Sir Calvin (and a bit about Colton Moorehead)

I know that some of you are interested in Sir Calvin Wallace given UNT’s need at defensive tackle.

There was an article in the local paper last week that I just now got around to reading. The article was on Sir Calvin, along with the other Chapel Hill defensive tackle from last year’s team – now playing defensive end – Colton Moorehead, who was first-team all-state as a DT in 2010.

Some tidbits from the article (this article was published prior to last week’s game vs. Navasota so the stats would need to be updated – Sir Calvin and Colton both had great games):

• Moorehead leads the team in sacks – six

• Moorehead has 10 tackles for a loss

• Moorehead is 6’3”, 255 lbs

• Wallace is known around Chapel Hill as “Z-ro” because he looks like the Houston rapper

• Wallace right now is 6’2”, 292 lbs

• Head Coach Thomas Sitton’s quote about Sir Calvin “He’s one of the more athletic big kids I have ever been around. He runs well, changes direction well. He’s hard to block, and he does a good job of getting penetration and making plays.”

• Wallace has 54 tackles, eight for a loss, and three sacks

• Wallace missed the first four games of the season

• A Wallace quote “I don’t mind being double-teamed. If I get double-teamed, Moorehead can get the pressure and get a sack or a linebacker could come in and make a big play. As long as it’s helping the team, it doesn’t bother me.”

As I have said before, I know it is not feasible for UNT to take another CH player. But I have no doubt that in prior years Moorehead would have been a big “get” for UNT. He has a huge upside and is a big team-leader.

GMG

• Upvote 3

I know that some of you are interested in Sir Calvin Wallace given UNT’s need at defensive tackle.

There was an article in the local paper last week that I just now got around to reading. The article was on Sir Calvin, along with the other Chapel Hill defensive tackle from last year’s team – now playing defensive end – Colton Moorehead, who was first-team all-state as a DT in 2010.

Some tidbits from the article (this article was published prior to last week’s game vs. Navasota so the stats would need to be updated – Sir Calvin and Colton both had great games):

• Wallace is known around Chapel Hill as “Z-ro” because he looks like the Houston rapper

• Head Coach Thomas Sitton’s quote about Sir Calvin “He’s one of the more athletic big kids I have ever been around. He runs well, changes direction well. He’s hard to block, and he does a good job of getting penetration and making plays.”

• A Wallace quote “I don’t mind being double-teamed. If I get double-teamed, Moorehead can get the pressure and get a sack or a linebacker could come in and make a big play. As long as it’s helping the team, it doesn’t bother me.”

As I have said before, I know it is not feasible for UNT to take another CH player. But I have no doubt that in prior years Moorehead would have been a big “get” for UNT. He has a huge upside and is a big team-leader.

GMG

why would it not be feasible to take another CH player? if the kid can play, then why would it matter?

Colton doesn't show up on espn, rivals, and scout... I have no doubts that if Colton is a player, DMAC and company have evaluated the kid. he seems to have decent size.

I know we can use 3 more to go with Sir Calvin and Dylan McDorman... Especially since Micah Thompson is now an O-lineman and Terrell Brooks is no longer with the team...

During Hayden Fry's first or second at NT, Fry signed 6 or 8 players from one HS, Carter HS in Dallas.

I believe Carter had won the state championship that year, so Fry wanted players from a championship team.

Carter HS arranged a LOI signing day event for players and their families. Hayden Fry attended the event too.

The LOI signing day event made big sports news in Dallas. (I think Hayden played a big role in setting up

the LOI event though his contacts with the local Dallas sports media)

The signing day event included both the Dallas newspapers, who ran front page photos of the players, Fry, and the story. The local Dallas TV stations sports reporters were at the LOI day event too. The stations ran the

story on their sports shows that same day.

My point is, if one HS team is loaded with tallent, why not recruit all the players available?

I see no reason why Coach McCareny would not recruit the college level talent of the top players at Chaple Hill HS. If the players meet the criteria the staff wants and needs, recruit all of them.

