Mark Followill

Dr. Seuss

I don't think Mark Followill has any extra time to do UNT games during the Mavs season. So bring him in for football? Do you move Dunham over to color commentary after calling the games for years? It's nice to have Hank there commenting.

As for Hank, I bet he calls the basketball games because he wants to, not because it is a cost-saving maneuver. He's the Asst. AD. He can do what he wants.

I don't think Mark Followill has any extra time to do UNT games during the Mavs season. So bring him in for football? Do you move Dunham over to color commentary after calling the games for years? It's nice to have Hank there commenting.

As for Hank, I bet he calls the basketball games because he wants to, not because it is a cost-saving maneuver. He's the Asst. AD. He can do what he wants.

Did you get that advice from David Stern...

Like I said, only during the Football season... Followill and JubJub would be greatness

I've always thought Hank has done a great job in the booth and see no reason to ever make a change. I live and work in Denton and it's hard to go to any business/charity function in this town without seeing the guy working his rear end off and promoting UNT.

If he ran for mayor he'd have my vote.

• Upvote 1

Mark rocks and the way Corby or whoever now speaks favorably about SMU because they do play by play, I think this would be a nice community splash to get him more involved. Mark is clear, fair, excitable and completely professional. He would enhance the experience however he is involved.

GMG

No.

Yes.... Followill is the play by play for the longhorn network, its on his twitter... The guy can do everything, must of been a disciple of Chuck Norris

His Twitter is pretty good too, I would recommend twitter for any sports fan, its the best

Edited by Dr. Seuss

I'm not crazy about Followill or the shrieking SMU guy from The Ticket. Both sound like high school football game radio people to me.

If we're going local, try to get Chuck Cooperstein. Chuck is national. The only problem is that Jub may be intimidated in the presence of an authentic, national Hoo-Ha like Chuck.

• Downvote 5

I'm not crazy about Followill or the shrieking SMU guy from The Ticket. Both sound like high school football game radio people to me.

If we're going local, try to get Chuck Cooperstein. Chuck is national. The only problem is that Jub may be intimidated in the presence of an authentic, national Hoo-Ha like Chuck.

Wait- Mark Followill sounds like a high school football radio guy to you? Really?

And Jub intimidated by Coop?!? REALLY??!? I'm just confused by all of it.

• Upvote 2

Just an awful post on so many levels.

• Upvote 4

Wait- Mark Followill sounds like a high school football radio guy to you? Really?

And Jub intimidated by Coop?!? REALLY??!? I'm just confused by all of it.

I know, the truth is confusing once you face it:

Chuck: National, professional

Jub: Local, semi-professional

Followill, SMU guy: Local, employed because the employers only want to pay Local wage scale.

• Downvote 10

If memory serves me correctly, didn't Jub and Followill do the football broadcast during the mid '90's(at least for 1 season)? I think it may have been Simon's first year as coach. I remember listening to a NT-OU game where Hut Alred scored the first TD and Followill was doing the color commentary.

If memory serves me correctly, didn't Jub and Followill do the football broadcast during the mid '90's(at least for 1 season)? I think it may have been Simon's first year as coach. I remember listening to a NT-OU game where Hut Alred scored the first TD and Followill was doing the color commentary.

You're right, I don't recall exactly how long his relatively short gig was, but I think it was right after Mercer left. I do recall that he did a great job. During his blond hair to the shoulder days I believe.

Followill, SMU guy: Local, employed because the employers only want to pay Local wage scale.

Why is he an "SMU guy"? He was working at The Ticket at the time, and The Ticket was doing SMU games. Probably not something he could turn down doing for two seasons.

Look, nothing against Coop... he's carved out a decent career over the years in a tough business... but National? Really? Some college coverage for Westwood One radio is the only non-Texas thing on his resume. Other than that, it's Texas sports radio pbp and lowly rated talk shows. Again, I respect the guy, but this isn't really fair in comparison to the other two guys. I mean, if you want to go early Ticket hosts, your "national" guys are Menefee and... gasp.... Bayless.

Jub has the flat out highest rated show in morning drive on the highest rated radio station in the only demo that matters in the DFW market. He's a legend in the making, and most of all, he's as UNT as it gets. "Local, semi-professional" is the biggest reduction imaginable in this case. To say he'd be "intimidated" by Coop when he used to host the show BEFORE Coop's on the same radio station for years (Coop was let go while Jub is dominating almost two decades in) makes no sense.

I had no clue Mark had a thing to do with SMU. You sure you're not thinking of Rich Phillips?? Mark has, IMHO, the best voice in local media and is the TV pbp guy for the NBA Champions... Also, a UNT guy. ..."employed because the employers only want to pay Local wage scale" - not on any planet.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Chuck = national. Which of the others - Jub, Followill, or SMU guy - have a national contract? Out of those three, Chuck. Chuck is slick.

