I don't even...

Matt

While waiting outside class today, I overheard a girl talking about UNT. I didn't hear the entire conversation, but what I did hear was "I don't know why they tried to teach me the fight song, I'm not learning it, I don't care. I don't really care about UNT, I just want to get my degree and leave"

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

While waiting outside class today, I overheard a girl talking about UNT. I didn't hear the entire conversation, but what I did hear was "I don't know why they tried to teach me the fight song, I'm not learning it, I don't care. I don't really care about UNT, I just want to get my degree and leave"

Look that stinks to hear that and see that but it happens more than you think even in the big schools. One of my coworkers went to Nebraska and she told me she didn't give a crap about the school and the football team and all she wanted was that piece of paper and leave. Our issue is we just don't have enough people that care...we need to generate quantity. People like this girl will always exist...they're at every school.

Then she should go to DeVry or ATI or Phoenix if a degree is the ONLY thing you want out of college. The "fun" UNT is offering is basically free.

Her loss and she'll regret not getting involved in some type of student life. Sad...

North Texas attracts a lot of, how should I say this, "interesting" students. I would guess 40% of the student body doesn't give a damn about football in general, not just ours. I hear quite a few of these conversations too, but today I overheard some guys talking about the future of the team and how they planned on making every game next year as opposed to just the Houston game this season, and probably 3-4 groups talking about Tony Mitchell.

We have more apathetic non athletic friendly people on campus than at most schools, but there's still a lot of dudes 18-21 that love football, they just don't love a losing team. We're all upset with attendance Saturday, but I know for a fact, if we start winning, 25k is not out of the question, and it will only grow from there in terms of students. We just have to WIN.

• Upvote 1

Then she should go to DeVry or ATI or Phoenix if a degree is the ONLY thing you want out of college. The "fun" UNT is offering is basically free.

Her loss and she'll regret not getting involved in some type of student life. Sad...

So you're saying student life has to involve or only involves athletics and stuff like that? She could very well be connected with other things associated with the school but not athletics.

And who knows maybe as time goes by she may somehow get connected to sports and be a big mean green fan. We need to win fans...not keep them away by saying they should have gone to Devry or ATI etc.

Exactly how I felt when I was a student.

Haven't missed a home football game in 16 years or whenever NT announced it was going back to D1.

Things change.

Exactly how I felt when I was a student.

Haven't missed a home football game in 16 years or whenever NT announced it was going back to D1.

Things change.

Very similar story for me. I used to think college sports was the stupidest thing in the universe.

If you'd told college me how much of my post-college life would involve or revolve around North Texas athletics, I'd probably have laughed in your face and called you an idiot.

More than 10% of the days on the calendar, I'm attending some event related to North Texas sports. From November through March, I (effectively) schedule work and family around basketball.

Never expected that to happen.

Very similar story for me. I used to think college sports was the stupidest thing in the universe.

If you'd told college me how much of my post-college life would involve or revolve around North Texas athletics, I'd probably have laughed in your face and called you an idiot.

More than 10% of the days on the calendar, I'm attending some event related to North Texas sports. From November through March, I (effectively) schedule work and family around basketball.

What about football?

I agree with Tasty here...times change and people change. The attitude of the co-ed in question is most likely not the same way she will feel in a few years. Yes, UNT has a bunch of these students...maybe even more than most universities, but it also has a good number of students who do care about their university and, like was mentioned earlier, all universities have such students enrolled. Sigh...they just miss out on so much, but it's their decision. As wrong as many of us feel it is through our experiences, we can only let time take its course with this attitude. This is a situation I see improving across UNT, but it will take time and it will take much more than just a winning football or basketball team.

P.S. She probably doesn't care about much of anything else either.

Edited by KRAM1
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Nor did I. I honestly did not find my self being remotely attracted to UNT sports until after I graduated. Then it became a reason to come back to campus and enjoy the atmosphere again. All of these kids wearing green and wearing UNT stuff are being setup to hopefully follow my (and many other's) path to want to reengage after they are gone vs. say "see ya".

I would have laughed at you as well if you thought that I would either support UNT's sports or even give more than a modest amount of attention to college sports after school was over.

Go to class every Monday. Mention at the beginning of class so that everyone can hear about what a great time you had at the game last weekend. Wear it with pride. And that's it. For those who scoff, let them scoff and do not deride them. Every once in a while, someone will come up and ask about the games. Invite them to tailgate, walk them into the stadium. Let word spread. But do not, under any circumstances, deride.

• Upvote 2

The problem is that UNT markets itself to these types of students. UNT focuses on how their the biggest, cheapest and most accessible university in DFW. I never see UNT really putting an effort into building a sense of pride or accomplishment into attending the university. More like, "hey, we're UNT, we have every degree at an affordable price that almost anyone can earn!"

Makes us seem like the Wal Mart of universities.

North Texas attracts a lot of, how should I say this, "interesting" students. I would guess 40% of the student body doesn't give a damn about football in general, not just ours. I hear quite a few of these conversations too, but today I overheard some guys talking about the future of the team and how they planned on making every game next year as opposed to just the Houston game this season, and probably 3-4 groups talking about Tony Mitchell.

We have more apathetic non athletic friendly people on campus than at most schools, but there's still a lot of dudes 18-21 that love football, they just don't love a losing team. We're all upset with attendance Saturday, but I know for a fact, if we start winning, 25k is not out of the question, and it will only grow from there in terms of students. We just have to WIN.

Not different from the University of Houston. Having lived in the area for longer than I care to admit as it would reveal my age, I can't tell you how many UH alumni I've met who could care less about the school's athletic programs. In fact, it is rare to find one who actually does. Nevertheless, the crowds turned out when the school produced a winner this year. Winning attracts the marginal fans. Win enough, long enough and the fan base will grow.

OK to admit my age....I grew up in Austin and was at the UT-SMU game at the old memorial stadium in 1956 (when Ed Price's team went 1-9), when there weren't many more in attendance than we saw last Saturday. Obviously things changed there with the advent of Darrell Royal. Again, while winning alone won't automatically convert those who aren't interested in sports, it does help grow the fan base over time.

• Upvote 1

The problem is that UNT markets itself to these types of students. UNT focuses on how their the biggest, cheapest and most accessible university in DFW. I never see UNT really putting an effort into building a sense of pride or accomplishment into attending the university. More like, "hey, we're UNT, we have every degree at an affordable price that almost anyone can earn!"

Makes us seem like the Wal Mart of universities.

In part because they are trying to boost enrollment to 45k students. As we do that we plan on building the staff quality and numbers and then raise admission standards to try and try to be seen as a more prestigious college to get in to. Atleast thats what I got from their Tier 1 overview.

I'm tired of people on here complaining about students not caring about athletics. They go to The University of North Texas. UNIVERSITY. Every student's first priority should be about their school work and their future careers. Football is not the main reason they are here, or basketball, etc.

I'm not talking about the people who say they wish the students would support the team, because I wish that too. I am talking about the people who say the students don't support the football team hate the school or do a disservice to the university. Its a ridiculous statement. Support should not be a tyrannical requirement.

Better yet, lead by example and show them how its done. People will come around more that way than bashing them and calling them less for not going.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1