Three High Schools on Todd Dodge's List

Harry

All indications are that former Southlake Carroll coach Todd Dodge will return to Texas high school football with three communities emerging as front-runners: Burnet, the new College Station high school and Flower Mound.

Without confirmation from Dodge, who spent last season at the University of Pittsburgh after 3 ½ seasons as head coach at North Texas, indications are he’s looking to return to high school coaching rather than pursue a college position. Dodge’s resume isn’t circulating heavily among college coaches but his credentials could always have a program approach him. Dodge could be hired in the next few weeks.

Read More: http://www.ihigh.com/vypedenton/article_99503.html

I'd like to see him end up at Flower Mound and start pushing his best players up to NT.

Flower Mound could hire Hayden Fry and we would still have problems getting their top talent to come up to NT for the same reasons it's hard to get Denton Ryan/Guyer kids... They don't want to stay this close to home.

I wonder if he'll actually come back to HS football, or if this is just his fall-back plan. Surely some other D-1 school (FBS or FCS) out there would want him as a QB's coach?

• Upvote 1

I think it's hilarious if he does have lingering hard feelings after going a wonderful 6-37.

...and it was mainly because he didn't retain any of the previous defensive staff who had coached the North Texas defense to a #60 ranking in the nation. Instead, he brought his high school defensive staff with him, and the rest, as they say, is history.

• Upvote 1

I would seriously doubt that Coach Dodge would have any hard feelings about UNT to the extent that he would not help a player of his get a D-1 scholarship. The man does try to help his players move on to the next level as has been seen in his years at SLC HS. The guy is a professional and will certainly act in a professional manner. While some think local players will not come to UNT, I do think there is every indication that that may be changing a bit...slowly, and there will probably never be a flood of locals heading to UNT...there is no reason to think Coach Dodge would not help a player land that D-1 scholarship to UNT.

I wish Coach Dodge well in his next position. Be it at the HS or College level.

• Upvote 2

Flower Mound could hire Hayden Fry and we would still have problems getting their top talent to come up to NT for the same reasons it's hard to get Denton Ryan/Guyer kids... They don't want to stay this close to home.

I wonder if he'll actually come back to HS football, or if this is just his fall-back plan. Surely some other D-1 school (FBS or FCS) out there would want him as a QB's coach?

The truth is because weve been a joke of a program over the past 5 years and have no history... Players will stay close to home if they are going to a winning program... Why would you want to play for a program that has gone to 0 bowl games since 04, 1 bowl game victory in 50 years and produced 0 NFL draft picks in god knows how long

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 4

I'd like to see him end up at Flower Mound and start pushing his best players up to NT.

Maybe somewhere out in the East Dallas suburbs? Near Lake Ray Hubbard? Forney would be too far away... But somewhere closer could be a nice recruiting pipeline for us, too.

Dodge needs to be in a one high school town to be successful.

He has only ever been successful at one program, and that program had way more than a sturdy foundation (three state championships) before he got there. Granted, Dodge elevated SLC to a new level, but the heavy lifting had already been done before his arrival.

Those who thinks he will automatically be successful anywhere he goes may be disappointed.

My point was:

Southlake is a one high school town. All the middle schools, etc... go by the name Dragons and run the same systems the high school runs. By the time these boys hit Carroll High, the system is second nature. My one concern with Dodge was exactly this. Could he coach his system to players that were unaware of it prior to arriving at NT. Obviously not. SLC is the only place Dodge had success. He was pretty much a .500 coach at all his other stops.

He should remain in the college ranks as an assistant, or go to a one high school town that will allow him to institute his progeam throughout the lower grades.

My point was:

Southlake is a one high school town. All the middle schools, etc... go by the name Dragons and run the same systems the high school runs. By the time these boys hit Carroll High, the system is second nature. My one concern with Dodge was exactly this. Could he coach his system to players that were unaware of it prior to arriving at NT. Obviously not. SLC is the only place Dodge had success. He was pretty much a .500 coach at all his other stops.

He should remain in the college ranks as an assistant, or go to a one high school town that will allow him to institute his progeam throughout the lower grades.

Those places I believe are tough to find but you're absolutely correct. SLC was the perfect fit for him since all of the talent stayed in one school. Not to mention the fact that the area was and is very affluent helped since parents can essentially pay for any extra type of training, practice, resources to get better. Reminds me of Plano Senior High and how they were so dominant and when Plano East opened they lost some and now with Plano West opening a 11 or 12 yrs ago the talent pool has completely been watered down.