To the CITY OF DENTON & UNT STUDENTS

DallasGreen

Okay. I'm a Junior at UNT, transferred after my freshman year and I've lurked these boards for almost two years now and I have never had the urge to contribute to any conversation or felt I had anything meaningful to say. With that being said, I've made this account to specifically address this attendance issue that grown men are pissing themselves over.

Here are the reasons students did not show up to this game specifically, but all of them for that matter:

1. It is not UNT culture to be highly involved in football (or any other sport). It is not advertised around school. The administration, in my opinion, makes no effort to get the regular student involved with sports. Occasionally they will put up small plastic signs at 4 locations on campus on game week. Great. What an advertising lure! ... Not. UNT needs to make football BIG. There is nothing around campus that shouts, "WE LOVE SPORTS! GO MEAN GREEN!" Zero advertisement.

2. History of losing. Most students see UNT sports as a joke- They don't care. I've had one professor in my 1 and 1/2 years talk about the football team in class. No students cared. Why? Because of losing IN ADDITION with the lack of culture. It's not something for the average student to get excited about because they've been let down for years and don't expect anything. When you don't expect anything, why bother? They don't want to show up to a game to just be let down. Students feel it is embarrassing and are ashamed when the football program has done so bad in recent years. They don't expect anything to change. Even with a new stadium.

When I came here Todd Dodge was at my student orientation, he gave us the sales pitch that UNT will do great this year in football and it's time to turn the program around and it sounds similar to what McCarney has said. Do you think the average student who is only familiar with losing and the lack of football culture and lack of sports knowledge is going to see ANY difference between the same hopeful speech by two different people? No.

Only with this much improved season will students realize "Hey, maybe this is worth checking out now." It takes a season of doing significantly better to gain any recognition and that's what happened this season. Not next season, but the next will UNT be what you ranting immature adults WANT the student fan section to look like.

3. The HISTORY of UNT football or Lance making any accomplishments is NOT known to the average student. NCAA breaking records, what do you expect them to know about it? Again, I put this on the administration and/or the Athletics Department for NOT making it known. One email. Great. 1. Not everyone checks their email. 2.Emails are easily overlooked, we get so much crap emails from the administration already can you expect us to read through every one? No. Most people see the block of text we received and blow past it. NOT to mention it wasn't even from the Athletics Department or have FOOTBALL anywhere in the title. It was sent by freaking MARKETING in the name. We see marketing, we think it's spam. Maybe try titling the letter: "NCAA RECORDS TO BE BROKEN" with football as the email name. Not marketing@randomname.com Try: MEANGREENFOOTBALL@UNT.COM Maybe that might catch more attention.

4. WITH all of the mentioned aspects above, it was raining and cold. And most of you raving alumni are foul mouthing the students as you sit in freaking COVERED club level seats seem to not think the weather is an issue. We found out at the FAU game we are NOT allowed umbrellas. This is a huge issue. As students, we are not going to sit through bad weather and be rained on terribly and be cold when there is no spirit for football and it really doesn't matter if we win or lose anyways because there is no tradition or culture to care. If I could sit there with an umbrella. I would have gone. But nope, because I knew I would have sat there, gotten wet and cold and gotten sick the week before FINALS (education and health come first). This part, I blame on the staff at the stadium. (which this is not the only issue with a stadium staff, I originally wrote a lot more, but decided to drop it.) This game was the first game I missed and I had to listen to it on the radio. I live in the dorms, I was disappointed and mad that I had to miss it. Yes. Had to. As I'm sure every other student who WOULD have gone if it wasn't raining felt. If you were there during the FAU game, which we won, you would have seen the student section was big, then dwindled down as the weather got worse. Weather is a huge factor. We don't live up north, we do not have full weatherproof clothing. The most winter suitable clothes we have is jeans. Jeans get wet. With no overhead protection we are going to get soaked and be uncomfortable and cold and get sick. End of story.

