June Jones Stays at SMU because of Ministry

Harry

“I have an inner-city ministry that I started and really feel I have more work to do, and that’s why I’m going to be in Dallas probably for the rest of my career,” Jones said.

Jones said the Arizona State job was one of two offers he received but did not seek out after the regular season. He declined to name the other.

Saying, “I’m a man of faith; I really put it in God’s hands,” he explained his reasons for wanting to stay with the Mustangs.

Read More: http://www.dallasnews.com/sports/college-sports/smu-mustangs/20111208-june-jones-happy-about-return-to-smu-i-love-where-i-m-at.ece

“I have an inner-city ministry that I started and really feel I have more work to do, and that’s why I’m going to be in Dallas probably for the rest of my career,” Jones said.

Jones said the Arizona State job was one of two offers he received but did not seek out after the regular season. He declined to name the other.

Saying, “I’m a man of faith; I really put it in God’s hands,” he explained his reasons for wanting to stay with the Mustangs.

Read More: http://www.dallasnews.com/sports/college-sports/smu-mustangs/20111208-june-jones-happy-about-return-to-smu-i-love-where-i-m-at.ece

Hmmm...funny. I remember it being more along the lines of him wanting to go to ASU and then last second they said "No, thanks"

Then again, I am almost 30 so my memory might be begining to slip.

:lolu:

Now do you see why you can't be open with negotiations until they are final? When they fail it's hard to come up with a plausible excuse. Not only are you disappointed and angry but the embarrassment will never go away.

Kinda like letting the kids know that you want to leave your spouse, but it just didn't work out to end it, so that everyone knows they're part of a family with a bad marriage.

On the other hand, i actually hope there's some way this can be something other than the sham of a story it looks like, just for the sake of those needing to believe. No, I don't know why i feel that way. It seems this is simply sad.

Edited by eulessismore
  • Upvote 2

In other news I will also be staying at my current job, because someone else won't pay me more at this time.

The attacks on JJ are in poor form. Coaches are professionals who are allowed to explore new job offers. Folks on this board sound petty, jealous and self righteous when criticizing Jones.

Recruits now know he's out of here after next season, there's no reason to try to smear the guy.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

In other news I will also be staying at my current job, because someone else won't pay me more at this time.

The attacks on JJ are in poor form. Coaches are professionals who are allowed to explore new job offers. Folks on this board sound petty, jealous and self righteous when criticizing Jones.

Recruits now know he's out of here after next season, there's no reason to try to smear the guy.

Nobody here begrudges Jones for trying to seek better job opportunities. But his explanation of why he is staying is a lie. His "inner-city ministry" wasn't keeping him at SMU when he thought Arizona State wanted him. Better to just keep your mouth shut and get back to work, than to try to feed everybody what everybody knows is a line of bull.

--Wasn't he involved in the ministry before HE APPLIED for the ASU job.??? Sounds like BS.

--Thou shall not bear false witness.. [ ie. lie ]

Edited by SCREAMING EAGLE-66

Shaft, I will make the assumption that you didn't care for my posts about Jones. Well, how would you like to be his employer or better yet, one of his players knowing that he really doesn't want to be there. I also believe that once he went public stating he had accepted the ASU job that he effectively terminated his employment with SMU. They shouldn't have to take him back or have to honor the remainder of his contract if they choose to go in another direction. Knowing SMU, they will welcome him back, and if I were another institution competing for one of their recruits, I'd use this against them at every opportunity.

Reading ponyfans, a recent grad of theirs that played football states that Jones is not thought of too highly, which I found interesting.

The first sentence in bold is true. If that was how Jones had explained his actions, I would agree with the second sentence in bold.

Ok ok... Is this something that every coach in the country would do in a heartbeat...pursue a better job? Yes. Did ASU and June Jones screw the smu cause a bit by leaking info? Yes. This is a GREAT negative selling opportunity for competing programs... For recruits... We'll see if we can cash in on any where we really haven't won recently...

This story is nothing more than a pr spin invoking the god shield... I recognize the genius...and the humor for sure. I only hope we can benefit from their quasi black eye and take some recruits from them...

Edited by SHOSS