Where was boomer?

EagleGreen

So, short of anything else to complain about someone decides to complain about Boomer. Nice. Amazing stuff this...have you ever heard of black powder, rain and inexperienced cannon crew members? Probably a good idea, on several levels, to keep Boomer dry and warm yesterday. Yes, I recognized that Boomer wasn't there and I wished that he was, but knew immediately that the right decision was made in this case. Sometimes one has to use one's brain even when it might not be "fun".

I would imagine that if Boomer had been rolled our, the Talons would not have known how to properly dry and store Bommer after the game and we'd end up with FFR having to spend countless hours once again repairing, cleaning and polishing Boomer once more.

Find something else to complain about as you probably have no clue how to care for a black powder cannon like Boomer.

But, to answer your question...yes, they have wars in the rain. Ever read or studied history regarding the use of black powder weapons during those wars? Give it a try...it's interesting and you will find the many and varied challenges soldiers faced in trying to do so......Good grief...sometimes ignorance just gets in the way of good sense, I guess.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 3

Ha! You are telling me that the Talons, UNT students, are too stupid care for boomer? You've given them a piece of history and tradition, and have not trained them properly?

Regarding war-time history, I'm well versed. The point was that the challenges overcome by brave veterans could have been displayed by boomer being fired in the rain. With the ingenuity taught at the great U of N T, we could have figured out a way to ignite black powder in the rain.

We often hear about a needed " change in culture." To do so, we need wins, spirit, and a sense of tradition. We are gaining ground on this culture change, and can't have fair weather fans or traditions.

This was a great season. 5 wins, many new records, and we kindled the spirit that has been nearly void for so long. More importantly, we had a reason to believe that we would win each game. Let's not only keep it going, but make it stronger. And, let's fire boomer in the rain!

See you at the next game.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

Ha! You are telling me that the Talons, UNT students, are too stupid care for boomer? You've given them a piece of history and tradition, and have not trained them properly?

To answer this particular question, I was at the training session this August and wet weather procedures were not covered......that I remember

Regarding war-time history, I'm well versed. The point was that the challenges overcome by brave veterans could have been displayed by boomer being fired in the rain. With the ingenuity taught at the great U of N T, we could have figured out a way to ignite black powder in the rain.

Well, the main charge is pre-packaged in aluminum foil and would be somewhat water proof. Loose powder is introduced into the top of the gun and then the (for lack of the official word for it) channel leading to the charge is covered with a firing cap.......after the charge is pierced with a long sturdy pin. So that process can be compromised by rain. However an official North Texas tailgaters ez-up tent could take care of that situation. Unless of course, the aforementioned tents are only sun shades and not very good at keeping a steady downpour off of you.

We often hear about a needed " change in culture." To do so, we need wins, spirit, and a sense of tradition. We are gaining ground on this culture change, and can't have fair weather fans or traditions.

I have to agree with you on this.....especially since I'm usually the one harping about a need for culture change. Especially since this season has demonstrated what I've said for years. And that is, that facilities, wins, and money alone will not bring about significant changes in attendance

This was a great season. 5 wins, many new records, and we kindled the spirit that has been nearly void for so long. More importantly, we had a reason to believe that we would win each game. Let's not only keep it going, but make it stronger. And, let's fire boomer in the rain!

OR, at the very least (especially if an administrator(s) said no to firing boomer) I would have set up an official NT ez-up tent where boomer sits and have ALL of the cannon crew under it. And when we scored they could have come out from under the tent and held up big signs that said.......BOOM!!! Thereby demonstrating their enginuity, and their commitment to the traditions and spirit of North Texas. To me, not showing up is not an option.

Absolutely

• Upvote 2

From extensive experience with black powder Artillery.. It is not as simple just to put a tailgate cover over the top. Black powder both burned and unburned is a magnet for moisture. Even if you have a cover over it, tin foil and such when there is 100% humidity, the chance of misfire is very high. Then you have a spark lingering around that Might come in contact with powder that is not compromised with moisture. Then you have problems. As far as firing the gun under cover ..not a good idea.. The same blast that comes out the from muzzle also comes out the vent hole. ANY tent will either instantly have a hole blown in it or will burn merrily. And yea even during the Civil War they didn't do a whole lot of artillery firing during pouring down rain. So unless you want a 10 gauge shot gun like UT-Austins Smoaky or a WWI 75 field gun with brass casings like ATM.. Boomer does just fine.. The fire works last night were a good stand in! LOTS of BANG!