Yes. Panchos were available to be purchased, but this isn't known to students. We weren't told- how should we know? I sure didn't until I saw a picture on Scrappy's Facebook page. And they cost money. We're college students. Do you think we're going to pay for anything? No, lol.

Now I'll be the final word on the matter of attendance and the voice of the students:

"Shut up. Make us more involved and we will care more. We want to care more. We want to be involved with our university. We want that classic university experience and we want it to be first class so don't blame us for being apathetic and disillusioned. Do you think we want that?"

Scoreboard. Same as it was 6 years ago.

• Upvote 3

Okay. I'm a Junior at UNT, transferred after my freshman year and I've lurked these boards for almost two years now and I have never had the urge to contribute to any conversation or felt I had anything meaningful to say. With that being said, I've made this account to specifically address this attendance issue that grown men are pissing themselves over.

Here are the reasons students did not show up to this game specifically, but all of them for that matter:

1. It is not UNT culture to be highly involved in football (or any other sport). It is not advertised around school. The administration, in my opinion, makes no effort to get the regular student involved with sports. Occasionally they will put up small plastic signs at 4 locations on campus on game week. Great. What an advertising lure! ... Not. UNT needs to make football BIG. There is nothing around campus that shouts, "WE LOVE SPORTS! GO MEAN GREEN!" Zero advertisement.

2. History of losing. Most students see UNT sports as a joke- They don't care. I've had one professor in my 1 and 1/2 years talk about the football team in class. No students cared. Why? Because of losing IN ADDITION with the lack of culture. It's not something for the average student to get excited about because they've been let down for years and don't expect anything. When you don't expect anything, why bother? They don't want to show up to a game to just be let down. Students feel it is embarrassing and are ashamed when the football program has done so bad in recent years. They don't expect anything to change. Even with a new stadium.

When I came here Todd Dodge was at my student orientation, he gave us the sales pitch that UNT will do great this year in football and it's time to turn the program around and it sounds similar to what McCarney has said. Do you think the average student who is only familiar with losing and the lack of football culture and lack of sports knowledge is going to see ANY difference between the same hopeful speech by two different people? No.

Only with this much improved season will students realize "Hey, maybe this is worth checking out now." It takes a season of doing significantly better to gain any recognition and that's what happened this season. Not next season, but the next will UNT be what you ranting immature adults WANT the student fan section to look like.

3. The HISTORY of UNT football or Lance making any accomplishments is NOT known to the average student. NCAA breaking records, what do you expect them to know about it? Again, I put this on the administration and/or the Athletics Department for NOT making it known. One email. Great. 1. Not everyone checks their email. 2.Emails are easily overlooked, we get so much crap emails from the administration already can you expect us to read through every one? No. Most people see the block of text we received and blow past it. NOT to mention it wasn't even from the Athletics Department or have FOOTBALL anywhere in the title. It was sent by freaking MARKETING in the name. We see marketing, we think it's spam. Maybe try titling the letter: "NCAA RECORDS TO BE BROKEN" with football as the email name. Not marketing@randomname.com Try: MEANGREENFOOTBALL@UNT.COM Maybe that might catch more attention.

4. WITH all of the mentioned aspects above, it was raining and cold. And most of you raving alumni are foul mouthing the students as you sit in freaking COVERED club level seats seem to not think the weather is an issue. We found out at the FAU game we are NOT allowed umbrellas. This is a huge issue. As students, we are not going to sit through bad weather and be rained on terribly and be cold when there is no spirit for football and it really doesn't matter if we win or lose anyways because there is no tradition or culture to care. If I could sit there with an umbrella. I would have gone. But nope, because I knew I would have sat there, gotten wet and cold and gotten sick the week before FINALS (education and health come first). This part, I blame on the staff at the stadium. (which this is not the only issue with a stadium staff, I originally wrote a lot more, but decided to drop it.) This game was the first game I missed and I had to listen to it on the radio. I live in the dorms, I was disappointed and mad that I had to miss it. Yes. Had to. As I'm sure every other student who WOULD have gone if it wasn't raining felt. If you were there during the FAU game, which we won, you would have seen the student section was big, then dwindled down as the weather got worse. Weather is a huge factor. We don't live up north, we do not have full weatherproof clothing. The most winter suitable clothes we have is jeans. Jeans get wet. With no overhead protection we are going to get soaked and be uncomfortable and cold and get sick. End of story.

