Makes you wonder why we made the list, huh?

We just get under the infidel that puts out fires' skin. Some of us because we can be jackasses, some because we defend JJ, and some because we disagree in humorous ways with his politics.

It amuses me that someone who feels compelled to sign his name has an alter ego where he makes blacklists.

Edited by CMJ
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

I'm really hoping the Pit gets packed when everybody gets back from break. If only Tony could have thrown down that windmill on the fast break.

Honestly, if this team gets on a winning streak, and once the dorms are back to 100% full (I doubt they are even 50% full at this point) we could be seeing crowds of 5-6k for Sun Belt games.

What I would really, really like to see is a couple thousand mean green fans making their way to Hot Springs.

EDITED to take out the extra "would" that I added the first time I edited it. Fail.

Edited by Mean Green Matt
  • Upvote 2

I mean... yeah TM is unselfish.. but how come we don't have any threads about how unselfish Chris Jones is?

Speaking of, CJ had a sweet pass last night in the second half to Roger. If Roger didn't catch it he would have been off to get his nose rebuilt. Thing was a bullet through a small window and led to an easy bucket for Roger.