Columbia (12/3/11)

CMJ

We are down 15, but in my opinion, we are having one of our best games.. we are under control... not turning the ball over (5 To's so far)... the bottom line is we are not making our shots.. making our shots will come.. hopefully this game.. but I like how we are starting to look more D1 in our attack.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 6

We are down 15, but in my opinion, we are having one of our best games.. we are under control... not turning the ball over (5 To's so far)... the bottom line is we are not making our shots.. making our shots will come.. hopefully this game.. but I like how we are starting to look more D1 in our attack.

And we are ahead in almost every statistical category except points made.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 3

Everyone is hitting me with negatives, but are y'all watching this game? We got beat by 3's. yes, that needs to improve, but we are playing a much more complete game... probably won't pull this one out, but I like the improvements in this game.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

I can't remember watching even a high school team that has been this bad at jump shots over a stretch of games this long. Do we have anyone who can shoot a jump shot?

NO and there are too many goals on campus for not one of these guys to be able to shoot! No one who will drive to the basket either, post game has been disappointing as well. If we had someone who could even catch the ball on the block would help tremendously with ball movement. We also need someone to step up and lead by example, Franklin is trying (love the effort) but uh,,,,?!? Screw it put all of em on the line JJ, we look out of shape too! :gym:

We had a decent showing tonight, I think we had about 35 people there (the Walton clan was about 15) in my estimation. We were pretty vocal too...I hope you could hear us.

Honestly, I think we played well? Columbia shot lights out...those kids couldn't miss. As much as it looks like they were defensive breakdowns on video, I assure you sitting in the 3rd row, we were playing our asses off on D.

Our biggest problem was we couldn't score a freaking bucket from 6 feet in. That was brutal...must have missed twelve or more.

The point where I knew the game was lost was around five minutes to go...we were down 7, had a fast break, and the pass went off our hands as we were going in for a layup.

Brutal.

• Upvote 1

I can't you bball fans any smack without the overreaction? How many times have those on the football board seen the exact same thing posted about basketball. Just trying to give some of it back.

Call me when your team wins a D1 game...

Hate to break it to ya, but it's YOUR team too!

• Upvote 2

I can't you bball fans any smack without the overreaction? How many times have those on the football board seen the exact same thing posted about basketball.

"You guys can always come to the basketball forum if you need some relief" "Only 2 months until basketball starts" "Too bad no one ever comes to the Pit to see what is going on with basketball"

Just trying to give some of it back.

Perhaps it was because your post directly followed my breakdown of the night.

BUT, I don't see much of the basketball team either considering I live in Los Angeles. Not easy for me to check out much of anything. :P

Edited by CMJ

You just aren't trying hard enough I guess!

I have never called out anyone who lives out of state? I haven't even called out all the NT alums I know that live in LA for not coming tonight to our game. In fact, I don't think I participate in bitching about lack of attendance much at all. I know I have on occasion (so don't look through archives), but it's not something I like to do because I don't know their life story.

We had a decent showing tonight, I think we had about 35 people there (the Walton clan was about 15) in my estimation. We were pretty vocal too...I hope you could hear us.

Honestly, I think we played well? Columbia shot lights out...those kids couldn't miss. As much as it looks like they were defensive breakdowns on video, I assure you sitting in the 3rd row, we were playing our asses off on D.

Our biggest problem was we couldn't score a freaking bucket from 6 feet in. That was brutal...must have missed twelve or more.

The point where I knew the game was lost was around five minutes to go...we were down 7, had a fast break, and the pass went off our hands as we were going in for a layup.

Brutal.

CMJ and Cooley are the resident hoops gurus, so all I can give is my eyewitness but amateur perspective on the game. But CMJ hit it on the head, though I would add that the offensive game lacked a lot in discpline and concentration. Columbia was the embodiement of the cliche about Ivy League basketball. Not very quick or athletic (save for their number 10; he's their Jose Barea and gave our defense fits), but they had intense fundamentals and concentration. They hit about everything they threw up (at half, it was 80% for 3s) and never got rattled. But our guys were so much quicker and more physical. They pressed the inbounds, trapped the ball, and as CMJ also said, contested most of the 3 attempts. But offensively there were a lot of mishandled passes, missed put-backs, and indecisive shot selections to keep up with Columbia tonight. I hope it's just a case of young guys still adjusting to each other and it will improve (which it should).

And though it also sounds like a cliche, one particular ref was a total A-hole tonight.

Edited by Shuke-D
  • Upvote 3

I'd like to call out Tasty for skipping the football game. That dirtbag gave up his football season tickets to spend money on airline tickets and game tickets to the LMU tournament just to go watch the UNT basketball team.

We will never be big time as long as we have fans like him.

I've missed 3 or 4 football games for basketball road trips.

This is the only time I've ever had cause to regret it. Sounds like I missed quite a football game.

And though it also sounds like a cliche, one particular ref was a total A-hole tonight.

Any time we lose, no matter by how much, the refs are never to be blamed on this board. I'm sure someone will come on here soon to tell you how much of a basketball idiot you are, but it won't be me.

Call it how you see it.

• Upvote 1