There are reports on the local radio that a deal could be worked out (in the works right now) that would trade Van Exel for Alonzo Mourning and Jermain Oneal. Karl Malone says that Dallas is his number one choice to finish his career at.

I think we should pick up Malone in the offseason through free agency and keep Nick.

There are reports on the local radio that a deal could be worked out (in the works right now) that would trade Van Exel for Alonzo Mourning and Jermain Oneal.  Karl Malone says that Dallas is his number one choice to finish his career at.

I think we should pick up Malone in the offseason through free agency and keep Nick.

So the Mavs would get Mourning and O'Neal while only giving up one major contributor? They had better jump on that. If they get those two, there would be no need to spend money (if they had any) on Malone.

One other thing about Malone, he is not an interior player anymore. If you get frustrated with Raef floating around outside, and you think Malone would be any different, then you haven't seen Malone play over the last couple of years. He hardly ever posts anyone up no matter how much bigger he is, and I am not convinced he would solve any of those problems the Mavs had on the offensive end.

Where did you hear this trade rumor UNT96, and was it a report or just some guys daydreaming?

I heard the guys on the Ticket talking about it so I checked out ESPN to see if they had anything to back it up and they did, here is the blurb (I think the Ticket guys look on the ESPN team webpage for material as there is almost always an article on ESPN when they are talking about the Mavs):

Richie Whitt of the Fort Worth Star-Telegram writes the Mavs need to acquire more muscle this offseason. With that in mind, Whitt writes in his July 9 article that the team could work out trades for Alonzo Mourning and Jermaine O'Neal, while losing Nick Van Exel in the process. According to the story, the Mavs have two cap exceptions this summer to work a deal with the Heat and/or the Pacers. Whitt writes the Mavericks would consider sending Van Exel and Avery Johnson to the Pacers for O'Neal and Austin Croshere. "There are definitely some interesting sign-and-trade possibilities out there," owner Mark Cuban told the newspaper.

NBA Draft: Mavericks

Ball in Nellie's court

Although he hasn't started negotiations, owner Mark Cuban plans to give Don Nelson what he wants: a contract to coach for the next three seasons, the Fort Worth Star-Telegram reported. "He did a great job," Cuban told the newspaper June 2. "Every year we have improved, and I'm looking forward to that trend continuing with Nellie at the helm." Nelson wouldn't say whether he would accept the three-year offer, remaining true to his original statement that he would rest for two weeks in Maui before he decides his future: "I really don't want to negotiate in the newspaper, but this is good news as far as I'm concerned."

Report: Mailman considering Mavs

Could these two form a Dynamic Duo in Dallas?

Imagine Dirk Nowitzki and Karl Malone playing beside each other. It just might happen. Malone told The Dallas Morning News the Mavericks are one of the leading contenders for his services next season. The free-agent forward, who has spent his 18-year NBA career with the Utah Jazz, is considering joining another team in an attempt to make a last run at a championship. "(The Mavericks) definitely are high on the list," Malone said. "And I don't have a very long list, either." Malone, one of the most durable players in NBA history, has said he would like to play two more seasons. He turns 40 in July. He has 36,374 points in his career, and needs 2,014 to pass Kareem Abdul-Jabbar as the all-time leading scorer.

To consider letting go of Van Exel after this past post-season seems blasphemous (sp.?). However, if it meant picking up Jermaine O' Neal I'm all for it! I agree with you Ironman about Malone. He is a shell of his former self, and he wouldn't provide as much "muscle" inside as everyone seems to think. He does make us better, but I'd MUCH rather have O' Neal. Let's hope Cuban makes this deal happen.

One other thing I was wondering about: If we do this Van Exel/A. J. for J. O' Neal/Croshere deal, who will we use at backup point guard? We all know Nash's style of play, and a good backup is vital to our team. Anyone heard of any free agent PG's running around? Or maybe we use our draft picks here?