Same recruiting apporach for any HS in Texas. If a team is loaded with talent, why not go after all the

talented players?

• Upvote 3

why would it not be feasible to take another CH player? if the kid can play, then why would it matter?

Colton doesn't show up on espn, rivals, and scout... I have no doubts that if Colton is a player, DMAC and company have evaluated the kid. he seems to have decent size.

I know we can use 3 more to go with Sir Calvin and Dylan McDorman... Especially since Micah Thompson is now an O-lineman and Terrell Brooks is no longer with the team...

Well, I don't disagree with you but there have been several on this board who have made negative comments about the number of 2012 recruits coming from one high school - and especially a 3-A high school - so I think the coaching staff would catch hell if they took another CH athlete.

And you are also right about two other things - one, Colton Moorehead is flying way low on the radar and two, he was at the camp that Dan McCarney held on the CH campus back in the late spring......so perhaps McCarney did not see what he was looking for in Moorehead.

Nothing in this for me - I am just impressed with the kid as a fan sitting in the stands for the past two years - he is a very good athlete AND he shows the leadership qualities that Laramie Lee showed last year.

His Head Coach, Thomas Sitton, was quoted in the same article as saying of Moorehead "He takes good angles and he is constantly working his hands, working to the upfield shoulder. He does a good job on the pass rush."

He gave his verbal commitment to Northwestern State last Tuesday. But Laramie Lee also gave his commitment first to Wyoming, then to UTSA before finally committing to UNT, which was where he wanted to go all along.

Maybe if other D-line prospects do not pan out for UNT McCarney will find Moorehead worth the time as a "project".

• Upvote 1

During Hayden Fry's first or second at NT, Fry signed 6 or 8 players from one HS, Carter HS in Dallas.

I believe Carter had won the state championship that year, so Fry wanted players from a championship team.

Carter HS arranged a LOI signing day event for players and their families. Hayden Fry attended the event too.

The LOI signing day event made big sports news in Dallas. (I think Hayden played a big role in setting up

the LOI event though his contacts with the local Dallas sports media)

The signing day event included both the Dallas newspapers, who ran front page photos of the players, Fry, and the story. The local Dallas TV stations sports reporters were at the LOI day event too. The stations ran the

story on their sports shows that same day.

My point is, if one HS team is loaded with tallent, why not recruit all the players available?

I see no reason why Coach McCareny would not recruit the college level talent of the top players at Chaple Hill HS. If the players meet the criteria the staff wants and needs, recruit all of them.

Same recruiting apporach for any HS in Texas. If a team is loaded with talent, why not go after all the

talented players?

As impressive as Chapel Hill is for a 3-A school, they are not in the same class as Dallas Carter was in the day.

• Upvote 1

As impressive as Chapel Hill is for a 3-A school, they are not in the same class as Dallas Carter was in the day.

Maybe so, but if Colton Moorehead is a D1 caliber defensive lineman, then we need to go after him. Lord knows, that is our weakest position.

• Upvote 1

Well, I don't disagree with you but there have been several on this board who have made negative comments about the number of 2012 recruits coming from one high school - and especially a 3-A high school - so I think the coaching staff would catch hell if they took another CH athlete.

And you are also right about two other things - one, Colton Moorehead is flying way low on the radar and two, he was at the camp that Dan McCarney held on the CH campus back in the late spring......so perhaps McCarney did not see what he was looking for in Moorehead.

Nothing in this for me - I am just impressed with the kid as a fan sitting in the stands for the past two years - he is a very good athlete AND he shows the leadership qualities that Laramie Lee showed last year.

His Head Coach, Thomas Sitton, was quoted in the same article as saying of Moorehead "He takes good angles and he is constantly working his hands, working to the upfield shoulder. He does a good job on the pass rush."

He gave his verbal commitment to Northwestern State last Tuesday. But Laramie Lee also gave his commitment first to Wyoming, then to UTSA before finally committing to UNT, which was where he wanted to go all along.