Yes. Panchos were available to be purchased, but this isn't known to students. We weren't told- how should we know? I sure didn't until I saw a picture on Scrappy's Facebook page. And they cost money. We're college students. Do you think we're going to pay for anything? No, lol.

Now I'll be the final word on the matter of attendance and the voice of the students:

"Shut up. Make us more involved and we will care more. We want to care more. We want to be involved with our university. We want that classic university experience and we want it to be first class so don't blame us for being apathetic and disillusioned. Do you think we want that?"

:goodjob: :goodjob: :goodjob: :goodjob: Well said!

• Upvote 3

4. WITH all of the mentioned aspects above, it was raining and cold. And most of you raving alumni are foul mouthing the students as you sit in freaking COVERED club level seats and seem to not think the weather is an issue. We found out at the FAU game we are NOT allowed umbrellas. This is a huge issue. As students, we are not going to sit through bad weather and be rained on terribly and be cold when there is no spirit for football and it really doesn't matter if we win or lose anyways because there is no tradition or culture to care. If I could sit there with an umbrella. I would have gone. But nope, because I knew I would have sat there, gotten wet and cold and gotten sick the week before FINALS (education and health come first). This part, I blame on the staff at the stadium. (which this is not the only issue with a stadium staff, I originally wrote a lot more, but decided to drop it.) This game was the first game I missed and I had to listen to it on the radio. I live in the dorms, I was disappointed and mad that I had to miss it. Yes. Had to. As I'm sure every other student who WOULD have gone if it wasn't raining felt. If you were there during the FAU game, which we won, you would have seen the student section was big, then dwindled down as the weather got worse. Weather is a huge factor. We don't live up north, we do not have full weatherproof clothing. The most winter suitable clothes we have is jeans. Jeans get wet. With no overhead protection we are going to get soaked and be uncomfortable and cold and get sick. End of story.

Well said fine sir. That said I'm sure some folks on the board will still find a way to poo poo on your post somehow.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

4. WITH all of the mentioned aspects above, it was raining and cold. And most of you raving alumni are foul mouthing the students as you sit in freaking COVERED club level seats and seem to not think the weather is an issue. We found out at the FAU game we are NOT allowed umbrellas. This is a huge issue. As students, we are not going to sit through bad weather and be rained on terribly and be cold when there is no spirit for football and it really doesn't matter if we win or lose anyways because there is no tradition or culture to care. If I could sit there with an umbrella. I would have gone. But nope, because I knew I would have sat there, gotten wet and cold and gotten sick the week before FINALS (education and health come first). This part, I blame on the staff at the stadium. (which this is not the only issue with a stadium staff, I originally wrote a lot more, but decided to drop it.) This game was the first game I missed and I had to listen to it on the radio. I live in the dorms, I was disappointed and mad that I had to miss it. Yes. Had to. As I'm sure every other student who WOULD have gone if it wasn't raining felt. If you were there during the FAU game, which we won, you would have seen the student section was big, then dwindled down as the weather got worse. Weather is a huge factor. We don't live up north, we do not have full weatherproof clothing. The most winter suitable clothes we have is jeans. Jeans get wet. With no overhead protection we are going to get soaked and be uncomfortable and cold and get sick. End of story.

As a fellow student, I agree completely. Anyone that will disagree with your post is delusional.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

I attended the game. I am 66 years old. All one has to do is have the common sense to get the forecast, look at the real-time online radar, and go to the game prepared. I was in the Army and yesterday was a walk in the park. I hope to God you kids eventually grow a pair.

DallasGreen is correct in his post, albeit a little long. Kudos to him for his on-target rant.

