St. Gregory (11/11/11)

CMJ

Troy is playing Texas Tech on ESPN3 right now if anyone wants a preview of the TT team we play on Wed. Man, Troy's style of play is so ugly and hard to watch... they are still a 3 point shooting team that looks chaotic.

The announcers just said tech has never lost to a sunbelt team! What?!

• Upvote 1

Students really turned out last night. If we get that for every game, we will average 3500. THoughts on what I saw:

Chris Jones is the real deal and will break the assist record before his time at UNT is done. There is only one weakness in his game (his outside shot) which I have no doubt will be improved with some work. He has court vision that we have not seen around here in a long time.

Jordan Williams is crazy athletic. On the alleyoop right before the final buzzer, Williams caight the pass at what I thought was the pinnacle of his leap, but he just kept going up (probably another foot and a half). I wasn't the only one to feel this way, as that play broiught oohs and ahs from the crowd even though Williams missed the dunk. He is still raw and his game is not as refined as Chris Jones's, but he has unbelievable potential.

Forrest Robinson needs to add some weight. He has a silky smooth shot for a big man, but he gets pushed around alot. Against a NAIA team. I watched him get pushed off the block many times last night. Some of it is fundamentals (he needs to spread his legs and lower his base), but a lot of it is strength, also. Lots of potential, but really needs to hit the weight room and start ingesting 20,000 calories a day. The coaching staff is using Forrest as a post and there is going to be some adjustment time. His jumper from the elbow is butter, though.

Franklin will hit the open shot, play great defense, and will hustle on every play. I was hoping to see more of him last night. He is one of the leaders of this team already. That was clear last night.

Brandon Walton may hit 4 three pointers in a row, and then may miss his next 8. A streak shooter than can fill it up when hot. Deep range from outside (when he is on).

Nikko will play inside. Look good against inferior competition. Need to see him against TTech before you can really get a feel for what he will give you.

Holman looks better. He still fights the temptation to take the fall away or the outside shot instead of taking the ball to the hole when he should,.Having Jones in the lineup with him is going to really help his game.

Ked is Ked.

Edwards looks healthy, but still a little slow. I wouldn't look for a lot of offense from him. The good news is we won't need it.

Trey Norris reminds me a lot of a very young Josh White (both the good and the bad). There was a noticable drop in level of play when Jones went to the bench. Trey may be listed at 6 foot, but he is lucky to hit 5'9" (at least he's not the size of the 1st grader playing for St. Gregory). A work in progress.

Granted, a lot of this is based on seeing one game against far inferior competition, but I can't tell you how high I am on Chris Jones and how much I am looking forward to watching he and Tony Mitchell for at least the next 2 years. This is going to be something really special next year (barring injuries and eligibility issues). Just be patient this year, as there will be ups and downs.

I will make the prediction that Chris Jones will be at least 2nd or 3rd team All-Belt at the end of the year.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 1

Students really turned out last night. If we get that for every game, we will average 3500. THoughts on what I saw:

Chris Jones is the real deal and will break the assist record before his time at UNT is done. There is only one weakness in his game (his outside shot) which I have no doubt will be improved with some work. He has court vision that we have not seen around here in a long time.

Jordan Williams is crazy athletic. On the alleyoop right before the final buzzer, Williams caight the pass at what I thought was the pinnacle of his leap, but he just kept going up (probably another foot and a half). I wasn't the only one to feel this way, as that play broiught oohs and ahs from the crowd even though Williams missed the dunk. He is still raw and his game is not as refined as Chris Jones's, but he has unbelievable potential.

Forrest Robinson needs to add some weight. He has a silky smooth shot for a big man, but he gets pushed around alot. Against a NAIA team. I watched him get pushed off the block many times last night. Some of it is fundamentals (he needs to spread his legs and lower his base), but a lot of it is strength, also. Lots of potential, but really needs to hit the weight room and start ingesting 20,000 calories a day. The coaching staff is using Forrest as a post and there is going to be some adjustment time. His jumper from the elbow is butter, though.

Franklin will hit the open shot, play great defense, and will hustle on every play. I was hoping to see more of him last night. He is one of the leaders of this team already. That was clear last night.

Brandon Walton may hit 4 three pointers in a row, and then may miss his next 8. A streak shooter than can fill it up when hot. Deep range from outside (when he is on).

Nikko will play inside. Look good against inferior competition. Need to see him against TTech before you can really get a feel for what he will give you.

Holman looks better. He still fights the temptation to take the fall away or the outside shot instead of taking the ball to the hole when he should,.Having Jones in the lineup with him is going to really help his game.

Ked is Ked.

Edwards looks healthy, but still a little slow. I wouldn't look for a lot of offense from him. The good news is we won't need it.

Trey Norris reminds me a lot of a very young Josh White (both the good and the bad). There was a noticable drop in level of play when Jones went to the bench. Trey may be listed at 6 foot, but he is lucky to hit 5'9" (at least he's not the size of the 1st grader playing for St. Gregory). A work in progress.

Granted, a lot of this is based on seeing one game against far inferior competition, but I can't tell you how high I am on Chris Jones and how much I am looking forward to watching he and Tony Mitchell for at least the next 2 years. This is going to be something really special next year (barring injuries and eligibility issues). Just be patient this year, as there will be ups and downs.

I will make the prediction that Chris Jones will be at least 2nd or 3rd team All-Belt at the end of the year.

I agree with your assessments 100%. I am particularly excited about Chris Jones. He has Jason Kidd type instincts but plays like Kidd did as a freshman in college. I think Jones' outside shot is a lot better than Kidd's though. (I know that's high praise but just saying).

I am also real excited about the progress of Alonzo Edwards. He's got his hops back and should help a ton on the boards.

Yes, Forrest looked uncomfortable and out of sorts a bit. I agree.

This is a great, great recruiting class even without Tony Mitchell.

I am super excited and I think the Metroplex will catch on to what we have going on here, although it may take until the end of the year.

• Upvote 1

Not trying to be a wet blanket or anything, but Jacob Holmen shouldn't play the 3. There were quite a few times last night where you could tell he was hesitant to go out to the perimeter and then when he charged hard to close out he got beat off the dribble. Playing the 3 forces him to the outside and he still has an itchy trigger finger with the ball in his hands and doesn't take advantage of his size on the offensive end (turn around fades against 6'2 kids etc.). While having 3 guys on the floor 6'7+ is advantageous I think Holmen would probably be best served being the first guy off the bench for Kedrick with Franklin taking is spot in the starting line up.