Maybe if other D-line prospects do not pan out for UNT McCarney will find Moorehead worth the time as a "project".

Well, he (or someone) seems to have been successful with another "project" Tevin Cantley. Cantley was not living up to his potential until Coach Mac arrived. Now look at him.

As to multiple signings from a HS. I seem to recall that Brandon Byrd was a big "get" for us, but his teammate Brelan Chancellor (who appeared to be the unknown sign of the class) is the one who turned out to be an immediate difference maker.

Here is an article from today's ST about Timberview HS and how many of their good players are being overlooked.

http://www.star-telegram.com/2011/12/06/3576285/college-scouts-miss-out-on-mansfield.html

Here is the part of the article that I found most interesting.

"Yet Timberview may have more individual talent than ever before when it suits up against Spring Dekaney in the Class 5A Division II state semifinals Saturday in Round Rock.

Senior quarterback Charles Taylor, who is committed to play baseball at UT Arlington, runs the zone-read offense reminiscent of Vince Young at Texas.

Taylor has 3,750 total yards of offense (1,913 rushing) and 37 touchdowns.

Then there's linebacker Michael Adefolarin, who has 14 tackles for loss, six sacks, two interceptions and four forced fumbles.

There's 6-foot-1, 190-pound defensive back Trevor Walker (three interceptions and eight pass breakups), 300-pound defensive tackle Jeremy Miller (62 tackles, eight for loss) and linebacker Sheldon Gatewood (eight tackles for loss, two interceptions and five forced fumbles).

Well, he (or someone) seems to have been successful with another "project" Tevin Cantley. Cantley was not living up to his potential until Coach Mac arrived. Now look at him.

As to multiple signings from a HS. I seem to recall that Brandon Byrd was a big "get" for us, but his teammate Brelan Chancellor (who appeared to be the unknown sign of the class) is the one who turned out to be an immediate difference maker.

Here is an article from today's ST about Timberview HS and how many of their good players are being overlooked.

http://www.star-telegram.com/2011/12/06/3576285/college-scouts-miss-out-on-mansfield.html

Here is the part of the article that I found most interesting.

"Yet Timberview may have more individual talent than ever before when it suits up against Spring Dekaney in the Class 5A Division II state semifinals Saturday in Round Rock.

Senior quarterback Charles Taylor, who is committed to play baseball at UT Arlington, runs the zone-read offense reminiscent of Vince Young at Texas.

Taylor has 3,750 total yards of offense (1,913 rushing) and 37 touchdowns.

Then there's linebacker Michael Adefolarin, who has 14 tackles for loss, six sacks, two interceptions and four forced fumbles.

There's 6-foot-1, 190-pound defensive back Trevor Walker (three interceptions and eight pass breakups), 300-pound defensive tackle Jeremy Miller (62 tackles, eight for loss) and linebacker Sheldon Gatewood (eight tackles for loss, two interceptions and five forced fumbles).

I will say, I noticed a lot of improvement in Cantly against MTSU. Now how much of that is the fact that MTSU is bad I can't say but if e can get him to where he is at least a solid Sun Belt player it would be a huge plus. I have seen an improvement in him under this coaching staff which is encouraging because he has the size and tools.

GMG

Northwestern State for Moorehead per the announcers.

Sir Charles is no Booger Kennedy

Tucker seems like he will help

Still waiting for Rollins to show me something

Northwestern State for Moorehead per the announcers.

Sir Charles is no Booger Kennedy

Tucker seems like he will help

Still waiting for Rollins to show me something

I am no apologist for any of the UNT commits from CH. They have developed their own reputations on the playing field and hopefully they will all be very good players for UNT.

You are definitely entitled to your opinion regarding these three players based on the one game that you watched last night. But let me give you a bit of response with the following:

Last night I sat at the game with a friend, a CH alum, who has seen two CH games in the past two years – last years, and this years, state championship games. On the other hand, I have attended 26 of the 30 games CH has played the last two years, including all of the playoff games.