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 5

No...you shut up...you future doped up dropout! The longtime supporters of this program are more important than you!!1! WE ARE IMPORTNAT DAMMIT!!!! We've earned our right to bitch through our millions of hours of tailgating at games no one else gave a shit about and the millions of dollars we've spent on accepting mediocrity, not demanding better marketing, and refusing to pony up money to student organizations that actually want the classic university experience in favor of trying to keep the one crappy little "spirit" organization that died years ago on life support despite their blatant lack of give-a-damn!!! We're better fans than you because we've wasted more money on this than you ever will you hippie loser!!! We're ashamed to be associated with you apathetic blood sucking dope smoking, weirded out students!!1!

/sarcasm

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

Boo freaking hoo. You're right it won't be turned around overnight. It might not ever get turned around... but if/when it does, it will not be because of students like you.

Edited by Green P1
  • Upvote 6
  • Downvote 3

No...you shut up...you future doped up dropout! The longtime supporters of this program are more important than you!!1! WE ARE IMPORTNAT DAMMIT!!!! We've earned our right to bitch through our millions of hours of tailgating at games no one else gave a shit about and the millions of dollars we've spent on accepting mediocrity, not demanding better marketing, and refusing to pony up money to student organizations that actually want the classic university experience in favor of trying to keep the one crappy little "spirit" organization that died years ago on life support despite their blatant lack of give-a-damn!!! We're better fans than you because we've wasted more money on this than you ever will you hippie loser!!! We're ashamed to be associated with you apathetic blood sucking dope smoking, weirded out students!!1!

/sarcasm

Hey - I thought you were dead?

• Upvote 7

I attended the game. I am 66 years old. All one has to do is have the common sense to get the forecast, look at the real-time online radar, and go to the game prepared. I was in the Army and yesterday was a walk in the park. I hope to God you kids eventually grow a pair.

DallasGreen is correct in his post, albeit a little long. Kudos to him for his on-target rant.

LOL not sure if serious?

Again, as I said, it's nearly impossible to go prepared to the game. You cannot have an umbrella and I for one do not have waterproof pants and I don't enjoy a shriveled up cold penis. And great, you were in the army. I ran Cross Country for years and ran multiple times in freezing rain as well. However, this is an event for enjoyment. A cold and wet penis is not enjoyable. So actually, I was taking damn well good care of my pair. ;)

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Aside from this argument, I understand all the other points.

I hope our current students don't expect administration or anyone for that matter to make them do anything. It takes effort to care about something.

What I mean is that the administration does make sports really known to the students or advertise it to us. What would be a better way to put it is "PROVIDE us reasons to care more and we will care more."

• Upvote 1

What I mean is that the administration does make sports really known to the students or advertise it to us. What would be a better way to put it is "PROVIDE us reasons to care more and we will care more."

I was hoping that was what you meant. You obviously care enough to post on the message board. And we're damn glad you do.

To be honest though, what does the administration do to make anything known to the students?

• Upvote 3

I went to the gift shop and bought a poncho for $4.95 and enjoyed the hell out of this event with the other students that braved the weather. Penis remained dry the entire game and I'm not sick. It didn't interfere with school work and I'm ready for finals. As far as not being advertised, yes that does suck and it would be nice if they made a bigger deal about athletics. However, you know the games exist and I feel it's just as much our responsibility as students to get our friends to go as it is the responsibility of the university to advertise.

Something else I already mentioned. I was not aware ponchos were available for purchase. Who was? Plus it was raining before the game to begin with. (WHICH, Mr. Army man, is why, with COMMON-SENSE of the forecast students did not show up.)

I don't think any student was aware of that before they arrived which prevented many from going.

And again, as I mentioned, students are cheap, tell them they have to buy something and their mentality is, "screw that."

I like how the two post against my post are both about issues I already originally addressed and explained. /facepalm.

Something else I already mentioned. I was not aware ponchos were available for purchase. Who was? Plus it was raining before the game to begin with. (WHICH, Mr. Army man, is why, with COMMON-SENSE of the forecast students did not show up.)

