SO, IT'S HIGH SCHOOL FOOTBALL PLAYOFF SEASON

SilverEagle

One person states that a coach friend looked into pricing and was told that Apogee is $23,000 per game and we all take it as gospel. I would really be curious to know if this is in fact true.

Yeah...people just make stuff up all the time. I heard the price to host a playoff game at Apogee was a $1,000 Mean Green Club membership + electricity expenses.

Guys, I don't care what you've heard, there will be a playoff game here next week.

Don't see any games scheduled there yet as of this morning. Celina plays Sanger at Bronco Stadium & Argyle plays Commerce at C.H. Collins, those are the only 2 games in Denton that I've seen so far.

I cannot imagine that our University would let an opportunity go by to have a bunch of TEXAS football fanatics (ie the parents and relatives, and community members of the two playoff teams) come to our fabulous football facility. And then subsequently take it back home to their respective communities that NORTH TEXAS HAS GOT SOMETHING REALLY SPECIAL GOING ON.

Or am I giving our officials too much credit on this?

• Upvote 2

No bi-district games are schedule for the stadium this week. There are still many more rounds to go, though.

The problem with our stadium might be its location. It's really not a central point for any larger 5A/4A schools and it might be too big/pricey for the smaller schools to want to come.

I imagine that as the playoffs push on that there will be interest. I would be really surprised if there wasn't a game played there this year.

You have to have good relations with Texas HS AD's and football coaches and not just the ones you meet during recruiting.

North Texas athletic officials may not have had time to promote Apogee to HS's since they were sorta' getting her ready for the Mean Green and trying to figure out how to deal with opening a new stadium with what we knew would be parking problems for those who parked on campus with their long walk plus..............the crowd flow w/o the Pedestrian Bridge we will have in play next Fall. I think that bridge over Interstate 35-E is going to dramatically improve our whole Game Day situation in 2012 more than most will ever believe. All we need now is a good football team. . \

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

I think I remember that we have a UNT Athletic Department SID who told us, on this board, that he would post on gmg.com and clear up any questions/misinformation we might have related to the UNT Athletic Department and its functions.

Unfortunately, I don't remember this person being on this board doing what he said he was going to do.

Our Athletic Director did say, at one point during the construction of the stadium, that there would be multiple high school playoff games at the new stadium.

This seems like a perfect opportunity for the SID to jump in and give us some factual information.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I agree with Denton not being centrally located in regards to UIL Regions. It might be more in line with SemiFinal games in Round 5.

It was my experience while coaching and in administration that the Chamber of Commerce was usually the one that sought out the playoff teams for their city. Don't know if they were involved in getting the two games being played in Denton this weekend.

One person states that a coach friend looked into pricing and was told that Apogee is $23,000 per game and we all take it as gospel. I would really be curious to know if this is in fact true.

The cost for renting the stadium is very much true. I was told by a local High School Coach friend of mine that how much UNT is charging local high schools.

Yes, a high school game could be played there, especially during the later rounds if a 5A/4A from east Texas meets up with a team from west Texas.

• Upvote 1

Interesting question. I too recall RV mentioning HS playoff games at Apogee and I fully expect we will see HS playoff games at Apogee...this year or next. But, what is even more interesting to me is that so-called supporters of UNT continue to question each and everything that takes place within the department. It doesn't seem to matter if they have any facts or not, they just seem to believe that whatever happened, the UNT Athletic Dept. will either sit on its hands or make the wrong decision.

With supporters like these........

Has anyone ever thought that what is happening is exactly what was planned to happen?

Apogee is a great recruiting tool for the Mean green. Coach Mac and RV have each said this more than once. So, if that is the case, why would they not be planning HS playoff games at Apogee? Come on folks...this year, next year...who knows, but I would fully expect to see playoff games at Apogee.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 3

But, what is even more interesting to me is that so-called supporters of UNT continue to question each and everything that takes place within the department. It doesn't seem to matter if they have any facts or not, they just seem to believe that whatever happened, the UNT Athletic Dept. will either sit on its hands or make the wrong decision.

So? The day people stop questioning is the day the world goes to the dark side. We have every single right to question every single thing the athletic department does.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 3