Mark Followill

Dr. Seuss

I know everyone talks about how we're neglected from the DFW. I think getting Mark Followill to do play by play with George would be pretty big...hes more of a public icon than Steven Howard and Hank. To make things better Followill is a UNT grad, and hes just a great play by play announcer

But I dont think he can do the Mavs and Unt

Edited by Dr. Seuss
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 6

Hank is outstanding in the booth. He has great chemistry with George and is generally more observant than George. I do not know who Mark Followill is, other than your comments indicating he does play-by-play for the Mavs. I would have to say, If it ain't broke, don't fix it, unless you're going to create something that is significantly better than what we currently do. And it's going to take a lot of persuading to make me think that, as it will with most people who listen to George and Hank's broadcasts.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

George and Hank do a great job for football and Bartolotta does a really good job on basketball. UNT is may have the best announcing group of any school. Unless Hank does need to do something else on game days I'd keep him in the booth. Followill already has a full time gig with the Mavs. However, if George or Hank had to miss a game it would be great to have him fill in.

In the last Mean Green Insider there's an inteview with Hank, Followill, and Craig Way. I'd love to see more of that.

• Upvote 1

I'm perfectly fine with the current crew. I don't think the average person will need to know who Hank is because the only ones listening to them are probably UNT fans in the first place. Now if Fallowill fills in from time to time or something then I am perfectly ok with that. But the current crew is great and nobody needs to mess with that. Actually I kinda love Hank because he's not an over the top homer...he is pretty objective compared to other broadcasts of college broadcast people.

• Upvote 1

I'm perfectly fine with the current crew. I don't think the average person will need to know who Hank is because the only ones listening to them are probably UNT fans in the first place. Now if Fallowill fills in from time to time or something then I am perfectly ok with that. But the current crew is great and nobody needs to mess with that. Actually I kinda love Hank because he's not an over the top homer...he is pretty objective compared to other broadcasts of college broadcast people.

At worst how can we get Followill more involved with his alma mater? Banquets functions Mavs ties, on air mentions.

• Upvote 3

At worst how can we get Followill more involved with his alma mater? Banquets functions Mavs ties, on air mentions.

Oh ya I am all for having Fallowill be a part of UNT and do anything and everything possible to be associated with the university. I was just trying to say that there's nothing wrong with George and Hank.

• Upvote 1

This...I am more than fine with Hank and George in the booth...they do a great job and have excellent chemistry. Steven Bartolotta does a nice job as well...no need to change in my opinion. Now, getting Followill more involved with UNT is a very good idea. It would be nice to have more UNT grads much more active in promoting the University when they hold down broadcasting rolls and have some following. Just as it would be nice to get every other UNT grad more interested in their Alma Mater.

Lots of possibilities here, even subbing from time to time when Hank cannot make it, or Steven or George...and, yes, banquets, coaching road shows, etc., etc.

I think it's a decent idea and should be pursued...now, who can make that happen?

I remember in 2007 with 5 minutes to go against ASU in the conference tournament, Mark was stating to tell Mavs fans mid-game he was a little distracted by what his alma mater was about to do. He kept mentioning it during the broadcast and it made me incredibly happy to have two TVs going at once.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Why Hank does a great job as announcer, and I doubt doing play by play takes a whole lot from his other duties. Followill is very good and if you watched UT/NT on the longhorn network at times you would have thought he was working for NT. I do wonder if some of you know that Followill, Dunham do this for living, they get paid. I am sure Dunham does it more because of his love of the university than the more than likely small amount he is paid. However, others may not be willing to spend the time to work for NT when they can get much better compensation elsewhere. Likewise, I doubt NT wants to pay for two outside broadcasters.

• Upvote 2

Why Hank does a great job as announcer, and I doubt doing play by play takes a whole lot from his other duties. Followill is very good and if you watched UT/NT on the longhorn network at times you would have thought he was working for NT. I do wonder if some of you know that Followill, Dunham do this for living, they get paid. I am sure Dunham does it more because of his love of the university than the more than likely small amount he is paid. However, others may not be willing to spend the time to work for NT when they can get much better compensation elsewhere. Likewise, I doubt NT wants to pay for two outside broadcasters.

Finally someone who actually knows something.... I was wondering if Followill is the play by play for the Longhorn Network?

I dount they would want to pay either but it would be part time during football season, he couldnt do basketball too.

Never have I said that Hank does a bad job, Having a respected person in the DFW as a announcer for UNT is another type of marketing that they could do.

Edited by Dr. Seuss

I love Musberger.

Followill, like Way, is an encyclopedia of sports. If I remember correctly, his thing is baseball facts. Guy is a machine. My brother is the same age and was a HS classmate of Mark's and speaks highly of him as a regular guy, as well.

Having said that, I think Jub and Hank are easily the best broadcast team in the SBC, and one of the top crews working for any Texas university.