The other guys are nice local guys for local teams. Get Chuck, he's national...just don't know that we'd pay national. We pay local or nothing, so we get what we have. It's better than some, sure. But, let's not get carried away.

I understand many of you listen to sports radio and may have gone to school with the three non-national guys, but that doesn't put them in Chuck's league.

Sorry.

• Downvote 4

Chuck = national. Which of the others - Jub, Followill, or SMU guy - have a national contract? Out of those three, Chuck. Chuck is slick.

The other guys are nice local guys for local teams. Get Chuck, he's national...just don't know that we'd pay national. We pay local or nothing, so we get what we have. It's better than some, sure. But, let's not get carried away.

I understand many of you listen to sports radio and may have gone to school with the three non-national guys, but that doesn't put them in Chuck's league.

Sorry.

So if Followill were hired tomorrow to do play by play for the Knicks would he suddenly become national and professional? :lol: It's not where you work, it's the quality of your work. Coop is older and Followill is up and coming. They're both very talented. I guess some people just don't consider announcers "professional" unless they have that old school NYC voice. I have to admit that I'm kind of guilty of preferring that old school voice myself when it comes to professional baseball. But then again that's probably really only for nostalgia purposes, since that's the kind of voice I generally heard in that venue as a kid.

Sorry.

Is this a bit?

Sorry.

Chuck works for the Mavericks same as Folly. He mans the B team(radio) behind Folly(tv). People know him on the national level like they know any generic spare on Sporting News Radio.

• Upvote 2

This thread is confusing. Let me correct this thread. Mark is not a graduate, he is an alumni. He has done plenty of national work, if you consider working for ESPN radio National work. When he was the radio pbp guy for the Mavs. He would do ESPN Radio on nights the Mavs did not play. I haven't heard him on ESPN radio in the last 2 or 3 years.

SMU guy Rich Pkillips (Dick Hicks) is an accomplished PBP man.

Doug Anderson, who does the pbp on TXA21 hs football, also works on College games for the Southland Conference.

They and many others that went through the NT Broadcasting program under Bill Mercer are sucessful because they learned that the score is the most important thing. That is why you can listen to a Mavs game and even though it is on TV, Mark announces the score at-least every 90 seconds.

i took Hank's play by play class as an RTVF major. for guest speakers he brought in George Dunham, Mark Folluowill, Brad Sham, Chuck Cooperstein, Ralph Strangis, Babe Laughenburg and many more... all of them were good at what they do.

Jub and Hank are great together and Hank totally knows what he is doing. They are one of the best college pbp guys i have heard. Hank still has time to be an assoc ad, a professor, and do pbp and he does them all with a great passion for UNT.

Jub, Hank and Followill all learned from the one and only bill mercer, a legend. They are all great. But Followill is busy with the mavs, the only reason he did pbp for the longhorn network was becuase of the lockout, he isnt their everyday pbp guy. Followill said many great things about UNT.

Craig Way visited our class too...other then razzing on him for working for the longhorns, he was a real nice guy with many great things to say about UNT.

All im sayin is we should keep Jub and Hank as long as possible.

• Upvote 3

i took Hank's play by play class as an RTVF major. for guest speakers he brought in George Dunham, Mark Folluowill, Brad Sham, Chuck Cooperstein, Ralph Strangis, Babe Laughenburg and many more... all of them were good at what they do.

Jub and Hank are great together and Hank totally knows what he is doing. They are one of the best college pbp guys i have heard. Hank still has time to be an assoc ad, a professor, and do pbp and he does them all with a great passion for UNT.

Jub, Hank and Followill all learned from the one and only bill mercer, a legend. They are all great. But Followill is busy with the mavs, the only reason he did pbp for the longhorn network was becuase of the lockout, he isnt their everyday pbp guy. Followill said many great things about UNT.

Craig Way visited our class too...other then razzing on him for working for the longhorns, he was a real nice guy with many great things to say about UNT.

All im sayin is we should keep Jub and Hank as long as possible.

UNT is really blessed with quality broadcasters.

• Upvote 3

George is a UNT legend in the making. We're fortunate to have such a great broadcaster calling our games.

Hank is good and a nice pairing with George, but he's too reluctant to criticize the athletic department for obvious reasons.

Followill would be an upgrade to Hank, though I presume he'd have no time to call UNT football in a normal NBA season. He's great on the Mavs games.

Living in Florida, I've heard Chuck Cooperstein a few times on college games. Seems national to me.