I don't think any student was aware of that before they arrived which prevented many from going.

And again, as I mentioned, students are cheap, tell them they have to buy something and their mentality is, "screw that."

I like how the two post against my post are both about issues I already originally addressed and explained. /facepalm.

I didn't know they were available either but I went anyways prepared to get wet while cheering on my school and watch history be made. Also, I'm also a student (not Mr. Army man) and my mentality wasn't "screw that." I even saw people that didn't want to spend money use trash bags as ponchos. They might have been issues you already addressed, but they're also issues that other students who went had to face as well and they didn't let it stop them.

• Upvote 2

Hope all who stayed in your cozy little bungalows last night are proud of yourselves for missing the making of NCAA history. What a slap in the face to the progam, the seniors, and most of all Lance Dunbar to stay away in droves when all knew what was possible on this night. I for one who has missed few home games in the last 50 years can not find it more odious that the jerkwater town of little "d" can not even phathom what it has in its two universities. This has to be the poorest excuse for a college town in America. I've heard all the lame excuses ---too many things to do in the metroplex, too many commuters, have to support both universities if you support one, afternoon games are bad for local merchants' business,etc.,etc. All these are pure unadultered BS. Take it as fact--- Denton can put down its largest employer and smirk about it. The UNT faculty has shown it is only a bunch of self serving pseudo intellectual pin heads and the C of C a bunch of self agrandeousing blow hards. The students should hide their degrees from sight since they show absolutely no respect for their alma mater. The commuters are a bunch of blood sucking parasites who only use UNT and then quickly disregard all ties. I have never been so ashamed to be associated with the City of Denton as well as the drunk doped up band of worthless students as this first season in Apogee. I hope you all realize down the road what a disservice you did to your university and your city last night, and don't respond by patting yourself on the back for your "punny" student fee of $10. when everyone else is paying double that. Yes I put my $$ where my mouth is--- I'm sure I'm close to $100K lifetime investment in my alma mater, and I came from a family of very modest income unlike the pompus, pampered brats from SMU, but also unlike the dope smoking, weirded out students of apathy that now inhabit this campus. I hope you're proud this morning. I know I am because last night I witnessed history and said goodbye to a great group of young men that this city and the students and faculty of UNT truly do not deserve. :growl:

When I was a student at UNT, I had a lot of great sex. So, I mean, when I look at my degree on the wall and think back on those days, it may not have been all about whether the football team was winning or losing. I could have cared less because I was scoring anyway.

Thanks, UNT, for the knowledge and women. A good football team back then would have been a bonus, but...you can't have everything, right?

• Upvote 2

Ok students.

If you had spent $50 on concert tickets to an outdoor show would you have still gone if the weather was bad? Or would you have eaten the tickets, wasted the cash, and stayed home in your dorm room?

Because if you do the math...

You're comparing apples to oranges here.

1. They paid for the concert so they care.

2. Because they already paid and care they will show up.

For football...

1. We don't *directly pay, so there's no direct incentive to go to make sure we "get our moneys worth" versus paying for a concert we CARE about in the first place.

2. And again... Culture and a losing history prevent us from caring to go.

A concert that is paid is already something to care about. A football game is "appeared" free and is not cared about.

That is the difference. Apples and Oranges.

Edited by Ouroboros

I didn't know they were available either but I went anyways prepared to get wet while cheering on my school and watch history be made. Also, I'm also a student (not Mr. Army man) and my mentality wasn't "screw that." I even saw people that didn't want to spend money use trash bags as ponchos. They might have been issues you already addressed, but they're also issues that other students who went had to face as well and they didn't let it stop them.

I know you're not "Mr. Army guy," which is a nickname for someone else and I added that remark in parentheses as an additional response. I should hope you could tell the difference...

And I did not mention that was your mentality, did I? No. I was talking about the general student population so arguing your own personal experience is pointless when that is not the topic issue or the concern to begin with.

And great, there was about 500 other students who had the same mentality as you. Do you think I was talking about them? No.