This friend bent my ear for about three hours telling me what he believed to be the potential collegiate success of many of these players based on what he was seeing in this one game (I doubt seriously he remembers any of the individual players he watched at last year’s championship game).

I listened politely (although sometimes it was difficult to keep my bombastic mouth shut) and enjoyed the game knowing that if there is one thing I have learned in 50 + years of watching middle school through professional football games it is that an adequate analysis of how good, or bad, an individual player is cannot be determined on the basis of one game. We have all witnessed great, great games by one-shot wonders (anyone remember Clint Longley’s pass to Drew Pearson against the Washington Redskins), and we have all seen great players have less-than-stellar games on occasion.

Personally, I think that individually all three of the players from CH that are UNT commits have had many better games in their high school careers than they played last night. But that was one helluva team they played last night. Ultimately, I think, one is judged on the body of their work – not one part of it.

Personally, I think all three of the CH recruits will be red-shirted (my opinion only – I have had no one at UNT or CH even remotely suggest that such would be the case); I think that all three have the potential to be very good players for UNT; and I think we will know in 3 – 4 years whether this UNT coaching staff can turn these projects into winners.

Another Booger? UNT has not had one since – and I am not promising that Sir Calvin will play at that level. But I don’t think you or anyone else can make such a blanket statement based on watching him play a single high school game.

GMG

• Upvote 1

One thing I noticed about all 3 players is that thye physically look ready to play. These aren't kids who look like they weigh in a 175 and won't ever be above 190. All these kids have good frames to continue to add mass.

Sir CW was tough to judge in this game bc of the way that Alverado decided to block him. It's tough for a big man to deal with constant chop blocks. But I did appreciate his hustle as he was always still involved in the tackle.

One thing I noticed about all 3 players is that thye physically look ready to play. These aren't kids who look like they weigh in a 175 and won't ever be above 190. All these kids have good frames to continue to add mass.

Sir CW was tough to judge in this game bc of the way that Alverado decided to block him. It's tough for a big man to deal with constant chop blocks. But I did appreciate his hustle as he was always still involved in the tackle.

If he is having trouble handling chop blocks , he will have to learn to play with his hands more. Very few big HS linemen, especially ones on the 3 A level, have good hand skills coming out of HS. If he goes against a Lemon or Y'Barboe he will get stoned everytime, no matter how big or strong he is. It will take some time for him to learn this.

Edited by Voice of Reason
  • Upvote 2

• 2 years later...

But will Wallace be on the team by then?

I have not seen Moorehead play since the state championship game in 2011. He signed with Northwestern State and was back home, sitting in the CH stands, in late September of 2012. Obviously something happened, and quickly, at Northwestern to cause him to leave.

I understand from very UNreliable sources that he missed being at home - and by going to TJC he was able to accomplish both - the next level of football and be at home.

If UNT now has an interest, perhaps Colton has "grown" up a bit and is ready to go away to a university to play some football.

I marveled many times at how Sir Calvin was recruited by the Mean Green coaches and Colton was not - I have to be honest; after watching Sir Calvin for every high school game for two years, I would not have recruited him at a D1 university. Sir Calvin did not overly distinguish himself among the CH community - always seemed to have various ailments that would not have kept a driven player from being on the field - the term "Wussy" was thrown around a lot, even by some of the lower level coaches. How I wish and hope that Sir Calvin has progressed beyond that but........I was told by a very REliable source that McCarney tried to run Sir Calvin off, and Sir Calvin showed a little backbone by refusing to go quietly.

Colton, on the other hand, had a big body that could accomodate growth in size and strength - Yes, he was a project but he had a helluva upside in my opinion. I never felt that way about Sir Calvin.

But the big thing with Colton was that he had a "motor" - He was a great leader for the Chapel Hill squad and I always thought that he would have ultimately been a vocal, physical, and inspirational leader for the Mean Green.

I hope he has grown emotionally and physically to the point that McCarney and the coaches see some potential......hell, here we are in 2014 and our DT situation ain't much different that it was back in 2011 when this whole thread began.

GMG