Football Banquet

UNTLifer

I would love to attend, but don't live close enough to attend. Who all is attending tonight? Will be looking for updates, who won awards, recruits in attendance, etc... Is this being held in the Club Level at Apogee?

My wife and I will be there....It is being held again at the Gateway Center.

I will be there and tweeting (as I can) from @meangreenfan

Vito will be there as well.

After its over I will put a recap up here on the site. Looking forward to it.

GMG!

Can you post a twitter feed link to the board? I won't be able to attend, but I am EXTREMELY interested in the goings on of the event...emphasis on the recruit attendance...

Also, I am twitter deficient...would I be able to view your "tweets" if I don't have an account?

Can you post a twitter feed link to the board? I won't be able to attend, but I am EXTREMELY interested in the goings on of the event...emphasis on the recruit attendance...

Also, I am twitter deficient...would I be able to view your "tweets" if I don't have an account?

https://twitter.com/#!/meangreenfan

You can follow the link above. Also, plug it into any RSS reader (Google Reader, for example), and the subscription will automatically update as tweets come through.

Gateway makes sense anyway because there is a key Women's basketball game at 7:30 this evening. It makes getting to the game much easier than if we were at Apogee.

Agree just hope they get to show off that Club level and facility to the recruits and their families. It is quite impressive. I'm guessing they will do something there on Sat.

To put this into context, we used to avoid Fouts when we had recruits in town. Now Apogee has become a major component of the recruiting process....hip hip hooray!!

Gateway makes sense anyway because there is a key Women's basketball game at 7:30 this evening. It makes getting to the game much easier than if we were at Apogee.

Recruits or their parents wont care about going to a womans basketball game.. Theyll be more impressed by the stadium and AC than the pit

Edited by Dr. Seuss
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 6

Recruits or their parents wont care about going to a womans basketball game.. Theyll be more impressed by the stadium and AC than the pit

Yeah God forbid the Athletic Department show recruits that they should support their brothers and sisters in the Athletic Department. I would hope if there Athletic Events on campus the Coaches would at least run the recruits by those events for camaraderie.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Well we don't sell out many things at UNT but I sure hope they get a bigger venue next year. I have $50 or whatever it was burning a hole in my pocket and couldn't get single ticket late. My bad for waiting.

Enjoy! Have fun and next year let's raise that occupancy and bring in some more benjamins.

GMG

Banquet was excellent. I would say we had 300+ in attendance, and I can tell you that the room is too small to hold all who would like to have attended. Problem is, there is no place big enough on campus...or in the City of Denton for that matter...to hod the banquet. It may have to move off campus and out of Denton to hold those who would like to attend.

RV and Coach mac were great in thanking everyone...and I mean everyone...who helped make the season a positive one and there were thanks aplenty for the seniors who did so much to stay and help build a great foundation for the future. A couple of great videos shown, all lettermen announced, game balls handed out and team awards announced. All in all a very nice evening. A tad long for my liking and I would pay $10 more to have it a plated dinner rather than a buffet line (think moving 300+ people through a buffet line...espevially when you are feeding over 100 college football players. However, even being a buffet it worked well and folks got through the line in about 35-45 min. But, it did add to the length of the event.

We were told (by a few athletic staffers) that the banquets will continue to be on the Friday prior to dead week going forward.

One interesting tid bit was that Coach mac said all recruiting will be over before Christmas this year...earliest ever that the team will be DONE that early. Pretty good news...i think he intends on signing 25 to scholarships...but that number includes a couple on campus already with scholarships that will count in next year's class.

All in all a great evening...I personally got the opportunity to thank several player parents for "lending us their son" and thanking them for their support. Very nice evening., Vito has reported all the award winners already so i won't go into all that....

• Upvote 2

Banquet was excellent. I would say we had 300+ in attendance, and I can tell you that the room is too small to hold all who would like to have attended.

I heard the number 420 and that the University had to turn people away.

As for the individual awards:

Defensive Lineman - Brandon Akpunku

Defensive Back - Ryan Downing

Linebacker - Forlando Johnson

Most Inspirational- Ivan Delgado & Ryan Boutwell

Special Teams - Will Atterberry

Offensive Lineman - Matt Tomlinson

Offensive Back - Lance Dunbar

Defensive Player - Zachary Orr

Offensive Player - Derek Thompson

Team MVP - Lance Dunbar