Edited by Voice of Reason
  • Upvote 1

I just love it when folks tell "other people" what they should and should not do when they have no information regarding the situation, the process involved or the need for volunteers...perhaps those who feel the need to criticize should volunteer to man Boomer the next time it pours down and make sure that it all goes the way they think it should. I am fairly certain that your volunteer help would be fairly well received. Then you could acquire the tent, put up that tent, take care of it and Boomer before and during the game and then dry and clean Boomer properly after the game. Shouldn't take more than 4-5 hours of your time.

The Talons probably aren't too hard to get in touch with. Sounds like some here know exactly how it SHOULD have been handled. I look forward to seeing how well you do that next season.

I agree with Silver and his "traditions" mantra. Maybe some traditions just need a bit more volunteers to make sure they are handled properly.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Kram, obviously you were offended by my observation that boomer has become a fair weather tradition. Not my intention. Likewise, it's probably not your intention to tell people they are Ignorant and should solve the problem themselves, as your last post implies. Traditions are generally a group effort, in this case, a mean green nation effort. Let's all rise to the occasion and make sure we have no fair weather traditions.

• Upvote 3

This. I had a little chuckle yesturday standing there in the rain not hearing Boomer each score. People complain all day long on here about how we "need" traditions and such and the one we do have every game, couldn't make it out in the rain. Funny.

• Upvote 1

Didn't miss Boomer as much as the stats usually provided on the big screen. With Dunbar going for all those records, it would have been nice to know the status like we have had in ever other home game.

Or how about doing something with the scores on the small screen? It tells us how many minutes are left, but not which quarter?

And it was running two different scores for the same game at the same time? If we don't have the technology to show the scores correctly, don't do a half a job, just don't do it at all!

• Upvote 1

I was just as disappointed as the rest of you to not hear Boomer all afternoon long. That was the kind of game I had imagined we could have while getting him ready to go again this summer.

Boomer can certainly operate in the rain and has always done so in the past. It simply requires some additional time afterward to maintain, clean up and wipe down. In fact, the most important part of his firing procedure requires that the inside of the barrel is properly swabbed with a wet sponge rod to ensure that there are not any remaining embers left before reloading.

I asked about his wearabouts last night and received contradicting information. So all I can say is that I apologize that this tradition wasn't part of such a memorable and historical night like last night. There still remains some kinks to work out that for sure. Just know we are working on a solution and that I will do my best to get it corrected by next August. I think 2012 is going to be a blast!

Rick

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

I was just as disappointed as the rest of you to not hear Boomer the Talons all afternoon season long. That was the kind of game I had imagined we could have while getting him the Talons ready to go again this summer.

Boomer The Talons can certainly operate in the rain and has always done so in the past. It simply requires some additional time afterward to maintain, clean up and wipe down. In fact, the most important part of his the Talons firing procedure requires that it be at least 75 degrees, but not over 90 degrees and there be no rain in 100 miles of the game the inside of the barrel is properly swabbed with a wet sponge rod to ensure that there are not any remaining embers left before reloading.

I asked about the Talons his wearabouts last night and received contradicting information. So all I can say is that I apologize that the Talons, the University sponsored spirit group this tradition wasn't part of such a memorable and historical night like last night. There still remains some kinks to work out that for sure. Just know we are working on a solution and that I will do my best to get it corrected by next August. I think 2012 is going to be a blast!

Rick

Hey Rick,

I fixed this for you and I'm sure you, emmitt and Rudy will make sure this doesn't happen again.

• Upvote 1

I was just as disappointed as the rest of you to not hear Boomer all afternoon long. That was the kind of game I had imagined we could have while getting him ready to go again this summer.

Boomer can certainly operate in the rain and has always done so in the past. It simply requires some additional time afterward to maintain, clean up and wipe down. In fact, the most important part of his firing procedure requires that the inside of the barrel is properly swabbed with a wet sponge rod to ensure that there are not any remaining embers left before reloading.

I asked about his wearabouts last night and received contradicting information. So all I can say is that I apologize that this tradition wasn't part of such a memorable and historical night like last night. There still remains some kinks to work out that for sure. Just know we are working on a solution and that I will do my best to get it corrected by next August. I think 2012 is going to be a blast!

Rick

Great post Rick! GMG!