Would we REALLY be better off in CUSA

UNT86

I'm just wondering if we would really be better off in CUSA.

We have seen Tulsa come to Fouts, and they were not a huge draw for our students.

I cannot see where our fan base will be any more excited about playing UTEP and Tulane than they are now about playing Middle Tennesse and Troy.

The whole point of joining CUSA was to play Houston and SMU every year.

So, without them, is CUSA really better?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Houston is gone, but what about Rice ? And what goes well with rice ? Memphis. There are still some CUSA schools casual collegiate fans don't recognize, but on the whole, I think CUSA would be an improvement.

Having said that, until we get a CUSA, Big 12 or Pac 10 invite, build, back and bravo the Sun Belt Conference.

GO MEAN GREEN

A lot easier to sell people on schools like Marshall, Memphis, Tulane, UTEP and Rice compared to Little Rock, Louisiana-nobodycares, Florida-nobody can drive to-University that we have never been able to get a rivalry with.

The TV potential is light years better for USA compared to Sun Belt.

Conference USA gets televised on ESPN/ESPN2/FoxSportsSW multiple times a week.

When has that EVER happened for SUN BELT? ESPN3.com does NOT count

If you go up to anyone with some college sports knowledge, who will name more teams in Conference USA compared to Sun Belt, that is IF they even heard of the Sun Belt.

Conference USA has more bowl opportunities as well

that just to name a few reasons

Edited by LakeTravis

I'm just wondering if we would really be better off in CUSA.

We have seen Tulsa come to Fouts, and they were not a huge draw for our students.

I cannot see where our fan base will be any more excited about playing UTEP and Tulane than they are now about playing Middle Tennesse and Troy.

The whole point of joining CUSA was to play Houston and SMU every year.

So, without them, is CUSA really better?

YES...are you freaking kidding me?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Yes, UNT would be better off even in a "depleted" CUSA.

1. The CUSA's annual payout is higher than the SBC.

2. CUSA has more bowl tie-ins than the SBC.

3. CUSA is a step up in competition and should help recruiting and attendance.

4. Conference games against teams like Tulsa and Rice would free our OOC schedule.

5. We get to go to New Orleans for football and basketball.

• Upvote 1

And remember it's not just about athletics. Academic reputation is an important consideration in conference affiliation. cUSA has Rice & Tulsa - two schools with heavy-weight reputations and several other schools that are well-respected. The Sun Belt? Troy, MT, Monroe, & several other schools that are community college level. Which schools do you want to see UNT allied with?

Edited by GTWT
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

And remember it's not just about athletics. Academic reputation is an important consideration in conference affiliation. cUSA has Rice & Tulsa - two schools with heavy-weight reputations and several other schools that are well-respected. The Sun Belt? Troy, MT, Monroe, & several other schools that are community college level. Which schools do you want to see UNT allied with?

Community college level?

Boise State has THREE doctoral programs, until recently was only a masters level institution, and besides the football team is probably best know for its truck driving school (not a joke).

SDSU has 12. Both of them are about to be AQ schools.

I am proud of my degrees from NT, but academics has nothing to do with conference prestige or the conference shuffle.

• Upvote 1

Yes, UNT would be better off even in a "depleted" CUSA.

1. The CUSA's annual payout is higher than the SBC.

2. CUSA has more bowl tie-ins than the SBC.

3. CUSA is a step up in competition and should help recruiting and attendance.

4. Conference games against teams like Tulsa and Rice would free our OOC schedule.

5. We get to go to New Orleans for football and basketball.

Didn't even think about that. +1

An unequivocal yes. Natural rivalries even without Houston and SMU. Known competition, and less directional schools (sadly, it makes a difference). Thus, this almost strikes me as a no brainer. However, I do understand that the reputation does slightly diminish losing Houston, but lets be honest, they couldn't even win the conference championship. Also, let's look at the spring board effect that CUSA has- Cinci, Central Florida, Houston, SMU, TCU (yes, they were in CUSA previously) and finally, Louisville. It obviously won't be immediately in the future, but this is a great place to start out as we begin looking to increase our name recognition.

An unequivocal yes. Natural rivalries even without Houston and SMU. Known competition, and less directional schools (sadly, it makes a difference). Thus, this almost strikes me as a no brainer. However, I do understand that the reputation does slightly diminish losing Houston, but lets be honest, they couldn't even win the conference championship. Also, let's look at the spring board effect that CUSA has- Cinci, Central Florida, Houston, SMU, TCU (yes, they were in CUSA previously) and finally, Louisville. It obviously won't be immediately in the future, but this is a great place to start out as we begin looking to increase our name recognition.

Not finally--you left out USF

Community college level?

Boise State has THREE doctoral programs, until recently was only a masters level institution, and besides the football team is probably best know for its truck driving school (not a joke).

I am proud of my degrees from NT, but academics has nothing to do with conference prestige or the conference shuffle.

People talking like that are no different than the few SMU douchers calling UNT a community college.

Community college level?

Boise has a good football program but academically it's not a school I want UNT associated with. If "academics has nothing to do with conference prestige or the conference shuffle" why has UT explicited stated that being in a conference with academic peers is critical?

I know this isn't a popular notion on GMG.com but academics trumps athletics everytime. Athletics is an important part of the university experience but the reason for existence is academics.

Boise has a good football program but academically it's not a school I want UNT associated with. If "academics has nothing to do with conference prestige or the conference shuffle" why has UT explicited stated that being in a conference with academic peers is critical?

I know this isn't a popular notion on GMG.com but academics trumps athletics everytime. Athletics is an important part of the university experience but the reason for existence is academics.

To me an education is an education no matter where you get it from.. I think it is foolish to look at someone and judge them or an institution for that matter based on where they graduated and/or what rankings those schools have. Boise State, UNT, SMU, Harvard, Oxford you name it...if you don't have a brain outside of a textbook you probably won't make it in life anyways. I'll be in a conference with Boise State any day of the week.

• Downvote 2